Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Aargh! Could have been a good circuit especially with that hill but its too messy and street style. The main straight seems like the only place for overtaking.

A place with natural contours and they are not used. Looks like another UAE to me with a longer straight. I actually thought this one was going to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The usual Tilke half-mile of run off area at each corner :( Seems like another UAE for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Here's Mario driving a real Lotus round COTA;

I have to agree, doesn't look like a track that will produce a great race. Hope I'm wrong, F1 needs America.

They layout looked good, the altitude changes sounded good, the execution doesn't look good.

They layout looked good, the altitude changes sounded good, the execution doesn't look good.

Agreed. If you look at Jordans post above with the circuit diagram, it looks class. How could that be a bad race, you might be forgiven for thinking. But Tilke, has an unrivaled skill for designing great looking tracks, but turning them into utter snoozefests.

It's very difficult to judge what a new track will be like on race day, but the videos don't exactly inspire me with confidence by any stretch :(

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed. If you look at Jordans post above with the circuit diagram, it looks class. How could that be a bad race, you might be forgiven for thinking. But Tilke, has an unrivaled skill for designing great looking tracks, but turning them into utter snoozefests.

It's very difficult to judge what a new track will be like on race day, but the videos don't exactly inspire me with confidence by any stretch :(

I think from turn 12 to 15 there's a bit of a downward slope, a downhill sweeper bridging those two corners could have been awesome. The frustrating thing is that it's still possible to make a decent track, I still want a race at Portimao damnit! :pac:
    Still, maybe it'll turn out well but I'm not too hopeful.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Has there been any mention on tyre wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Americas is awesome to drive seriously, more fun and overtaking than in India! at least online :) you see people all over those run-off areas, only the best stay to the end of the race.

but run-off areas should be filled more with gravel than asphalt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

freestyla wrote: »

but run-off areas should be filled more with gravel than asphalt.

Agreed. Martin Brundle is always saying this. You should get punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Agreed. Martin Brundle is always saying this. You should get punished.

E.G. Maldonado vs Hamilton in Valencia, if that was a gravel run off (I know its a street circuit so maybe it's a bad example) he'd never have done that. Same with Vettel on Button in Hockenheim.

More kitty litter! :D

**** it, broken glass lining the track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

**** it, broken glass lining the track!

Nah. Quicksand sounds way better.

Careful lads, Bernie could well be on Boards...

I reckon they should make shortcuts and jumps a bit like the car games of old (Supercars 2)

OSI wrote: »
    Stick a blow up Grosjean in the middle of every run off, and the drivers will be doing all they can to avoid them.

671675.jpg

antodeco wrote: »
    I reckon they should make shortcuts and jumps a bit like the car games of old (Supercars 2)

Need for Speed like?

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Or even better, tar pits and get elephants to pull the drivers out.

Or even better, tar pits and get elephants to pull the drivers out.

They dont need elephants! They can pull themselves out with their faces!

They dont need elephants! They can pull themselves out with their faces!

LOL.

• Advertisement

I was hoping someone would get the reference!

No wonder if Schumacher would get stuck somewhere there!

Right lads. With four races to go, which driver do you think will be crowned champion this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Vettel. He has got all the momentuim and seemlingly the best car at the moment.

Vettle unless Alonso can avoid trouble by being in a fast car at the front of the grid. Ferrari want to make up the ground of course, but I can't see it happening.

Vettle for three in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

kksaints wrote: »
    Vettel. He has got all the momentuim and seemlingly the best car at the moment.

It's Vettels to lose alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

As much as I want to see Alonso take it, I'm going to say Vettel. Unless something major happens I don't see him losing it.

I'll fukcing lose it if Vettel takes it again :mad: Cmon Alonso ffs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Has to be Vettel at this point. As said above.. He has the momentum and the car now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If Vettel leads from the start of the race I can't even see myself watching it. I've wasted enough time sitting through the last few races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Can't see past Vettel, I hate it, but unless there is a major upset,i.e. fire from the heavens, he has the momentum. :mad:

Come on Alonso!! Do it for the F1 fans all over the world. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Another alternator failure for Vettel would go down nicely.

