Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading my computer

Options
  • 14-12-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello everyone.

I'm looking to get a new Graphics Card, currently sporting 'Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS' as it seems to be on the way out, showing me red/blue pixels (almost like a line of space invaders) and freezing up the computer and needing a reboot.

Anyhows I bought the computer in 2007 so I figure it's time I put some money into it and get a better Graphics Card for todays standards for high quality games, ie Battlefield and the like.

My current motherboard is a 'Asus P5N-E SLI' and the problem is I'm not sure what Card I can buy that is compatable with it, so I was hoping someone here could suggest a good Graphics Card or maybe explain to me what I should be looking for, idealy I would like to spend about 100euro on
    the card and I might even add more RAM, currently I have 2.00GB might go up to 4 so any suggestions for RAM would be great, would be happy to spend about 50euro on that.

Here is a link to the Motherboard specs:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI/#specifications

Some info on my current computer.

Motherboard: Asus P5N-E SLI
    RAM: Corsair XMS2 Xtreame Preformance DDR2 Memory 2.00GB Memory
    PSU: 550w
    Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @2.40Ghz
    Monitor: LG W226

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need any info on my computer and I will gladly share it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Exact make of PSU ? just to check the 12v rail output.

Also you may find hard to find matching ddr2 ram for your current ones,may be easier to look for a 4gb kit on ebay that fits the board.

Also I'd overclock your CPU as it will probably limit you in the newer games.

As for GPU choice,for your budget i'd look for a hd6850. Good card and can be got for close to 100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Can you take a snapshot of your power supply on the inside of the case? There should be a side of it with a table of numbers. We'll need that to determine what sort of power it can deliver, and therefore what kind of graphics card it can support.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I said here million times now lol.

Got dell with 375w psu. It's same spec as your pc, but 3gb ram.

Put in 6870 and enjoy your gaming experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Peppege

Thanks for the replies lads.

I made a table of the...table and could not figure out how to get it here so I put on Imageshack, I hope its legible for ya.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/watts.jpg/

To Dan ep82

Grand so, I have no problem buying new RAM cards. Thanks.

To Shadowhearth

For the moment I would like to limit my purchase to RAM and the Graphics Card, as far as I know everything else is in good shape, will look into that if need be, thanks.

Peppege wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.

I made a table of the...table and could not figure out how to get it here so I put on Imageshack, I hope its legible for ya.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/watts.jpg/

To Dan ep82

Grand so, I have no problem buying new RAM cards. Thanks.

To Shadowhearth

For the moment I would like to limit my purchase to RAM and the Graphics Card, as far as I know everything else is in good shape, will look into that if need be, thanks.

well thats what i said, drop 6870 in to it and it will make such a huge difference for your machine. like i said my old PC is indentical machine to yours. thats what i did and it worked for me. it was very cheap upgrade for performance gained.

Is your Windows 64 bit though? you will need 64 bit to be able to use extra RAM and memory on GPU.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Nope, I have 32-bit vista, guess I will need to upgrade that too then, cheers.

What do yas think about this card and would it run on my pc?

RADEON HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I SL-DVI-D DP HDMI IN

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEM310885

Wow, even better. would that be a good choice then? with all these bargains I might even get a better one. :D

Peppege wrote: »
    Wow, even better. would that be a good choice then? with all these bargains I might even get a better one. :D

that card is great, plain and simple, it wont even bottleneck your CPU much. if i would need to buy a new card again for my old pc, i would buy this again.

****, i even wasted money on gtx 570, which is the same price as 2x6870. and 2x6870 > gtx570 ( by freaking a lot! )

• Advertisement
Advertisement