Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

EnterNow wrote: »
    My first day watching Sky F1...now I like Hamilton I've no probs saying that...but jesus christ, is Herbert in love with him or something?

yeah they're horribly biased towards Mclaren (Lewis in particular) in their build up etc, the race commentary team is grand though i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Grim. wrote: »
    yeah they're horribly biased towards Mclaren (Lewis in particular) in their build up etc, the race commentary team is grand though i find.
    In fairness, its not surprising after ITV and BBC's coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

lord lucan wrote: »
    Provisional calendar for next year according to Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102674

Wouldn't mind a spin over for Canada & New Jersey back to back.:)

I'm thinking of doing this or maybe Belgium and Italy. I've been to the grand prix in Montreal before so i'm leaning more towards going to Spa and Monza back to back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Vettel changes his helmet colour nearly every race, his choice. Only things that are the same is position on every design are Sponsors logos.
    Wow LEDS for sebs weekend,thats a first... are they powered keneticly???!!!! :O

Webber's new design, is from the competition winner for designing Mark's new colours (could be just for Singapore.)

Anyone think Kimi's 'Iceman calligraphy' design when he was at ferrari were much much better than the boring black and white thing he has now... i mean it doesnt even say 'Iceman' . fail.
    One of the best tracks of the year, at night, better track even than Monaco(Challenge wise) > quick plus u can overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Webber's new design, is from the competition winner for designing Mark's new colours (could be just for Singapore.)

Webber's new design is just for the Singapore GP.

s1_1.jpg

I read on the Red Bull site that he was submitted 1,118 designs and he reviewed them all and picked the one above.

EnterNow wrote: »
    My first day watching Sky F1...now I like Hamilton I've no probs saying that...but jesus christ, is Herbert in love with him or something?

....and Jenson is doing OK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I miss the days when the drivers had their own distinct and instantly recognisable helmet design. Most drivers seem to be changing their helmet design every week as if it would magically help their performance or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

208520.jpg

Apparently the shark fin that's attached to engine cover on the Mercedes above may be on all F1 cars next year.

The drivers car number, initials and national flag will be on the fin, just like the one above.

Picture above was taken at Magny-Cours test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ton Cary of the Telegraph tweeted this, Hamilton to replace Schumacher. Ross Brawn told me today Rosberg "100 per cent will be with us next year"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ton Cary of the Telegraph tweeted this, Hamilton to replace Schumacher. Ross Brawn told me today Rosberg "100 per cent will be with us next year"

I will be sad to see schumi go :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I reckon he'll be at Williams replacing Senna :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Let the musical chairs begin.

Huge feck up for McLaren. Played hard ball and lost big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Talk of Perez being his replacement at McLaren - would be a good movce imo - great driver. Would be interesting to see if it happened though, got to imagine a proper push from McLaren to get Perez could force Ferrari to get shot of Massa and go for Perez themselves.

Didn't think Perez could go to McLaren due to him being funded by Telmex. I guess Vodafone (who were talking of giving up title sponsorship after 2013) will be given an out and Telmex will take over.

I wonder will McLaren lose Santander too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Seen stories suggesting Ferrari have Vettel signed for 2014, so don't want to take Perez for just one year.
    So he's likely to go to McLaren, bringing Telmex as title sponsor to replace Vodafone who'll be leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am sure all the people who said EJ was talking rubbish will be back to say sorry.

Whatever about EJ all over the place he still has contacts that Sky would love. I guess he is in the inner core since been an ex successful owner.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think Hamilton wanted to go to a team where he was the main person with all the focus. Being up against Button meant that he was never going to be the make or break of the team. Yes, McLaren made a balls up, but they do still have a good driver in Button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Kudos to Eddie Jordan - he also said the announcement would be this week !

So if Nico remains at Mercedes - will we see Perez to Mclaren and Schumi to Sauber.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

antodeco wrote: »
    I think Hamilton wanted to go to a team where he was the main person with all the focus. Being up against Button meant that he was never going to be the make or break of the team. Yes, McLaren made a balls up, but they do still have a good driver in Button.

I think it's more McLaren's equal driver status policy rather than Button being a match for him.

