Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look what I inherited

• 14-12-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Just found out the other day that my grandad (now deceased) was a life long straight razor buff..... I had no idea.
    Anyway, my Aunt said that she might not be able to find his straight, but she did find and give me this......
    IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

Its a shaving scuttle with illustration by Wade... whoever he is.
    Seen em selling for about 30 quid on the web but this one is priceless to me as it's now officially an heirloom. It's really a nice piece
    I usually use creams and just plonked a block of Erasmic that I hollowed out of a dish in it.
    Does anybody have any recommendations as to what soap would be best?

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

What creams do you normally use? Do they have a soap version of the cream?

Any soap will do to be honest. I'm just thinking if they sell a soap version of the scent of cream you like, at least you know you'll like the scent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

hitemfrank wrote: »
    What creams do you normally use? Do they have a soap version of the cream?

Any soap will do to be honest. I'm just thinking if they sell a soap version of the scent of cream you like, at least you know you'll like the scent.

Good point.
    I use a lot of different creams. TOBS, Proraso, Wars etc.... think I might have seen Proraso soap about... will try pick some up.

Cheers

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Proraso soap is more of a hard cream, I'd go for one of the harder triple milled soaps. Try Mitchell's wool fat (unless you have hard water) or one of the DR Harris range.

Nice find on the scuttle, moreso with the family legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

+1 for the Mitchell's soap fat. I got a straight razor my grand-uncle owned restored recently so if you find your grand-father's let us know and I can give you a few pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

^

Pics please!!

• Advertisement

Hello,

This is the one I got restored. Made by a Julius Ellendahl, probably in 1936.

Looks like a trio of Gillette DEs

Black tip super speed
    http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/1952%20(X3)%20black%20handle%20Super-Speed%20%20steel%20handle%20and%20base%20plate.jpg

Flare tip super speed

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/1954%20(Z1)%20first%20Flare%20Tip%20Super-Speed%20from%20Leon.jpg

You should have an alphanumeric code on them under the head which will allow you to date them better.

Do you have any other photos of the open comb razor? Hard to nail down the exact model as I can't see the front and back of the head.

I've checked under the head of the razor, and it says Brit. Pat 694093, and made in England.

The Gillette DE with the black knob at the end says PAT. NOS. ON PKG and made in USA.

The black tip DE's were only made between 1951 and '52.

That british patent is to do with some detail of the design of the razor, I think.

That third DE looks like it is of the English made Rocket/Parat/aristocrat range, hard to be more precise with the photos and details provided. Regardless I'd wager it's the most valuable of the 3. The UK vintage razors tend to be harder to find and Gillette often used better materials making the European razors.
    How does it shave?

• Advertisement

That third DE looks like it is of the English made Rocket/Parat/aristocrat range, hard to be more precise with the photos and details provided. Regardless I'd wager it's the most valuable of the 3. The UK vintage razors tend to be harder to find and Gillette often used better materials making the European razors.
    How does it shave?

I've not used any of the DE razors myself. But I've given one to my father for him to use, he says its pretty good. At the moment I use a straight razor that I had restored to trim my cheeks & sideburns etc., (I'm bearded).

In other news the straights I got in that box have been sent off to Neil Miller in the UK to be restored. I'll post photos when they're done if ye're interested.

Yeah post some pictures when you get them back.

Neil Miller does good work so it'll be nice to see what how well they turn out.

Good choice on picking Neil, that's where I would send any needing work.
    Do post up some pics when returned.

I will do. He did the other razor I had restored as well, that one was my grand-uncle's. A question, what's your opinion on re-doing the goldwash on a razor if it had it before?

In other areas of antiques, collectables etc., I know that re-plating or retouching finishes and so on isn't well regarded, the idea being to leave the item in as close to its original condition as possible.

It depends really, in my opinion. If you are planning to keep the razor for yourself you can do want you want.

If you are planning to sell it on it may not increase it's value much - if you tell people that the goldwash has been redone. On the other hand some people would probably pay more for it if it was done well. Vintage straight razors should generally shave well so aesthetics will come into it for some people.

The are lots of examples of sellers on ebay replating safety razors and describing them as NOS (new old stock) to pretty much screw people out of money.

I'd never sell my inheritance for a mess of pottage! Besides my Ma would kill me.

I'll probably leave them in as near original nick as possible and oil and store the ones I won't use on their return.

An easy choice for you then :D

Although, if you are getting them all restored I'd say use them all. Nothing wrong with have a rotation.

Advertisement