Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco double charged me, what are my options.

Options
  • 14-12-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I was doing a big shop in Tesco on Monday, on the following Friday when I got home I was looking on my 365 and noticed that they had charged me twice for the same purchase.
    So I rang the bank to see what steps I needed to take, they said I should ring Tesco and they'll sort it out.
    I rang Tesco's, they said come on in and we'll sort it I went in and spent the next 10 minutes arguing my point, even had the manager there telling me the same thing the other girl told me.
    The manager had a sudden memory surge and remembered "someone" had been double charged for the same purchase.
    Now it was €300, I was double charged, which put me in the red.
    Tesco refunded me and gave me €25 voucher.

Now a friend was saying that if you get over charged they refund the items, I don't know if this applies to my situation, so I just wanted to see if anyone knew, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

lewis wrote: »
    I was doing a big shop in Tesco on Monday, on the following Friday when I got home I was looking on my 365 and noticed that they had charged me twice for the same purchase.
    So I rang the bank to see what steps I needed to take, they said I should ring Tesco and they'll sort it out.
    I rang Tesco's, they said come on in and we'll sort it I went in and spent the next 10 minutes arguing my point, even had the manager there telling me the same thing the other girl told me.
    The manager had a sudden memory surge and remembered "someone" had been double charged for the same purchase.

Now a friend was saying that if you get over charged they refund the items, I don't know if this applies to my situation, so I just wanted to see if anyone knew, cheers.
    Do you mean a friend told you that you should have been refunded even the price of the goods you were obliged to pay for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You got your money back and a voucher for the hassle, what more do you want? It seems you're looking to get your shop for free, which is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Do you mean a friend told you that you should have been refunded even the price of the goods you were obliged to pay for?

A friend told me it's Tesco policy when your over charged for an item they refund you the price of the item and you keep the item.
    It's called double the difference
    :confused:

They refunded the over charge.

That you accepted the gift voucher means you're satisfied that the compensation offered was sufficient. The issue is resolved. By all means hop it off them if you want but you're consigned to their goodwill. You're not entitled to anything further.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    You got your money back and a voucher for the hassle, what more do you want? It seems you're looking to get your shop for free, which is ridiculous.

I'm just asking if this is the current policy, not your opinion on whether it's fair, for your information I still haven't gotten my refund, as it takes 10 business days to process, which means I might have it for Christmas.

You must think that I'm trying to pull a quick one, you wouldn't believe the amount of hoops I had to jump through just to get the refund.
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    That you accepted the gift voucher means you're satisfied that the compensation offered was sufficient. The issue is resolved.

If that's how they handle it that's fine, no harm, no foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 acfan

No it is not their policy to offer you the price of the goods plus the over charge....that would make no sense business wise.

In the past they did offer a double the difference deal if you found an item cheaper in a rival store but they have since withdrawn this offer.

acfan wrote: »
    No it is not their policy to offer you the price of the goods plus the over charge....that would make no sense business wise.
    It would customer retention wise to be fair. We're not talking about giving free goods to every customer just when a mistake is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 acfan

Having worked in retail I know how many times a day these mistakes are made especially when it's a chain store and head office is in charge of price changes on tills etc. so it would make absolutely no sense to do it, there would be too many losses.

That's grand, thanks for the feed back..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

I'm just asking if this is the current policy, not your opinion on whether it's fair, for your information I still haven't gotten my refund, as it takes 10 business days to process, which means I might have it for Christmas.

You must think that I'm trying to pull a quick one, you wouldn't believe the amount of hoops I had to jump through just to get the refund.
    QUOTE]

Fair play to you OP... Too many people like that on here.
    As far as your query goes, I know for a fact that Tesco used to run something like this at one time. But as far as I know it was if they got the price wrong at the till, then you got the item for free.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was doing a big shop in Tesco on Monday.

That's where your problems started OP, Big Shops should only be done on a Friday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paul the great

Its was partially true a few years ago anyway AFAIK. My granny used to get things for free if the price at the shelf was different than the price at the till. It was only the part of the shopping that was wrong she got free. I dont know if they still do it or if it ever applied to credit cards.

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's where your problems started OP, Big Shops should only be done on a Friday ;)

Ya mad, I try to do it when it's quiet, get in and get out, that's my motto, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The Tesco No quibble Guarentee relates to the customer being charged a higher price when the item scans at the till compared to the price displayed on the shelf.

Here:
    "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will refund double the difference between the shelf price and the price paid by you and without quibble"

A few years ago an Irish bank took over the electronic payments on Tesco's tills, since then there seems to have been a good few double charges. Its the bank, not Tesco that takes the money, but of course it is up to the retailer to sort it out for you.

Looks like Tesco should go back to the British bank that used to handle the electronic payments.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

In any case you werent over charged for any item but were charged the correct amount twice.

Two different things.

castie wrote: »
    In any case you werent over charged for any item but were charged the correct amount twice.

Two different things.

Ya think.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, from your posts it seemed you didn't understand this.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    OP, from your posts it seems you didn't understand this.
    Yes because he got the two mixed up initially which is why he started the post, he got it when it was explained.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    OP, from your posts it seems you didn't understand this.

Ya think...again, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lewis If you have nothing helpful to add, then please don't post.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    lewis If you have nothing helpful to add, then please don't post.

dudara

No problem, as long as the obvious isn't mentioned..

Advertisement