Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

vectra wrote: »
    I know it is early days but that Lotus is not seeming half bad.

Fastest lap of the week so far for Roman.

Werent Renault really quick this time last year as well?

BTW I really rate Grosjean. I think hes a great driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dont get sucked into the hype of testing!

I am not but to be fair.It is a god bit faster than last years times and seems to be coming to the attention of other drivers.

Yes they were I think.

I also like Grosjean,
    2 drivers together in Lotus.
    both drivers having had a run in with Alonso :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

As far as i can remember they were quick enough. Always remember EJ giving out at the start of the season that if Kubica was in the renualt(louts) that they would be pushing for wins.

The first two races with a poudium in each, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Anyone else wondering if Mercedes' decision to give the 2012 car more time before testing is going to be a Ross Brawn masterstroke or a symptom of them falling more behind this year?
    -gilly-09- wrote: »
    As far as i can remember they were quick enough. Always remember EJ giving out at the start of the season that if Kubica was in the renualt(louts) that they would be pushing for wins.

The first two races with a poudium in each, I think.

I actually think they could have or at the very least kept up with development better. Petrov and Heidfield (especially since he was just thrown in at the last minute) just weren't the driving force behind them team that Kubica would have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm not sure, I really hope its an awesome car I would give anything to see Schumacher win a race this season.

Im hoping for a masterpiece. Likewise, would love to see schumacher run at or near the front. Ross Brawn will get to the front again you would have to think based on track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I don't see Mercedes winning yet, but I do think their drivers will make some trips to the podium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Autosport wrote: »
    There is a F1 tech mag free with this month's F1 magazine :)
    If I want tech I go here :)http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Technically not F1-related but this news makes me very happy, GP2 and GP3 to be shown on the same channel as the F1. :D

amacachi wrote: »
    Technically not F1-related but this news makes me very happy, GP2 and GP3 to be shown on the same channel as the F1. :D

Oh for FFS! Does this mean that GP2 and GP3 is gone from Setanta and Eurosport? No way am I getting sky! I'm not putting money into Mr Murdochs hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shanemangan

I'm awful disappointed about the whole Sky thing. But that is probably a discussion for another thread

• Advertisement

I'm awful disappointed about the whole Sky thing. But that is probably a discussion for another thread
    +1
    Does anyone have any streaming sited for this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

There should be planty of streams, but I probable won't use them.
    I've been spoilt by BBC HD and would rather watch the extended highlights in HD then stream it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Unreal man, great work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

nice job PJ - did you call it the 'cars and stripes' poster?! *gets coat*

oh, one other thing...30 days, 1 hour till Practice 1.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

That explains alot :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I think Lotus look quite strong at this time...its all positive stuff from their camp.

Anyone think Red Bull may be slightly off balance? I think McLaren & Ferrari will find their feet at the Barcelona test.

Vitaly Petrov has replaced Jarno Trulli as a race driver at Caterham for the 2012 season, with the latter leaving the team.

http://en.espnf1.com/caterham/motorsport/story/70550.html?CMP=chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Vitaly Petrov has replaced Jarno Trulli as a race driver at Caterham for the 2012 season, with the latter leaving the team.

http://en.espnf1.com/caterham/motorsport/story/70550.html?CMP=chrome

What's with all these stupid decisions lately? Williams took Maldonado over Barrichello. Torro Rosso got rid of 2 of some of the best drivers they've had. Now Caterham get's rid of a talented and experienced driver over Petrov (meh) who's best result was 3rd in 2011...then wasn't great for the rest of the season. The only thing teams want to see from new drivers is money, raw talent doesn't matter anymore, and it's stupid that this is the reason Barrichello lost a race seat after 19 years.( yes his talent was fading but let's face it, that was one of, if not the most, terrible williams cars ever or in a long time.)

****sake, woke up after dreaming about first practice and thinking second practice was just about to start.

Barrichellos talent wasnt fading, just look at his vidoes of his test in the US he looked very sharp.

He was impressive at Brawn which was just two or three years ago, so I dunno. I can't really tell because of that terrible Williams car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Maldonado over Barichello was questionable alright - but to be fair to Caterham, Trulli has done nothing in the past couple of seasons with his team mate showing him a clean pair of heels more often than not. Can't really say I'm surprised to hear Petrov is replacing him now.

Barrichellos talent wasnt fading, just look at his vidoes of his test in the US he looked very sharp.

He looks sharp because it's a new challenge and a change of scenery. No doubt it's a challenge he will relish.
    Top Dog wrote: »
    Maldonado over Barichello was questionable alright - but to be fair to Caterham, Trulli has done nothing in the past couple of seasons with his team mate showing him a clean pair of heels more often than not. Can't really say I'm surprised to hear Petrov is replacing him now.

