Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade gfx card for Dell Inspiron

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

My cousins are having problems with a game not running very smooth and were asking me about an upgrade. Their Dell has a Radeon X1300/x1550 which I think is a pci-e card, any recommendation for a better budget card (cheap and cheerful)?

The game recommends a Nvidia 6800 - a decent card when I used to still be into pc building etc :P

Would a geforce gt430 or gt440 do the job as a cheap upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What game is it and what are the rest of spec.

More important what is psu? It should be written on psu it self or in manual that came in with dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Looks like a 300W PSU, amd x2 64 dual core 4400, 2gig ram. Game is (don't laugh) "Farming Simulator 2011" - 1gig ram, 2ghz intel/amd, 256mb gfx (nvidia 6800/atix850)

Now need to check how much power your current gpu draws.

Then we can check in to what modern alternative you can put inside.

There is a website to compare gpu in performance and wattages used. I am not at home ( on phone ) so I can't check it properly. I might look in to it when bac home, if I wount forget it.

Btw dell psu are very decent even if they are low wattage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It looks to be around 30w.

http://www.hwcompare.com/10435/radeon-hd-5670-vs-radeon-hd-6570-oem-1gb/

great website to check GPUs and what power consumption they got.

looks like you could get away with gt22 or even better: 6570 ( 50w, but she will take it)

though i would recomend to check and make sure it is PCI-e slot you got there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement