Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm moving to Kilkenny - advice?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

I will be moving to Kilkenny in early January to start a new job, and would like some suggestions and advice on how to meet people to make some friends, as I know nobody in the city! :)

I am reasonably familiar with the city, but not looking forward to the prospect of sitting at home watching tv alone every night!

I'm 25 years old and willing to give anything a go! Particularly interested in music and I like to play the guitar.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Take up hurling, I believe its big down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

chughes wrote: »
    Take up hurling, I believe its big down there.

Being a Wexford man, hurling isn't exactly a built in talent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

#IBsuggestiontogotoTheWorldsEnd

Have you any interest in playing soccer? Doesn't have to be the 11-a-side kind, just a kick about on an astro pitch. It's generally a handy enough way to meet up with people. There's a guy on this forum looking for people to play on a Monday night. If you go back a few pages I'm sure you'll find the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Kilkenny City is a good spot. Plenty of leisure activities. Plenty of pubs and clubs etc. Buy the Kilkenny People. Check under classified for notifications for club meetings etc. Try Puc Fada on Rose Inn Street or the Field on the Parade, both are sports bars to the best of my limited knowledge. Welcome and hope you enjoy your time here OP :D

Thanks very much for the suggestion! I might take a look at it actually. I used to play 11 a side soccer every Saturday for many years, but finished that up when I was about 20, but good thing to maybe look at getting back into, cheers.

• Advertisement

holyhead wrote: »
    Kilkenny City is a good spot. Plenty of leisure activities. Plenty of pubs and clubs etc. Buy the Kilkenny People. Check under classified for notifications for club meetings etc. Try Puc Fada on Rose Inn Street or the Field on the Parade, both are sports bars to the best of my limited knowledge. Welcome and hope you enjoy your time here OP :D

Thank you :)
    Will have to take a look at the papers when I get there..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Thanks very much for the suggestion! I might take a look at it actually. I used to play 11 a side soccer every Saturday for many years, but finished that up when I was about 20, but good thing to maybe look at getting back into, cheers.

If you're looking to get back into playing for a league team again then there are plenty of teams around the county. 2 new teams have set up this year to add to the 20+ around the place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Don't forget there's the 11-a-side astroturf league in the evenings during the week. Maybe you could tell the forum some of your interests/ specific things you want to know and we could fire you in the right direction.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for, just a social activity so I can meet some people and make some friends. Someone I'd be able to call to ask to go for a coffee on a Saturday afternoon, or a pint on Saturday night kinda thing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If you want to meet new people, the best pubs for that in my opinion would be the Pump House, Ryans and Billy Byrnes. Billy Byrnes does a movie night every Wednesday. Also every second Wednesday, Ryans has an open mic night so you could play your guitar there, I'm sure you'd meet a few people that way. I usually go for a pint midweek as I work weekends. Enjoy KK, it's great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Lots of music in Kilkenny, bands playing everywhere every weekend. There does be open mic nights on too sometimes which would probably be better for meeting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

If you want to meet new people, the best pubs for that in my opinion would be the Pump House, Ryans and Billy Byrnes. Billy Byrnes does a movie night every Wednesday. Also every second Wednesday, Ryans has an open mic night so you could play your guitar there, I'm sure you'd meet a few people that way. I usually go for a pint midweek as I work weekends. Enjoy KK, it's great place.

beat me to it with the Billy Byrnes suggestion - always something on in there, nice friendly pub, the wednesday movie club is great - does he still gove out the bikkies and popcorn? haven't been in a few months...do you have any interests? Personally I tihnks its easiest to meet people through stuff that you already take part in eg. athletics, horse riding, team sports, drama etc etc etc
    Oh yeah the wine centre on John St have a club and are always doing wine/beer/whiskey tasting classes

Something I do have an interest in is joining a gym, something I've started to get into a little recently.. but it's not a great social outlet!

If you want to get fit and make friends, we have the most awesome cycling club in Kilkenny. Actually, there's loads of sports clubs in Kilkenny and no shortage of gyms either, I was in Hotel Kilkenny which was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

If you follow Kilkenny Events Guide on facebook it will update you on a number of things going on around the city.

There are usually gigs on in Pumphouse, Cleeres and Ryans most weekends. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beano1

I'm starting work in KK in February but won't be living there.There seems to be a good tennis club there so I plan on joining that just to get to know a few people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Kilford Arms.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Kilford Arms.

Why would you go to the Kilford Arms when the Worlds End is next door?

Can't believe that took 19 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

All the buzz killers are wise to our ways of TWE these day's Havoc, that's why you don't see many references to it these days.

It's also why I drink in Pat Carroll's now. What a spot!

fabbydabby wrote: »
    All the buzz killers are wise to our ways of TWE these day's Havoc, that's why you don't see many references to it these days.

It's also why I drink in Pat Carroll's now. What a spot!

Remind me to put "buzz-killers will be banned" if we ever change the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Hi Paul,

I moved to Kilkenny last weekend, going to join the cycling club next over the coming days..

I too play guitar, and I gather the city is great for live music..

Heading out this Thursday to see Big Generator in the city...

Good luck with the move..

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Saw them in Killarney this summer and it was a great night out...

Seen them several times and also going to head to the Springsteen tribute band in Kyteler's Inn, should be a good night out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amylou23

I'm moving to Kilkenny too, seems like there'll be some stuff to do at least :)

Good luck with the move..

Advertisement