Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet days?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Im asking this question because i know it will come up over the coming weeks.

If i present myself for work and want to work a full day but my manager tells me to go home as its quiet am i expected to work up the time or use my time in lieu to cover for they're rostering problem.

Looked up nera and found what they call zero hours.
    This seems more to apply to people who are paid hourly im paid a salary.

At the moment i currently work over 50hours a week before i can reclaim Time in lieu and everything after that ill need to argue until the cows come home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Check your contract?

What are your hours of work as per your contract?

50 hours sounds mad :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Well my contract says standard 39hr week.

But mentions nothing about zero hours and what they do i was wondering about any ideas regards laws.

Might just have to ring employment rights see what they say thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Zero hours seems to be a type of contract, not the hours where you were rostered in but told to go home.

I guess the fact you're told to be available for work, you could argue it's a zero hours contract. However, I think it's confusing the issue a little if you start talking about zero hours when on the phone to NERA. I've never heard about it, and it's probably a term made up by unions.

Anyway, to answer your original question (fresh from google):

http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/3/
    My supervisor continuously changes my roster without telling me, what can I do? -
    You must be notified at least 24 hours in advance of additional hours, overtime or changes to your rosters which you are required to work. This is the minimum allowed under legislation.

That's from a union website. The full answer might be in the working time act if you care to have a read.

Advertisement