Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged domestic applicances following power outages

• 14-12-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Over a no. of weeks we had a no.of sudden power outages / surges. On occasion the power would go completely, on other occasions the trip switch tripped or the lights would dim. These unplanned outages were followed up by an all day planned outage where 'works' were carried out by ESB to deal with supply issues in our locality.

Following the power outages we have a TV and a hifi that no longer work. They worked fine before so I've good reason I feel to link the events.

Anyway, I wrote to ESB networks and they tell me that they have no scheme in place to deal with such claims. They recommend following up with my insurance company. I checked my policy and electrical damage to domestic applicances is not covered. I find it odd that ESB are not responsible in this instance?

Incidentally, I was talking to 2 people in the surrounding neighbourhood who similarly have domestic items which in their words blew during recent outages so its not limited to my own household.

Anyone any experience of this kind of event and how to deal? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

i have come across this before
    the esb replaced all burnt out appliances incl alarm panel and light transformers and tvs
    they would however not admit liability or say what caused the appliances to pack in( i suspect a dropped neutral but could not be sure as the power was restored and everything tested fine when i checked the installation)
    there were other houses affected in the area too,which may have helped the householders cause
    the householder payed me for my work but was reimbursed by esb
    get an assessor out and stand your ground

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    i have come across this before
    the esb replaced all burnt out appliances incl alarm panel and light transformers and tvs
    they would however not admit liability or say what caused the appliances to pack in( i suspect a dropped neutral but could not be sure as the power was restored and everything tested fine when i checked the installation)
    there were other houses affected in the area too,which may have helped the householders cause
    the householder payed me for my work but was reimbursed by esb
    get an assessor out and stand your ground
    I would agree. Better still do it as a group.
    You have consumer's rights after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks. I'll follow up on that. I'm a bit peeved at what I consider a fob off approach on behalf of the supplier when they know there were local electrical issues (and they would have data to support that) and they should know that a general home insurance policy does not cover this sort of thing but that is the route they advised. :mad:

Advertisement