Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger King in Cork - Why only One?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

RoverJames wrote: »
    With McDonalds breakfast menu and extended opening hours along with their recent refurbs they have I reckon changed the image from simply a fastfood outlet to an almost cafe type place too, BK is still simply a fastfood type outlet, people call into McDonalds for a coffee and a cookie now, not just for the fast food meals.

BK still much much nicer than McDo though, however posh the latter thinks it is these days ;)

Most definitely, BK is grand grub, folks don't call in there for a coffee and cookie though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »
    Most definitely, BK is grand grub, folks don't call in there for a coffee and cookie though :)

I absolutley detest the place partially because when I was working in the UK I ate there everyday..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

What happened to the BK Flame Grilled Chicken Sandwich (think that was the name). It was like a chicken fillet (no breadcrumbs like the Royale) flame grilled in a Whopper bun with mayonaise, tomato and lettuce. It just disappeared a few years ago never to return, was lovely and a good alternative to beef for a change. It kind of looked like the Rustlers one

185919.png

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm a fan of BK's whoppers and I was looking at their website earlier today. While BK have about 15+ outlets in Dublin, and a couple each in Limerick and Galway, there is only one in all of Cork - on Patrick Street.

there is only one in galway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

barbs84 wrote: »

there is only one in galway

Galway city is less than half the size of Cork. Plus, Galway has loads of Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Have Irish BKs started selling this yet?

BK_X-tra-Long-Chili_Cheese_Print.jpg

It is amazing!

This has landed. It's one of the specials at the moment and tastes more or less the same as it does in Germany/Switzerland, which is good enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Same price as in that ad also?

Ludo wrote: »
    Same price as in that ad also?

Unfortunately not, €4.40 or thereabouts. Still cheaper than Switzerland though!

Wow cheaper than Switzerland (most expensive country in world)... Great.

• Advertisement

It's a personal thing, I used to live there so I'm quite happy to be paying less than I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I thought Ireland held that title for a while, oh well those were the days.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    It's a personal thing, I used to live there so I'm quite happy to be paying less than I used to.

Wasn't having a pop at you by the way... Sorry if it came across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Nice one.....I know want a BK !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Was actually thinking yesterday that the old Esso site on the Western road would make a great location for a fast food drive through! I reckon a BK or MaccyDs would clean up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

does anyone know why the steakhouse angus burger is gone from burger king? nothing to do with horses by any chance is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

When I saw that the thread was brought back to life, I hoped a little that maybe there was news on another BK being opened. Dreams shattered and dashed again!:(

Really love the burgers there, just too awkward to go there if you are not in town for something else already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I heard McD tried to get planning for a drive-thru by the new Aldi in Ballincollig, but was turned down...

Seems Ballincollig are adament not to have any McD or BK

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Often heard rumours, the reason there is only 1 Burger King is that the guy who holds the Patrick Street franchise signed an exclusivity agreement with Burger King for 25 years in Cork City.

I believe BK opened in 1989 so this would be the last year of that agreement. Anyone else heard anything similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Lovely flavour from that there flame-grilling. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Often heard rumours, the reason there is only 1 Burger King is that the guy who holds the Patrick Street franchise signed an exclusivity agreement with Burger King for 25 years in Cork City.

I believe BK opened in 1989 so this would be the last year of that agreement. Anyone else heard anything similar ?

Burger King would NEVER EVER sign something like that. Its totally against their franchise plan and they most definitely have a more powerful hand when it comes to negotiating with Franchisees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Their fries are shyte. Shame, because their Chicken Royale burger is streets ahead of the McDonalds equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Yup, that's exactly what I heard.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_franchises
    Since its predecessor's inception in 1953, Burger King has used several variations of franchising to expand its operations. In the United States, the company originally relied on a regional franchise model with owners having exclusive expansion rights in a defined geographic territory. This model proved to be problematic as it led to issues of food quality, procedures and image management. A 1970s attempt by one of its largest franchises to take over the chain led to a restructuring of its franchising system, tossing the old method in favor of a restricted, per store licensing model. The 1978 restructuring, led by a new director of operations, firmly placed the mantel of franchise oversight on the shoulders of the company.

While Burger King still utilizes a version of its revamped franchising system in the United States, outside of North America its international locations licenses are still sold on a regional basis with franchises owning exclusive development rights for the region or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The same company - OKR Group - own and operate all of the Burger King's in Ireland - they are the sole franchisee for ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

evilivor wrote: »
    The same company - OKR Group - own and operate all of the Burger King's in Ireland - they are the sole franchisee for ROI.

Yep Old Kentucky Restaurants, based as it happens in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

evilivor wrote: »

Are you sure? Applegreen have started opening up Burger King outlets in their motorway service stations and even other non motorway locations (Tralee, Carlow) recently as part of Applegreen food courts. Would that not make Applegreen the franchisee for those branches?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Are you sure? Applegreen have started opening up Burger King outlets in their motorway service stations and even other non motorway locations (Tralee, Carlow) recently as part of Applegreen food courts. Would that not make Applegreen the franchisee for those branches?

Perhaps - they may be operating under licence from OKR or be brand new new franchises - certainly OKR were sole franchisee - may that was the 25 year agreement people mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Is it true hes from macroom and owns a helicoptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As if the city and surrounds hasn't got enough outlets selling fried rubbish.

• Advertisement

vince wrote: »
    Is it true hes from macroom and owns a helicoptor.

Yes to Macroom - not sure about helicopter.

Advertisement