Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisture Indicator on Mobiles

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Considering the Moisture Indicator on Mobiles invalidates the warranty and it seems almost every phone I bring for repair seems to have it triggered even though I don't remember ever getting them wet, shouldn't they be more obvious for users. Or the phones better protected from moisture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have it on the outside?

Then sweaty hands would set it off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seems like being on the inside is no protection anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Are you ever in an environment where steam is present? Like a kitchen etc.

No

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Unusual. Might take a gander inside my phone and see if its been triggered.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    it seems almost every phone I bring for repair seems to have it triggered even though I don't remember ever getting them wet

Are you bringing them to the same place?
    Did they use it for not carrying out the repair every time?

Yes. One in theory was under warranty, refused to look at it further, even though I'm almost certain it just needs a ribbon cable replaced that I can't access. The 2nd was one that needed a speaker and something else, not under warranty and also refused. Currently have a third phone with them so it will be interesting if they fix that one. I only went back to them because its the repairer the provider uses.

Yes. One in theory was under warranty, refused to look at it further, even though I'm almost certain it just needs a ribbon cable replaced that I can't access. The 2nd was one that needed a speaker and something else, not under warranty and also refused. Currently have a third phone with them so it will be interesting if they fix that one. I only went back to them because its the repairer the provider uses.

Did they supply a photo of the indicator gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

On my insurance with fonesure, they say they cover against liquid damage..

No but you can see it under the battery. My point really is its ridiculously easy for these to be triggered.

• Advertisement

How much does the insurance cost you a year.

How much does the insurance cost you a year.

107.88 (8.99 a month)

I didn't realise they covered water damage. Good to know. Its not really worth it unless you have phone worth 100+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

The moisture indicators mean nothing, and are used by a repair company (usually the networks own repair company) as a cop out to get you to buy a new phone. The indicators are set off by any type of moisture like sweating while in your pocket, steam etc.

This sort of moisture should not damage the phones electronics, and if it does, it means its not designed correctly, and is not fit for its purpose. Try an independant repair shop next time OP, im confident you will get a different result

Sounds like a good plan wobbles

I didn't realise they covered water damage. Good to know. Its not really worth it unless you have phone worth 100+

I have a Galaxy S II and worth it because I lost the last one via the washing machine :(:(

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

wobbles wrote: »
    The moisture indicators mean nothing, and are used by a repair company (usually the networks own repair company) as a cop out to get you to buy a new phone. The indicators are set off by any type of moisture like sweating while in your pocket, steam etc.

This sort of moisture should not damage the phones electronics, and if it does, it means its not designed correctly, and is not fit for its purpose. Try an independant repair shop next time OP, im confident you will get a different result

This +1,000,000.
    I've never submerged any of my phones in water, nor have gotten them wet from rain etc. yet most of the indicators have triggered from being at gigs, where the sweat is pouring off me. I've been refused in-warranty repairs because of this. Definitely check out third-party repair stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Considering the Moisture Indicator on Mobiles invalidates the warranty and it seems almost every phone I bring for repair seems to have it triggered even though I don't remember ever getting them wet, shouldn't they be more obvious for users. Or the phones better protected from moisture.
    I had a Samsung Wave roughly four months old. One day it refused to take a charge. Checked out charger ,ok .Brought fone back to Meteor shop and they sent it away. One week later phone arrives back with note attached "water damage, unrepairable" After many hours of protracted argument with Meteor I could see I was getting nowhere. I knew only too well the phone had never been exposed to water as I am a careful user. I brought the phone into a repair place in Moore St. The technician told me " I see the problem, there's a break at the charging port" One hour later my phone was working perfectly and still is approx ten months later. Water damage my eye!.Its the greatest get out excuse of all time. No thanks to Samsung or Meteor for the lousy service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

bogof wrote: »
    I had a Samsung Wave roughly four months old. One day it refused to take a charge. Checked out charger ,ok .Brought fone back to Meteor shop and they sent it away. One week later phone arrives back with note attached "water damage, unrepairable" After many hours of protracted argument with Meteor I could see I was getting nowhere. I knew only too well the phone had never been exposed to water as I am a careful user. I brought the phone into a repair place in Moore St. The technician told me " I see the problem, there's a break at the charging port" One hour later my phone was working perfectly and still is approx ten months later. Water damage my eye!.Its the greatest get out excuse of all time. No thanks to Samsung or Meteor for the lousy service.
    Hey BOGOF, I am having a similar problem with my wave 8500, with the micro USB charge port acting funny thinking there is a cable plugged in and constantly beeping as a result. How much to get new charge port on the wave? Which shop is it on moore street?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Walter, I think you probably have a different problem than me . "Its water damage and we cannot repair it ". I cant think of the name of the repair shop. As far as I can remember its the first or second phone place on the left hand side of Moore St as you walk from Henry St. The counter is on the right hand side as you go into the shop. The person doing the repairs is a Chinese girl and she really seems to know her stuff. I hope this is of help to you. The cost was 35 euro

Advertisement