Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modular switch fitting ?

• 14-12-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

I want to replace a standard two gang light switch with 1 dimmer and 1 standard switch.
    I have seen the module set up and wonder if these are simple to fit into the existing metal electrical wall box?
    Is it a perfect fit or is the module setup wider/thicker etc (its next to another switch box and dont have room for bigger faceplate)

Any other pit falls I should watch out for ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

these are available as a standard switch
    they both look like dimmers but only one side dims
    the other side acts like a normal switch despite having a knob
    your local wholesalers should have one

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

The only thing you have to be weary of is the depth of the existing box to make sure its deep enough to fit the dimmer module in.Also avoid the sliding dimmer modules as I`ve found them problematic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the above.

I found MK best for this, although they are quite expensive.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKTH2DKVsFOnqqDrzVqEyuL-dQprxYj5T5YlVMZJCm5nEGOHNL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

Thanks for replies,

Is that a module switch or can that switch be bought complete over the counter?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies,

Is that a module switch or can that switch be bought complete over the counter?
    That is a grid switch made up of a dimming module, a switch, a grid and a face plate. All available over the counter from most good Electrical wholesalers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement