Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copenhagen Marathon 2012

Options
  • 14-12-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever done this? Considering doing it myself but would like to some others opinions on it if possible! :)

Its between this or Barcelona as their both in March, but leaning more towards Copenhagen...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Anyone ever done this? Considering doing it myself but would like to some others opinions on it if possible! :)

Its between this or Barcelona as their both in March, but leaning more towards Copenhagen...

Copenhagen is on late May? Do both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

So it is... Silly Blaine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Rome is on March 18th too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Was in Copenhagen for a long weekend recently to visit a friend who's got a job there. It's a really nice city so the marathon is definitely something I'll be thinking about for the future.

One word of advice if you decide to do it is bring plenty cash as it's a frighteningly expensive place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'm 90% in for this, just need to get out for a few encouraging runs over Christmas and I'll book in Jan.

On the price, it's not so bad if you prepare. Norwegian.dk for flights are ca. €120 (IIRC) that weekend, and you can get some reasonably priced accomodation too. A clubmate has done the race (3:00) and says it's good, tight in some places and overall flat, well organised. As I'm half-Danish it's one I'll have to tick off at some time, and no time like the present!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

This is on now. Irish athletes to the fore. Some Boardsies among them. Bazman currently in front.

Great live tracking facility!

http://live.copenhagenmarathon.dk/en.html#men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Barbra Sanchez going well at halfway.

Yes indeed. The Tracking is the business. Can literally follow Bazman as he runs each step. Leading at 25k. Only a couple of weeks after Hannover too.

Live video too. Site is ridiculously good.

Bazman winning at 30k. 01:41:35

Barbara Sanchez winning at 30k. 01:52:21
    Anyone with a calculator. Is that sub A standard pace?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That will bring her in just under 2:38.

So close and yet so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Live video too. Site is ridiculously good.

Bazman winning at 30k. 01:41:35

He seems to be making a break at 35k.

What a brilliant site.

Extraordinary recovery powers. He's a demon :D

Kurt Godel wrote: »

What a brilliant site.

All thats missing is a projected finish time. Its probably there but don't have time to get it as I'm glued to the action.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    He seems to be making a break at 35k.

What a brilliant site.

He needs to if he's going to pb, thats 2:24 pace. :pac:

It's a good site, nice and simple - no flashy, pretty backgrounds or graphics and has all the stuff you actually want.

I've FB updates on Rene.
    30 KM i tiden 2 timer, 3 minutter & 32 sekunder.
    He's flying it (even if my Danish is non existent)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Bazman has 30 meters on 2nd and seems to be extending this lead

Sanchez has slowed down, current pace will bring her in about 2:38:49. She needs to dig deep if she's going to do it.

Rene could sub 2:52.
    Looks like a lovely marathon.

• Advertisement

2 back to back marathons must have cost Barry. Still, 2nd is pretty damn impressive.

Sanchez increasing her lead but off the standard time unfortunately.

She must be struggling. Slowing down. Looks quite warm out there too.

Looks warm alright. Rene lost a bit of time in the closing phases but a fine PB nonetheless. 2:55:56 Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks warm alright. Rene lost a bit of time in the closing phases but a fine PB nonetheless. 2:55:56 Well done.
    22 minute PB. Very tasty. Must be something behind all that Lydiard training. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

http://live.copenhagenmarathon.dk/en.html
    results up
    Well done to Barbara Sanchez, winner Copenhagen marathon, 2.41, went for the London time and just missed it fell away late on. 2.26 Barry Minnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Having finished and finally being back in Ireland, first of all thanks to all those who supported me on Facebook. Secondly, on the race itself, definitely recommended. The course is flat, the support top notch and Copenhagen is a beautiful capital (and impeccably clean!). Thought I'd comment on the course since this is a thread on the marathon itself:

I discussed the course with Barry in a cafe on the evening and his take is that its only real weakness is too many bends and sharp turns, a good bit of cobblestones and numerous occasions where you jump up and down curbs or traffic islands. Looking back, that's true enough, and he reckons it could mean a few minutes difference if you were to compare to the super-fast courses such as Rotterdam.

He'd also rate it slightly slower than Dublin. Hard to compare. Definitely not a slow marathon, so one if going for the experience first and foremost and probably all but the most elite can still see it as a very good bet for PBs. If time is the only concern, then the flat German or Dutch ones may be the better bet and if you want to be sure to avoid warm weather then it is very late in Spring.

I've only done Dublin and this and with 5 years apart, I cannot really compare. Winning times in Copenhagen make it look slower than it is because the price money is relatively modest. Still they were very close to getting into the top-25 largest marathons in the world this year, but missed out because of the high rate of DNFs. Very unlucky on the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Really enjoyed Copenhagen - it's a good course and the support is amazing due to it being a multi-lap route. There were some annoying kerb hopping, cobbles, & turns, but overall it's an ok course. Possible PB course in good conditions - it was just a freak day weather wise. 25 degrees is simply too hot for running a marathon. The real reason behind the relative slow times for everyone this year was definitely the heat.

Personally I was in the order of 9 minutes slower in Copenhagen Hannover - if I was to roughly break this down I'd say about 2 mins due to on course, 3-4 mins due to heat & 3-4 mins due to not being fully recovered from Hannover.
    It was particularly hard on Barbara Sanchez as reckon she could have ran in the order of 5-6 mins quicker on a faster course in cool conditions, which would have put her in the Olympic mix. The Danes didn't understand how someone could be so disappointed after winning a race …

The guy who won just had an absolutely amazing finish - he must have been in absolute cruise mode for 35km. He ran last 7km at close to 3:15/k pace, whereas I was slowing to 3:50/k pace (>4:00/k at times). Taking on the lead after 15km wasn’t the brightest moment of my life, but even if I went with different tactics and ran slower for first 30km I don't think I'd have been able to match his closing pace. Happy that I managed to hold off everyone else – only reason I did was because the majority slowed in parallel with myself :)

BTW: Copenhagen is a very expensive city - no austerity in sight – worth taking into consideration if you're thinking about travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

bazman wrote: »
    Personally I was in the order of 9 minutes slower in Copenhagen Hannover - if I was to roughly break this down I'd say about 2 mins due to on course, 3-4 mins due to heat & 3-4 mins due to not being fully recovered from Hannover.

Well done Barry. Whats up next, gonna try win national marathon title in october?

Advertisement