This BBC article seems to confirm Perez has signed on as Hamo's replacement. Will Schumi go to Sauber, move upstairs in Merc or retire again I wonder.

• Advertisement

Must be a pissy morning in the Rosberg house. Yesterday equal status with your team mate, arguably no 1 based on results. Today you're Hamiltons little helper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Perez confirmed at McLaren: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102891
    Vodafone mentioned repeatedly by Whitmash, and no mention of Telmex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Think hes based this decision on a big push by Mercedes for the 2014 rule changes. But I remember reading a couple of month ago Mercedes were considering scaling back their involvement. BBC say Perez has signed for McLaren even though Ferrari have fawned over him for a year. Rumour of Vettel at Ferrari in a couple of years even though Alonso hates having equal teammates. I’m so confused.

Mercedes have 1 win in nearly three years in F1. This is a huge gamble for Hamilton.

I reckon Perez will score more points than Hamilton next year.

I wonder what Rosberg thinks of it all and will he be able to match Hamilton next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Crazy morning, thats why I love F1.

Perez obviously was not happy at not getting the Ferrari seat so took up the McLaren option, fair play to him.

Not sure if this is a good move for Hamilton, but only time will tell.

Perhaps now is the time for Schumacher to call it a day for good. Not sure why he would want to go round begging mid grid teams for a seat. Time to retire with dignity methinks

iDave wrote: »
    Perhaps now is the time for Schumacher to call it a day for good. Not sure why he would want to go round begging mid grid teams for a seat. Time to retire with dignity methinks

The thing is Mercedes are a mid grid team so it would only be a step sideways if he ended up at Sauber or Williams.

recyclebin wrote: »
    The thing is Mercedes are a mid grid team so it would only be a step sideways if he ended up at Sauber or Williams.

Well how will Sauber do next year? Perez brought with him their biggest sponsor. There was also some sort of deal with the engines in return for giving Perez a seat.

Now they must find a new sponsor, possibly more money for engines and pay Schueys salary? They'll need to find a big sponsor fast to keep up the performances.

Team mates reunited.

hamilton-rosberg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

This is good for everyone concerned.

Lewis is a pain in the hole most of the time so now he can be an even more golden child at Mercedes which will suit him perfectly. I'm not his biggest fan off the track but he is probably the fastest, if not best overall, driver on the grid at the moment so should do well when Mercedes get going.

Perez gets a great move up the ladder, and JB finally gets the team's attention back on him. Last week he came second but was a footnote as all the pundits would talk to Martin Whitmarsh about was Lewis dropping out. Jenson completely sidelined.

I'm sure Ron Dennis isn't a happy camper that his investment over the last 13 years ended up in this.

It's all good for us lot watching it though.

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    Well how will Sauber do next year? Perez brought with him their biggest sponsor. There was also some sort of deal with the engines in return for giving Perez a seat.

Now they must find a new sponsor, possibly more money for engines and pay Schueys salary? They'll need to find a big sponsor fast to keep up the performances.

That's a good point. Sauber will have a big funding hole to fill with the departure of Perez to McLaren.

If Schumacher wants to continue would Mercedes try and help him by way of funding and engines for the likes of Force India or is this the end of the road for Schumacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

mailforkev wrote: »
    This is good for everyone concerned.

Lewis is a pain in the hole most of the time so now he can be an even more golden child at Mercedes which will suit him perfectly. I'm not his biggest fan off the track but he is probably the fastest, if not best overall, driver on the grid at the moment so should do well when Mercedes get going.

Perez gets a great move up the ladder, and JB finally gets the team's attention back on him. Last week he came second but was a footnote as all the pundits would talk to Martin Whitmarsh about was Lewis dropping out. Jenson completely sidelined.

I'm sure Ron Dennis isn't a happy camper that his investment over the last 13 years ended up in this.

It's all good for us lot watching it though.

Hi soff the track antics are a pain, I dont see him as the best all-rounder on the grid, but over one lap he is mega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Finally!

