Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia C7 vs Nokia 700

Options
  • 14-12-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

My wife is looking for a new phone this Christmas to upgrade from Nokia 5800. Before anyone suggests other brands both she and I quite like Nokia and want to stick with them.

Phone needs to have wifi, camera, gps, mp3, touchscreen, radio which seems to be standard across the range.

We're down to picking between C7 and 700 on Meteor.

I'm all for the 700 as it's a newer model, faster processor, already has Belle and I assume will be supported for longer. Also has NFC chip although I dunno if that's really of any value?

She is swinging more towards C7 as it has a bigger screen and feels more solid. Also seems to have FM transmitter (no real value) and more built-in storage space.

Is there anything else that makes the 700 win over or is it a lesser model?

I have in my head that because the C7 is older it won't be supported for as long or will be out of date quicker?

Anything else I'm missing?

Which is better overall? 1 vote

Nokia 700
    0% 0 votes
    Nokia C7
    100% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

Get the 701 instead? Updated C7 AFAIK with Belle. Different screen tech tho. Not AMOLED anymore. C7 does have NFC btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

NFC isn't much of an advantage at the moment. There's nothing right now except for some Nokia bluetooth headsets that pair using NFC.

I have a C7 and the most annoying thing about its AMOLED screen is that if you're using it in a dark room, the brightness doesn't go down far enough and you'll be blinded by it in the middle of the night.

AFAIK, Belle will be the last Symbian update for the C7, so that's a point against it.

I find the FM transmitter handy to listen to podcasts on the kitchen radio if I'm doing the dishes for example. I haven't tested it in a car, so I don't know performance there.

I don't rate the camera on this, or any recent S^3 smartphone highly (except for the N8, of course). It's particularly bad at close-range shots.

If you could get it, the Nokia 701 would certainly be a good choice. Better specs than the C7 but in a very similar casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I use the FM transmitter on the N8 a lot - it's handier than a dock. It works well in the kitchen - espe in conjunction with the internet radio It works ok in the car, except that it is very difficult to find a free frequency on a long drive.

Any way - on topic:

The C7 will get Belle, soon, so don't worry about the OS.

It comes down to the hardware features, and how much you want to pay for them, and also which phone fits your hand the best.

NFC will become an advantage soon, but probably after this handset has died, say 3 years time! So, as a feature, ignore it.

Try this - may help you:

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Nokia-700-vs-Nokia-C7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks all for the replies. Seems like the 701 spec is closer to the C7 than the 700, but....

1) Isn't 701 only available on O2 (i.e. pricier basic tariff than Meteor)

2) Doesn't the 701 run Windows Mobile or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

No idea about who offers what, but 701 runs Symbian Belle and the 710 (Lumia) runs Windows Phone. 701 looks almost exactly like the C7, 710 doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So which did you chose and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

So which did you chose and why?
    For some reason she decided to go with the C7 (which I didn't like anyway myself!) only to find Meteor have discontinued it. There might be some in stores but we took is a sign! 700 she felt was a little bit small, 701 was only on O2 (want Meteor ideally) so we're gonna hold out for whatever the next Symbian phone is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I went ahead and got the 700 myself.

Despite having a preference for Nokias, I find that the Samsung and HTC smartphones are too ostentatious. The compact design does it for me.

Advertisement