Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Masters in Education

• 14-12-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hello all

i have a few questions related to said title.

mainly where is the best place to do one?

what is the cost roughly?

what is the time frame?

how feasible are they alongside flexible work?

are they accessible to people in far flung lands such as colombia?

do they enable the holder to work in ireland or indeed anywhere in the world?

apologies if any of the questions seem silly.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

hello all

i have a few questions related to said title.

mainly where is the best place to do one?

what is the cost roughly?

what is the time frame?

how feasible are they alongside flexible work?

are they accessible to people in far flung lands such as colombia?

do they enable the holder to work in ireland or indeed anywhere in the world?

apologies if any of the questions seem silly.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

There really are too many variables there to be able to give you an answer. Each course is going to be different and have different structure, costs, duration. Some might accommodate people working abroad and some might not. In terms of work it probably depends on the qualification you get, the area it's in and the country you are attempting to get work in.

Not to mind the area of study, you could be looking at doing one in Management in Education, Special Educational Needs, ICT in Education, all vastly different areas.

It would probably be better to research some of the colleges and courses available and come back and ask what people's experiences of those courses are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paddypajarro

There really are too many variables there to be able to give you an answer. Each course is going to be different and have different structure, costs, duration. Some might accommodate people working abroad and some might not. In terms of work it probably depends on the qualification you get, the area it's in and the country you are attempting to get work in.

Not to mind the area of study, you could be looking at doing one in Management in Education, Special Educational Needs, ICT in Education, all vastly different areas.

It would probably be better to research some of the colleges and courses available and come back and ask what people's experiences of those courses are.

I´ve been looking at the masters in secondary education or in english but have been unable to escape the myriad of u.s universities offering online courses whilst looking online.

thanks for your response.

Perhaps try using www.qualifax.ie

It allows you to search by course type, award type etc.

Masters is under Degree-Masters, and Degree- Masters Level 9 in the list.

Perhaps try using www.qualifax.ie

It allows you to search by course type, award type etc.

Masters is under Degree-Masters, and Degree- Masters Level 9 in the list.

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Hi paddypajaro,

Im doing an online masters with the Open University and think you can do it from almost anywhere in the world. I really like it because you do 3 modules for the MEd and the 1st one is compulsory. You can then pick any other two modules and there are quite a few to choose from so it is very good if you have an interest in a certain areas or you can pick two very different modules to give the masters some breadth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

There is also Hibernian online one - http://hiberniacollege.com/schoolofeducation/m-a-in-teaching-and-learning/

Alot of the uk universities have online masters - might be worth checking out as some good universities there.

thanks

trihead;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also doing the Open University course, can be demanding and a lot of self motivation but its a good course. all the tutorials etc are online so easy to do anywhere. Cost: about 2100 euro a year at the moment.

cheers people

in relation to the open university masters, how long will you be studying that for? i see that they say recommended time is 6 years but what time frame would you suggest? i´ll be working at least 6 hours a day spread out apart from the course work so im fully expecting it to be a demanding couple of years.

i work in english language teaching and am looking to do this as the better jobs here in colombia are becoming harder and harder to get without a masters so this with the linguistics modules could be ideal.

in terms of work in ireland, how well would this masters stand up?

would it be sufficient in lieu of the h dip or would that still be necessary.

apologies again for any silly questions, i have to admit that i´m slightly ignorant of the whole process having been living the life of a drifter these past few years.

thanks again!

cheers people

in relation to the open university masters, how long will you be studying that for? i see that they say recommended time is 6 years but what time frame would you suggest? i´ll be working at least 6 hours a day spread out apart from the course work so im fully expecting it to be a demanding couple of years.

i work in english language teaching and am looking to do this as the better jobs here in colombia are becoming harder and harder to get without a masters so this with the linguistics modules could be ideal.

in terms of work in ireland, how well would this masters stand up?

would it be sufficient in lieu of the h dip or would that still be necessary.

apologies again for any silly questions, i have to admit that i´m slightly ignorant of the whole process having been living the life of a drifter these past few years.

thanks again!

If you want to teach in a secondary school in Ireland you have to have the dip or the PDE as it's now known, masters isn't an acceptable substitute.

If you want to teach in a secondary school in Ireland you have to have the dip or the PDE as it's now known, masters isn't an acceptable substitute.

i thought as much, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

The masters with the OU doesnt take 6 years. You need to do 3 modules and if you have a full time job they recommend 1 module per year so that is 3 years if you do the modules one after the other. When they talk about 6 years they mean that the 3 modules have to be completed within a 6 year timeframe so if you need to take a year or 2 off between modules you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and workload isn't massive, you can do loads this week and nothing next week, its all about the assignments which must be in at various stages throughout the year

many thanks, forgive my innocence!

hello again, i´m definitely leaning towards the oe online masters but have one query regarding this.

would it be possible to add pde or an equivalent course credits to the online masters?

im asking this as im planning to begin the masters in october this year meaning that i wouldnt finish until 2015.

working towards the pde back home some time after that might be tricky with other commitments to consider so working towards both simultaneously would be a better option.

this was based on a suggestion from someone i was speaking to who combined credits on her masters with those for u.s teacher training.

i

Advertisement