Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weston Airport for sale?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭

apparently so, discussion on here about it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481445

i hate when stuff like this happens. i wouldnt want it to be ramped up. its not so bad at the moment with flyovers. lucan people should know about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Hardly a surprise since NAMA has to get its money back someway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. Back in the day it was a grass field used by amateur pilots who loved flying their little Cessnas and the like. Then a major drug dealer used it for international drug imports. Hopefully it will soon be a grass field for amateur pilots again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. Back in the day it was a grass field used by amateur pilots who loved flying their little Cessnas and the like. Then a major drug dealer used it for international drug imports. Hopefully it will soon be a grass field for amateur pilots again :)

I just found this. What utter bull**t.:eek:
    Where is the moderator???:mad:

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

I just found this. What utter bull**t.:eek:

QDM

Well if it's not true you better sue the Indo....
    After over a year of investigation and surveillance, Gardai discovered the supply route, which used private aircraft to pick up heroin in Belgium and fly it into Citywest Airport (formerly known as the Weston Aerodrome), which was bought by Jim Mansfield in 2001. Gardai believe that at least 10 large shipments of the drug were flown into Ireland by the route before last week's seizure.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mansfield-jet-trafficking-led-by-former-ira-activist-135293.html

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Bloody hell!!!:eek:

Thanks for that. Had not seen the Indo article.Wouldn't have believed it, but there were no charges brought, were there?:confused:

Question...Were the shipments mentioned made before the Mansfield take over? :confused:

QDM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Bloody hell!!!:eek:

Thanks for that. Had not seen the Indo article.Wouldn't have believed it, but there were no charges brought, were there?:confused:

Question...Were the shipments mentioned made before the Mansfield take over? :confused:

QDM

I presume your referring to the pilots when you ask about the charges, I believe they were released without charge as they didn't know about the drugs..

And to answer the Question... The shipments were made after Mansfield bought Weston....

some more light reading for you courtesy of the indo... :D

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/no-drugs-in-my-business-billionaire-1462183.html

What utter bull**t.:eek:

He posted it ;)

2001 the film "Blow" is released
    2002 Weston is bought

Coincidence, inspiration? Or should I move this to the conspiracy theories forum? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What sort of checks (customs and the like) are done at airfields like Weston? Is it basically a private free for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

What sort of checks (customs and the like) are done at airfields like Weston? Is it basically a private free for all?

There are customs checks at Weston.

Question in the Dail re Custom Checks at Weston and Baldonnel.
    http://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/14383/

Interview with Jim Mansfield (again, courtesy of the indo).
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/no-drugs-in-my-business-billionaire-1462183.html

Good to see that there are (some) checks nowadays at the airport. Pity it doesn't say how many incoming international flights were thoroughly checked. Banana airport back then though from the link quoted above:
    Gardai believe that at least 10 large shipments of the drug were flown into Ireland by the route before last week's seizure.

On Thursday Mr Mansfield issued a statement saying he was shocked that his private jet had been used by smugglers

LOL, Mansfield says he was shocked his plane was used to import drugs on a huge scale :)

Just as shocked as Bertie was with all the unexplained sterling and dollar lodgements into his bank account :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement