Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female, 28 - Ex Rower - Want to join Rowing club in Galway!?!

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi Guys,

I am looking to re-join a boat club somewhere in Galway. I have looked up some of the clubs sites but not finding any contact info to ask if they are looking for new members.

It would be part of a crew , i would like to join as opposed to rowing skull.

Mind i have nt rowed in 10 years... :0

Does anyone have any tips? contact details?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi,

I'd say call into Galway Rowing Club on Woodquay or Tribesmen on Fisherie's Field. I know GRC have novice women's crews. Not sure about Tribesmen but they have a good reputation for rowing itself. Beware the politics in GRC however :) I was a member of a men's novice crew a few years back. Great fun but very demanding training. Even though it's novice it's no walk in the park. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinot Grigio

Thanks for that...
    yeh we rowed regattas few times a yr and trained 4/5 days a week..

I read another thread saying there was politics alright...eek..not a fan of that!

Nothing TOO serious mind..to keep fit, for fun and just cause i loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 abusingelves

NUIG have a good womens set up at the moment.
    I'd have to recommend them.

No problem. Really the politics was to do with the coaches while I was there, never the crews themselves...at least not that I'm aware of. It was more about coaches having petty power struggles :) It was great fun as I said...and the healthiest I have ever been.

NUIG have a good womens set up at the moment.
    I'd have to recommend them.
    Having never gone to NUIG or even been a student there, does that matter if i wanted to join?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

No it doesn't matter if you were a student or not, you may have to pay a small membership fee however, I'm not too sure how much it is. Also NUIG is the most active non school club in the city. GRC does not have an adult women's crew while Tribesmen is very recreational, so if you do not want to row competitively they may be your best bet but if you are looking to join a crew that will be competing regularly check out the NUIGBC website, www.nuigbc.ie for more info.

That sounds like an ad!! I am involved in the club so I may be a tiny bit biased:D If you need any more info please ask

No it doesn't matter if you were a student or not, you may have to pay a small membership fee however, I'm not too sure how much it is. Also NUIG is the most active non school club in the city. GRC does not have an adult women's crew while Tribesmen is very recreational, so if you do not want to row competitively they may be your best bet but if you are looking to join a crew that will be competing regularly check out the NUIGBC website, www.nuigbc.ie for more info.

That sounds like an ad!! I am involved in the club so I may be a tiny bit biased:D If you need any more info please ask
    Thanks...just DL'd the membership form from the site!

Mind i was doing 2k on the ergo machine and my first time back on it in ten years, i thought my forearms were going to fall off!

I was trying to hide my wincing in pain from the other gym goers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

also bear in mind that you'll be classed as intermediate if you have rowed more then 3 years total. Not sure if that goes away with time. So it might be a better harder to find a competitive club that will put you on a crew boat, as generally they are looking to compete.

Mind i was doing 2k on the ergo machine and my first time back on it in ten years, i thought my forearms were going to fall off!

I was trying to hide my wincing in pain from the other gym goers!

Even reading the word ergo is making me feel sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Presuming that ergo in this case doesn't mean therfore, and is some modern equivalent of the Iron Maiden or some other medieval form of honesty enhancer?

• Advertisement

abusingelves....

also just wanted to ask..are you on a crew with NUIG? male/female?

Advertisement