Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lone parent maintenance

Options
  • 13-12-2011 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

as a loan parent and a dad i was told i would not get any money toads my children's maintenance is this true ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

davbro wrote: »
    as a loan parent and a dad i was told i would not get any money toads my children's maintenance is this true ?.
    Have you full custody of the kids. If so, you should be entitled to one parent family benefit like every other lone parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 davbro

yes i have full custody i am talking about maintenance from the mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It is possible that she has little or no income and thus it would be like getting blood from a stone - given that you should still be able to get some token amount (like €10 to €20 p.w.) despite this.

If the mother and you were married, then you may be obliged to supply spousal maintenance to her. If so you would in accounting terms get child maintenance from her, but this would simply offset the much higher spousal maintenance in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Then you like every other parent who has full custody no matter what their gender, had to go to the family courts and apply for a maintenance order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The old thread was out of date. I've split this to its own thread.

• Advertisement

yes we wer married she got a substantial settlement when we split up she has a good job and docent come to see her children when i looked for maintenance i was told i was wasting my time if i was a woman would it be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Who told you that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

DO you claim lone parents allowance or tax credit? if not you should apply for it.
    The lone parents people might pursue her for maintenance.

i will work on it my solicitor may be lazy tanks to all and happy Christmas:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

it's the very same principal that applies to fathers.

Contact solo.ie and flac.ie for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

i will work on it my solicitor may be lazy tanks to all and happy Christmas:rolleyes:
    As a male lone parent between 2000 and 2005 (widowed in 2005) with three children I never received one cent in maintenance. I spent years in court trying to get maintenance, my ex claimed she was lodging money into a bank account for the children and the courts accepted this. The courts checked the bank book on a few occasions and said she was indeed lodging money. When she passed on her family took everything from her house so we never found out if she actually was lodging anything.

sorry to hear that she past and your children got no maintenance and her family didn't do the right thing but the most important thing is the children

Advertisement