Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 yr old change in sleep pattern

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:50pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered if this was a normal phase or not?
    My 6 yr old boy over the last few weeks will not go to sleep until at least 9.30pm, he's usually in bed by 8pm or 8.30 at the weekends. he is awake most mornings around 7.30am and if not he is woken at 8am for school, weekends we never get past 8am:rolleyes:
    Anyway at the minute this means he is only getting 10 or 11 hours sleep - is this enough.
    I have noticed that he does seem to be a bit short tempered at the minute - but to be honest we all are - exam time:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Our boy, despite our best efforts over many years, at 5 and a half goes to sleep at 11 at earliest and gets up for 8 every morning. 9 hours sleep total which is less than the recommended amount for his age but doesn't at all seem to affect his functioning or form. He'll only go to bed earlier if ill and even that is rare. This, I gather from other parents at his school, is very unusual for his age.

I wouldn't stress over it. Averages are just that, averages and different children will need different amounts of sleep at night.

Advertisement