Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put petrol in diesel vehicle

• 14-12-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

hi, my sister friend put €50 petrol in my her new 2006 hyundai terracan 2.9 diesel.
    she drove away at it and now wont start she always had petrol cars so just completely forgot.
    she going to bring it to a garage but doesnt want to be fleeced.

what you's think

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

,mods
    is there anyone who would sticky a solution to this problem
    i think it would help
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/misfuelling.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

There's no quick fix, The tank needs to be drained. Fuel filter will need to be changed.

And hope that there has been no damage to the engine. How far did she drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

And hope that there has been no damage to the engine. How far did she drive?
    that's the big question and the answer is going to be the difference between a few hundred quid to a few thousand if she's done a lot of damage.

http://www.motortorque.com/articles/auto-0711/help-ive-put-petrol-in-a-diesel-engine-frequently-asked-questions.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

she drove it home probably 30miles

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

€€€ I would think....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Doesn't sound good at all, you could be looking at serious bills. No expert, but I believe that even turning the fuel pump on can cause damage. Sorry to be pessimistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep, the fuel pump in the terracant has an awful reputation at the best of times, tiny shards of metal from the pump go up the fuel lines and feck the injectors up

Petrol in the diesel pump could have catastrophic effect on the pump. Don't want to alarm you but I'd cover all bases on this if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

worked in a petrol station for years ,u wound not believe how many times a week people would do this ,the good news is its not as bad as u think ,it be worse if it was diesel into petrol tank as diesel is not as clean ,if your with the aa they will sort it out for you or your insurance normally has roadside assistance try them ,the aa will tow you to a garage ,now when i worked in the garage we used to phone a guy who would empty the tank and the most he charged was 150 euro,

ok hoping the worse case would be new pump and few injectors and clean out tank.... hoping the engine would be ok and wouldnt need to be replaced

thanks

meercat wrote: »
    ,mods
    is there anyone who would sticky a solution to this problem
    i think it would help
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/misfuelling.html
    just read that in the garage the customer never started there car maybe thats why it was so cheap to fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

sandra06 wrote: »
    worked in a petrol station for years ,u wound not believe how many times a week people would do this ,the good news is its not as bad as u think ,it be worse if it was diesel into petrol tank as diesel is not as clean ,if your with the aa they will sort it out for you or your insurance normally has roadside assistance try them ,the aa will tow you to a garage ,now when i worked in the garage we used to phone a guy who would empty the tank and the most he charged was 150 euro,

maybe thats ok if they cop what they are after doing in the petrol station but after driving it for 30 miles and the car cutting out i dont think it will stop at a quick drain of the tank

after 30 miles there's a good chance it'll be fecked. diesel fuel is one of the main lubricants of a diesel engine and petrol will remove all of those lubricants and leave bare metal scraping together.

depending on how much diesel was in the tank at the time, it'll be anywhere from a tank drain, a new fuel pump and filters etc. (potentially, if there's a lot of damage) all the way up to an engine rebuild. :(

guy i used to work with did it the first time he filled up his brand new x-trail and it cost him the guts of 2.5k to get it fixed and afaik most (if not all) insurance companies won't pay out for mis-fuelling.

sean1141 wrote: »
    maybe thats ok if they cop what they are after doing in the petrol station but after driving it for 30 miles and the car cutting out i dont think it will stop at a quick drain of the tank
    yep your right ,the customers would have mostly noticed it straighaway

ok she never had a diesel before and force of habit just going for the petrol..

only got it 2 days and would be a real nightmare if had to replace the engine

according to the article a linked to earlier, something like 40,000 people do it in the UK every year, so she's not alone. fingers crossed it doesn't turn out too bad for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Very unlikely the entire engine would need replacing, however it is quite possible the injection pump, injectors, fuel lift pump and filters would all need replacing, unfortunately this could cost several thousand to fix.

To start with, the tank needs to be drained and refilled with diesel, filters changes, fuel lines bled, and then see if it starts / runs.

Advertisement