Good good for us viewers to see some big changes :)

Interesting to see how Perez will do in Mclaren also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    what chance of schumi for sauber, peter sauber supposedly said that he would give him a drive if here were available for 2013

Here's a possibility: If Telmex really wants to spend some money they could do a deal whereby Sauber promote Esteban G from test driver to a full seat and Telmex maintain their Sauber sponsorship. The other seat to Kamui or Michael. Deal would suit Sauber financially and Esteban is a quick driver and knows the team. I'd imagine Telmex will want to be associated with McLaren too so it all depends if they'd want to spend an extra £25m+.

Just a thought. Probably nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

So Schumi shafted again. First time by Ferrari to bring in Raikkonen who slept his way to a world title and now Mercedes shafting him for Hamilton. Pity Mercedes couldn't deliver a right car for Michael in 3 bloody years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

So Schumi shafted again. First time by Ferrari to bring in Raikkonen who slept his way to a world title and now Mercedes shafting him for Hamilton. Pity Mercedes couldn't deliver a right car for Michael in 3 bloody years.

exactly schumi just hasnt' had the car to get the job done despite some really good quali performances this season. mclaren will be happy to have perez and will look to him as a future WC for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

exactly schumi just hasnt' had the car to get the job done despite some really good quali performances this season. mclaren will be happy to have perez and will look to him as a future WC for them.

Button will never be a world champion again and neither will Perez unless they have a car like the Brawn Button won in. They just don't have the "right stuff" to win a world title.

Ferrari seems to have Vettel lined up for 2014 so that leaves McLaren looking for a world class driver. Don't know who they're going to turn to given the remaining crop of current drivers.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The Sauber is a far better car than the Merc at the moment. Now that may change with the move to Turbo engines but at the moment I`d prefer to be in a Sauber.

Lewis Hamilton would disagree

• Advertisement

How many times will Perez lap Hamilton when they're at McLaren and Merc respectively?

OSI wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton doesn't care about what the current cars at Merc and Sauber are like. Or he clearly wouldn't have picked Mercedes. He cares about what they are going to be like in the near future.

i know i know I'm being tongue in cheek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

what is hammy thinking???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

i guess that confirms jb as number 1 driver for mclaren next year. wonder who his team mate is going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Risky move by Lewis, no? I think he's a very good driver, thats been let down by his team and by luck this season. Still, didn't expect him to leave and go to Mercedes!

Looking forward to seeing Checo Perez at McLaren!

Still, should make 2013 fairly exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Not shafted - seems it was his choice according to autosport

That would suggest to me that Schumi knows he only has 1 or 2 years left and doesn't want to be driving a bucket for another (perhaps final) year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Trampas wrote: »
    I am sure all the people who said EJ was talking rubbish will be back to say sorry.

My most sincere apologies Mr Eddie Jordon.
    Heard the news on the radio this morning, still trying to get my head around it to be honest. I'm a big Hamilton and McLaren fan and I am saddened to see him leave McLaren, which has proved itself as the fastest car on the grid this season. Aside for the changing engine regs, I hope he knows something we don't in terms of development. I'm delighted to see Perez as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

And here we go again about Kimi being sleepy..
    He won the bloody title fair and square.. What more can you expect.?
    Where is he this season? Nothing has changed.
    Schumacher should never have come back, He was a Pre Hamilton racer. "Spoilt with all the best toys"
    OSI wrote: »
    Lewis Hamilton doesn't care about what the current cars at Merc and Sauber are like. Or he clearly wouldn't have picked Mercedes. He cares about what they are going to be like in the near future.

That is a nonsence comment
    How can anyone predict what the cars are going to be like?
    No team even knows what this years cars are doing, nevermind 2 years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

vectra wrote: »
    Schumacher should never have come back, He was a Pre Hamilton racer. "Spoilt with all the best toys"

I think this is a nonsense comment. It wasn't exactly his fault Mercedes provided him with a sh1theap of a car for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I really hope Schumacher stays on. Before his retirement he was the driver I loved to hate. Since hims comeback, Ive been rooting for him in every race! Id love him to get one more race win. That would really make my season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

vectra wrote: »
    No team even knows what this years cars are doing, nevermind 2 years down the line.

Of course they do. Do you honestly believe no team is working on future cars, especially for 2014?

• Advertisement
Advertisement