Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone wifi PC too old

Options
  • 14-12-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I have updated today to vodafone mobile wifi. I previously had a vodafone mobile stick which I inserted into the PC (think this is called USB)

The PC was purchased in circa 2006 and I suspect that it is too old to use the mobile part of the wifi, therefore I think I will have to keep the wifi plugged into my PC. Is there anything I can do with the PC to allow it to use the mobile part of the wife or will I have to leave it plugged in to access the internet.

My son is getting a etablet from Santa, will he have to do anything to pick up the wifi or will he be able to pick it up from the PC where the wifi will be plugged in

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to purchase a wifi card or wifi usb dongle for the pc.

For example:

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1904540

the wifi dongle is probably the better option as it will save you opening the pc which you would have to do to install a wireless card. Also if you use a usb extension cord with the wifi dongle it can help get the best signal as it allows more flexibility in placement.

The vodafone mobile wifi will create a wireless network which you can then access from the pc once you have either the usb dongle or card.

So long as the etablet has wifi capabilities it should be able to access the vodafone wifi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I purchased a belkin dongle and inserted it into the PC and all was working well , both etablet and PC picking up the signal and download were fast. However in the last week the PC became slow and started hanging a lot - etablet was ok.

This morning I plugged the wifi directly into the pc and the speed and response has become quick again.

What would the problem be?

Advertisement