Jarno not surprised by Caterham exit. I have to say I am not surprised by it either as rumours about him being replaced were going around for a while. He will end up in another form of motor racing no doubt.

Trulli has done nothing in the past couple of seasons with his team mate showing him a clean pair of heels more often than not.

He finished ahead of Kov in the final standings this season..well...literally just ahead of him but he's still ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He finished ahead of Kov in the final standings this season..well...literally just ahead of him but he's still ahead
    Didn't Kovalinen comprehensively out-qualify him all season long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Didn't Kovalinen comprehensively out-qualify him all season long?

And throughout his career qualifying was really the only place Trulli tended to be any good

Zagato wrote: »
    And throughout his career qualifying was really the only place Trulli tended to be any good

Wonder was the Petrov V Trulli decision purely based on a financial aspect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

One look at the car shows why they needed to bring in Petrov. Trulli's struggles in the last couple of years havent helped him but realistically the team can now tap into the Russian market and bring in a lot of sponsors.

Its a shame for Jarno. Ive always liked him and even though he is always remembered more for his qualifying performances than his races its worth remembering that he drove quite a few terrible cars over the course of his career and to get them to the sharp end of the grid was an achievement in itself.

I will miss the Trulli Trains

• Advertisement

I will miss the Trulli Trains

On the bright side it'll mean that there'll be less penalty for early pitstops from about 6th to 10th :pac:

Maybe getting rid of Trulli wasnt but bringing in Petrov was as hes very average.

amacachi wrote: »
    On the bright side it'll mean that there'll be less penalty for early pitstops from about 6th to 10th :pac:

I often had a good old laugh at them all the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Just to throw this funny page here, some reading until Barcelona tests..

http://wtf1.co.uk/top-ten-formula-one-fans-of-2011/

Ensign.jpg

"Could this be the ugliest F1 car ever made?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

frostie500 wrote: »
    One look at the car shows why they needed to bring in Petrov. Trulli's struggles in the last couple of years havent helped him but realistically the team can now tap into the Russian market and bring in a lot of sponsors.

Its a shame for Jarno. Ive always liked him and even though he is always remembered more for his qualifying performances than his races its worth remembering that he drove quite a few terrible cars over the course of his career and to get them to the sharp end of the grid was an achievement in itself.

From the business point of view, would be stupid if Petrov didn't get driving seat this year.. few small teams could have use of Russian millions.

I don't like rich drivers buying themselves seats but what they could do once they have enough money and need for speed? Petrov could learn well from Kovalainen, if his ego isn't too big, in matter of doing things better with smaller team, to use more of his head, feel good and build stronger reputation for 2014 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Foooook!!!!
    Just woke up after thinking I was driving for Toro Rosso this year :mad:

****!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

C'mere, Torro Rosso. That's just Red Bull, but some Spanish version aye?

C'mere, Torro Rosso. That's just Red Bull, but some Spanish version aye?
    Italian I think, but it's Red Bull's sister team. It's basically a way to test drivers for the main team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Lads

Anyone else thinking of how to juggle paddy's day drinking and 5.00am rising the next morning.

Lads

Anyone else thinking of how to juggle paddy's day drinking and 5.00am rising the next morning.
    Just keep drinking until the race is over. Then sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Lads

Its easy, stay up and watch the Sebring 12 Hours and then the F1 will start soon after!

So I'm racing online last night and this happened, then this.

freestyla wrote: »
    Just to throw this funny page here, some reading until Barcelona tests..

http://wtf1.co.uk/top-ten-formula-one-fans-of-2011/

Ensign.jpg

"Could this be the ugliest F1 car ever made?" :D

Looks like they used part of a ladder on that car. :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

An early form of a stepped nose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

mercedes have their new car officially launched. haug says he wants them to push the big 3 this year , i think myself they will be closer and the might get a win or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

i think myself they will be closer and the might get a win or 2

Based on what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Based on what exactly?

Well when you consider mercedes with thier resources and Ross Brawn and his team with the knowledge of what it takes to win, I can only see them moving forward. Brawns history is stunning when you look through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Based on what exactly?

i just feel they will and they have to. there is some indication from the testing times , although this is not always a reliable indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just got my tickets for the Spanish GP there!

Gonna check out the testing before the end of the week too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

i just feel they will and they have to. there is some indication from the testing times , although this is not always a reliable indicator.

I really hope that other teams will be closer to Red Bull this season ... fingers crossed :)

Something for fun (apologies if shared here previously)

http://vimeo.com/32105591

Advertisement