Id actually prefer if neither won it! I just cant take to liking Alonso for some reason. I actually dont know why!

Id actually prefer if neither won it! I just cant take to liking Alonso for some reason. I actually dont know why!

You don't have to like him, this is all the reason you'll ever need:

Sebastian+Vettel+-+World+Champions+Formula+1+%2528F1%2529.jpg

Red Bull have found some speed in the car and its so late in the season that its hard to see Ferrari put in enough resources to turn the situation around. Especially with the issues they're having with the wind tunnel.

I would like to see Alonso win but its hard to bet against Vettel currently.

• Advertisement

You don't have to like him, this is all the reason you'll ever need:

Sebastian+Vettel+-+World+Champions+Formula+1+%2528F1%2529.jpg

That's Vettel :pac:

That's Vettel :pac:

Exactly! :D The more Alonso wins, or ANYONE else for that matter, the less we see that finger

Allowing DRS in Qualifying has handed the titles to RB I think, really baffling why cars are allowed go faster on Saturday than on Sundays.

DRS was sold to us as an overtaking aid. There is no racing on Saturday, it should not be permissible to use

Ferrari have really dug up a hornets nest by putting the Italian Navy flag on their cars especially as there are Italian navy officers on trial in India for murder at the moment. Ferrari deny it is political. What is it then? Just a silly decision by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Exactly! :D The more Alonso wins, or ANYONE else for that matter, the less we see that finger

As much as I hate finger boy, I would much prefer him to win wdc than Alonso..
    And before anyone jumps in with any comment about "Thats only because he took Kimi's seat at Ferrari" you are wrong. I never liked Alonso since his second win. He became a stuffshirt.
    Allowing DRS in Qualifying has handed the titles to RB I think, really baffling why cars are allowed go faster on Saturday than on Sundays.

DRS was sold to us as an overtaking aid. There is no racing on Saturday, it should not be permissible to use

DRS shod be disabled for Quali. That would shuffle it up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Ferrari have really dug up a hornets nest by putting the Italian Navy flag on their cars especially as there are Italian navy officers on trial in India for murder at the moment. Ferrari deny it is political. What is it then? Just a silly decision by them.
    Well someone had to take the heat off Vijay mallaya:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

Well someone had to take the heat off Vijay mallaya:)

Is vettel the new Schumacher with a move to Ferrari in 14 on the cards and in with a chance to best aLLC records but if that move happens will he be able to Mold Ferrari into what Schumacher did and will it be good for the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Lotus have used a Youtube video (with a fairly dodgy soundtrack) to make the expected announcement that Kimi has signed for 2013.

The video leaves little room for anything else, he's obviously gonna remain there. I hope the Lotus is more developed next year, Kimi is so consistent this year he'd be tough to beat in a car as quick as the Ferrari/RB/McLaren

It looks like More European GPs to go although I have read that there might be a one off French Grand next season to take the place of the New Jersey race until they get things sorted.

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/669/8198435/ecclestone-more-euro-gps-will-go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

It looks like More European GPs to go although I have read that there might be a one off French Grand next season to take the place of the New Jersey race until they get things sorted.

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/669/8198435/ecclestone-more-euro-gps-will-go

Which ones though? Cant see Belgium lasting if more European races are to go.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Do you think the new Concorde agreement will explore the option of extending the season to 22 races to allow more countries, but Europe to hang on to most of its races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Zagato wrote: »
    Do you think the new Concorde agreement will explore the option of extending the season to 22 races to allow more countries, but Europe to hang on to most of its races
    I think 22 races will be too many but knowing Bernie I wouldn't rule it out.

It probably wont be until another few years when more European races get dropped (that's if they get dropped). Hungary and Belgium have contracts running for another few years if I can remember correctly. I can see Hungary going eventually and possibly Spain and Germany. If 3 European races were to remain it would probably be Monaco, Britain and Italy.

Bernie seems confident that certain countries will be willing to keep paying big money for the vanity races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

He really does risk alienating fans if he replaces old school European tracks with anymore Tilke borefests. Even with the artificial excitement of DRS/KERS/pirelli tires these modern wide open tracks can't be made interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement