Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping for shirts

Options
  • 14-12-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

hey

Im looking to pick up a couple of decent shirts in Galway. Hanleys is rubbish imo and the staff are rude, The paul and shark in Copelands is quality, but just that bit too expensive. tk maxx isn't u to much these days either, nor is brown thomas. Is there anywhere else thats decent, by decent I mean doesn't stock the usual pish like henleys and crosshatch :/

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can't recommend anywhere, I've always done a fair bit of my shopping in Hanley's and ALWAYS found the staff and selection top-notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Agree also found Hanley's very good....

... what about Anthony Ryan's?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

calm down man! breath in, breath out!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

pjmn wrote: »
    Agree also found Hanley's very good....

... what about Anthony Ryan's?

Il have a look in there tomorrow, thanks
    samdeman wrote: »
    calm down man! breath in, breath out!

I knew Id get a reply like this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

try jack and jones passed by the other day and they have some nice stuff, prices are very reasonable aswell. couldnt fault the guy that I was dealing with aswell very helpful and seemed like a nice chap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I used to go into Joe Greens on woodquay, usually good for shirts, suits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

+1 for Hanleys.
    Nal, in your first post you've managed to come across as a bit rude yourself. Loosen up a bit and give us some more info.
    What type of shirt you're after, business or pleasure?
    Slim-fit or regular fit?
    What brand do you currently use and like?
    Colours?
    You can also look on-line, travel to Dublin or www.kildarevillage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Nal wrote: »
    hey

Im looking to pick up a couple of decent shirts in Galway. Hanleys is rubbish imo and the staff are rude, The paul and shark in Copelands is quality, but just that bit too expensive. tk maxx isn't u to much these days either, nor is brown thomas. Is there anywhere else thats decent, by decent I mean doesn't stock the usual pish like henleys and crosshatch :/

thanks

Hanleys isn't "rubbish" by any standard but a bit cavalier and overpriced, but that is the store in town. They have a store in the shopping centre also which I find much nicer, more relaxed. I think they still sell Marc O'Polo shirts, which are good quality (i can testify to that) and nice design/fit.
    http://www.galwaysc.com/view-all-stores/store.209.html

Marc O'Polo info here, and search on Amazon for "campus marc o'polo"
    http://www.marc-o-polo.com/en/inside/was-bedeutet-eigentlich

Also agree with you it is very very hard to find decent clothes here in Galway (I am very particular though), i would buy here if i could. Another 3 places you can check where i sometimes (not often) find things is where FCUK used to be (new store, don't know the name), Anthony Ryans downstairs and Geraghtys.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

I've shopped in Hanleys a fair bit over the years, I've bought few suits & loads of shirts, it usually good stuff & helpful staff..

But after my last visit 2 months ago, I left as I wasn't too mad about the snooty attitude of some of the young upstarts in the place :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

biko wrote: »
    +1 for Hanleys.
    Nal, in your first post you've managed to come across as a bit rude yourself. Loosen up a bit and give us some more info.
    What type of shirt you're after, business or pleasure?
    Slim-fit or regular fit?
    What brand do you currently use and like?
    Colours?
    You can also look on-line, travel to Dublin or www.kildarevillage.com

Thought the same myself, rude back at you maybe. Great shop; and as the catchphrase goes, they're local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

try Geraghtys down on Lombard Street (opposite St. Pats School)..

lads are sounds and are up for a bit of haggling...

D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Nal wrote: »
    hey

thanks
    Very true about the staff being rude in Hanleys city centre outlet,found this a number of times.Try Reidy mensware in the galway sc.Some great bargins in there and a very nice fellow behind the counter.Marco polo long coat for 90 euro,savage value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

swe_fi wrote: »
    Hanleys isn't "rubbish" by any standard but a bit cavalier and overpriced, but that is the store in town. They have a store in the shopping centre also which I find much nicer, more relaxed. I think they still sell Marc O'Polo shirts, which are good quality (i can testify to that) and nice design/fit.
    http://www.galwaysc.com/view-all-stores/store.209.html

Marc O'Polo info here, and search on Amazon for "campus marc o'polo"
    http://www.marc-o-polo.com/en/inside/was-bedeutet-eigentlich

Also agree with you it is very very hard to find decent clothes here in Galway (I am very particular though), i would buy here if i could. Another 3 places you can check where i sometimes (not often) find things is where FCUK used to be (new store, don't know the name), Anthony Ryans downstairs and Geraghtys.
    Carpenters, they have a clearance sale or somesuch on right now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Hi,

Anyone know where in City they stock them shirts with white cuffs and white collar ( not sure if theres a name for them )
    Tried a few and cant find them , Anyone seen them ?

Hi,

Anyone know where in City they stock them shirts with white cuffs and white collar ( not sure if theres a name for them )
    Tried a few and cant find them , Anyone seen them ?
    You going to a gangster ball?
    Think Anthony Ryans have them.

You going to a gangster ball? Think Anthony Ryans have them.

Fashion ?

Fashion ?
    One mans trash and all that i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

ir555 wrote: »
    try Geraghtys down on Lombard Street (opposite St. Pats School)..

lads are sounds and are up for a bit of haggling...

D

+1. Always find something I like in Geraghtys, excellent staff too, very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Carpenters, they have a clearance sale or somesuch on right now too.

Now the guy that runs that place is very ignorant and seems to be up his own ****

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Less of the negative recs please.
    If you can recommend a shop - fine, pls post here.
    If you don't like a shop/owner, don't post about it.

What if another poster posted rude things about someone you know and like, how would that feel?

• Advertisement

I buy a lot of my stuff in hanelys and have been shopping there for years and other members of my family for even longer and I never found them rude and they always have good stuff, the stuff is expensive but that the going rate for quality clothes.

Hilfiger shop is another option I've got some nice shirts in there too and BT's will usually have at least some nice stuff I find depending on what exactly you looking for.

Can anybody tell me where they do the shirts with white collar and white cuffs,

Ive tried Anthony Ryans but no luck , can anybody tell me where they def seen them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

similar enough thread recently had some good info:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75781816

Advertisement