Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are eircom still monitoring file sharing after E.U. ruling a few months ago?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

the scrote wrote: »
    where do i stand legally on this.I don't download but stream alot of movies online,is this a grey area aswell?

You are not doing the sharing there. The responsibility lies with the host of the data.

In p2p, you provide a return to others who are requesting a portion of the file you have available. Therefore you are making the data available to others.

Streaming does not do this. The most they can do is attempt to shut down the streaming host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

cheers jumpy,thought that alrite but wasn't 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Decitronic

clearz wrote: »
    Check out here if you want to see what torrents have been downloaded from your IP. http://www.youhavedownloaded.com/ I guess its all down to how static your dynamic IP is. I've noticed with Vodafone it's only a matter of restarting your router to get a new IP but with UPC they are a lot more fixed.

That's a bit unsettling if someone tried to pin an ip onto yourself. I have never downloaded from torrents [I can't believe people still do!] and it showed up a list of files too long to go through there. I'm well aware that people share the same ip address but it seems a bit mental if they were using ip addresses to identify people and pursue them.

Some sweet old lady looking up a recipe and bam she's know to the ground for downloading "Back door bakery sluts" 47 times in the last 32 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

ratedR wrote: »
    A friend of mine is with Eircom. He only signed up a few months back. Couple of weeks ago he got a letter in the door stating that he downloaded an album. It gave the full name of album and artist, time, date and the torrent client used.
    It wasnt a warning, just letting him know that they knew.

So yes, eircom definitely are monitoring fileshare and torrents.

I got that letter today, it said that IRMA had detected an album which was downloaded from an IP address associated with my account.

It then said that Eircom do not monitor filesharing.

They included a lovely little booklet on how to download a program which will rid my computer of illegally obtained files.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missilesting

i recieved the same letter its eircom just letting me know the recieved information from IRMA stating that on such a date at such a time my ip address was used to not download but share a music file, they even gave the track name and copyright holders name... they also stated that they themself where not moitering me but a independent company hired by IRMA and conducted monitoring on IRMA,S behalf resulted in my ip address been reported . Eircom also claim they will keep the notification on file for 1 year and it will be automatically deleted therafter unless they recieve another notice from IRMA or other parties ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zombie thread, locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement