Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner Insurance

• 14-12-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been quoted e1,600 for 9 months insurance in a 1.4 2008 Astra - I'm just about 17 and I was just wondering if this is a bit top heavy?

this quote was from aviva, is there any company that is usually good for learners (FYI I cannot get the learning to drive insurance from aviva, only a full policy because my parents have a business policy)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's an incredibly good quote to get. To put it into perspective, i'm 23 and i'm paying 900ish on a 1.4 polo, have my license 4 years, have 2 years no claims under my own name, and 3 named driving experience years.

For someone starting out, that's a great quote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

It is a fair quote. But try a few more place. Half an hour checking online brokers, half an hour phoning around could still save you couple of hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Thats a very decent quote I think.

A few of my younger mates who started driving at 17 on their own policy (TPFT) in 1.0's were quoted around 2250 and dearer.

Back in January I was quoted 1350 which I declined on a 1.4 Fiesta (named driver), baring in mind I had very little experience behind the wheel and 3 weeks ago I rang to see what quote Aviva would give me now and 1800 from now till September 12 is what they came back with.

But this time I've a lot more experience, done god knows how many lessons with Aviva themselves and reached Module 3 (some type of discount for your standard of driving doing the lessons).

I'm still scratching my head and wondering wtf but thats neither here or there.......

So yea shop around but I would be surprised if you could do better then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

That's an incredibly good quote to get. To put it into perspective, i'm 23 and i'm paying 900ish on a 1.4 polo, have my license 4 years, have 2 years no claims under my own name, and 3 named driving experience years.

I'm sorry Alan but I have to say it again, 23!!!? Always thought you were old enough to be my da!:pac:

And to the Topic on hand that's a fantastic quote. I paid €1460 3rd party on a 1.2 fiesta, full licence and 23 years of age. I got my renewal last week and it's down to €545 fully comp, 3 yrs no claims and the same motor. You'll always pay a high premium the first time but it does go down sharply when you have a few years no claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry Alan but I have to say it again, 23!!!? Always thought you were old enough to be my da!:pac:

Nah sure i'm only a young fella:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Dude I think you're doing something wrong... I'm 20 and it's 1100 for a 2L 05 320 coupe...TPFT :pac:

Op, learner insurance is always, always expensive. When I started out it was 2k on a 1.2 punto with Quinn for my own policy TPFT - everywhere else was throwing up stupid quotes 3+ grand

The one thing I'd be concerned about is that the policy is only 9 months, meaning you won't have any NCB afterwards.

Advertisement