Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo I.T accommodation

Options
  • 14-12-2011 11:21pm

I searched this before I started a thread, so I do apologize mod if it already exists... somewhere.

Anyhu, looking for accommodation from January onwards, for my brother.

He's in college in Sligo I.T .. so far he's been driving up & down...

But, its costing far too much in petrol.. soo.. where are good areas to live?

I've heard estates around the old bundoran road arent the best..

Could anyone recommend any good spots? Or does anyone know of anywhere good?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The proper student villages (yeats village, clarion, gateway apartments) will be expensive and would average about €80 + a week. There are some other normal estates that have been taken over by students. They'd be Mulberry and Glencarraig. Prices there will vary but they will be cheaper than the others. They'd be right beside the college so would probably be the handiest for him.

The college is only about 15 minutes away from the town centre so anywhere in town would be easily walkable to the college. I did my forth year and lived in town the whole year and walked most days and it was fine. If you get bad weather he'd be best to drive in though.

There are a few areas that have a bad reputation, one of which would be Rathbraughan. A few bad types around there.

Hope he's enjoying college. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I live on the Bundoran road OP just before Rathbraughan (which is rough apparently), but nothing's ever been said to me or any of my housemates.

You can get houses in town from €40 a week going by my mates. As said it's only a 15 minute walk.

I personally wouldn't go for Gateway, athough they were literally on the front door of the IT (because they still owe me a deposit from last year and they're the most expensive overall from what I understand) but the rest Yeats or the Clarion should be ok.

Hope he's enjoying it :D

Thank you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

These days, I notice a lot of "housemate wanted/needed/required" kind of posters on the notice boards around the IT. Maybe they're worth looking at...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm probably more than a tad outdated at this stage but when I lived in Yeats back in 2002, the place was nice and convenient to the college but was 80euro a week for a shared room.(IIRC). The fellow running the place was a bit of a chancer I felt, for instance, one time I broke a light shade (indoor sports :pac:) and asked him how much to have it replaced and where could I get a replacement. He told me they were 60 euro, but Not only would he refuse to tell me where they are purchased, but he also insisted on bringing in an electrician to fit a light shade!:eek: I eventually got it out of him where he buys the shades, rang the company, asked how much were they roughly, the girl said "just the one is it?, ara its all right, I'll send down a free one to you!"
    I fitted the thing myself (and I'm no electrician either!) and went up to the man and told him it was all done and dusted and if he wanted to check he could. He wasn't a happy camper.

Second year I lived at the top of Rathbraughan, it seemed alright, one housing estate on the way to it from the college was a little bit iffy but keep the nose out of it and you should be sound.

Third year I lived in Cartron Bay, it looks pretty rough but I never had any hassle there. Few more families living there than students, so noise levels are a bit lower than the other two estates.

But that's from 2002-05 so things might have changed since then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Timea

I found a place in sligo and im looking for a housemate. the apartment is in city gate. newish apartment with 2 double bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. the rent is around €600-620/month. if ur brother is interested let me know asap and i put down the deposit as soon as i can :D u can contact me on <email address removed - please contact by PM> :)

Advertisement