Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advance Pitstop 1 year labour €99

• 14-12-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I bought this for €99 in a shopping centre. Basically its €665 worth of labour over 12 months for €99, catch being u pay for parts and oils.

Anyone experience with this? Is it a decent offer?

Im gonna get the full service option first, so parts & oils should not be more than €40 I presume.

Im gonna try and use every euro of the €665 over 12 months anyway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have to buy the parts from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    I bought this for €99 in a shopping centre. Basically its €665 worth of labour over 12 months for €99, catch being u pay for parts and oils.

Anyone experience with this? Is it a decent offer?

Im gonna get the full service option first, so parts & oils should not be more than €40 I presume.

Im gonna try and use every euro of the €665 over 12 months anyway

They will have write ups on parts, probably 30% or more right up on plugs, filters etc. Never heard of a deal like that before regarding labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its a very strange deal...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

It seems to be a dodgy deal,Does that you bring your vocher everythime you go to Advance Pitshop? or is it only vaild for one Advance Pitshop Point in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It seems to be a dodgy deal,Does that you bring your vocher everythime you go to Advance Pitshop? or is it only vaild for one Advance Pitshop Point in the country?

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Haha

Does that break down as 10 hours labour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Would be great for a timing belt change / engine swop :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

Sleepy wrote: »
    True

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    I bought this for €99 in a shopping centre. Basically its €665 worth of labour over 12 months for €99, catch being u pay for parts and oils. ...............

The catch is most folk who avail of the offer won't go anywhere near €665 worth of labour. Realistically €99 is at least two if not three hours labour, throw in your car for two services and they're still covered :)

If 100 people avail of the offer they get €9900 up front, realistically how many of those hundred people would have thought this out enough before buying?

BTW parts and oils for a full service off advance will be over €40, that might cover the oil and oil filter if you have a modest enough wagon :) Throw in a set of plugs and and air filter and you could double it or more if the car takes platinum plugs.

Also if you have paid for €665 labour up front and got over €500 discount you'd almost be delighted to hear that your back shocks are on the way out, might as well get them done this year seems as you'll save on the labour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Its a very strange deal...:confused:

There's definitely something dodgy, and I don't just mean the fact that it's advanced that'd be doing the work...

must have to buy the parts from them or some such

must have to buy the parts from them or some such

In fairness there's no doubt that's the case :)

.... I'd also suspect that they could be creative enough with reasons for not taking on some timing belt jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its probably 10 hours labour. They will no doubt quote longer job times to eat up that time and make up some more on parts mark up. Some purchasers will only call in for a service in that year so overall, its a nice bundle of upfront cash for the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... I'd also suspect that they could be creative enough with reasons for not taking on some timing belt jobs.

They'd have to take on whatever job you want them to take on. I'd suspect they could be creative coming up with the price of a TB kit though :D
    mickdw wrote: »
    its a nice bundle of upfront cash for the business.

This is it. Much better than any groupon / citydeal deal for the business I'd say

I'm gonna ring them tomorrow for a laugh and get a quote for the timing belt on my s60 giving them the assumption that I have already bought this voucher. I'm itching to know how much they will tell me the timing belt kit costs:D, If they fob me of with micky mouse bull sh!te figures for a timing belt kit I'll be quick to tell em off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm gonna ring them tomorrow for a laugh and get a quote for the timing belt on my s60 giving them the assumption that I have already bought this voucher. I'm itching to know how much they will tell me the timing belt kit costs:D, If they fob me of with micky mouse bull sh!te figures for a timing belt kit I'll be quick to tell em off :D

Can't wait for you to come back on here. €300 timing belt kit anyone? :D

unkel wrote: »
    Can't wait for you to come back on here. €300 timing belt kit anyone? :D

Ebay is showing approx €120 for a timing belt kit for my car. Micks garage want €165 which is abit much! So with an enormous write up and 'pulled out of the arse' essential gold plated tensioner €300 would probably be about right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ebay is showing approx €120 for a timing belt kit for my car. Micks garage want €165 which is abit much! So with an enormous write up and 'pulled out of the arse' essential gold plated tensioner €300 would probably be about right :D
    Please tell me you'll actually ask them "is that gold plated at that price?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Sleepy wrote: »

If you value your car, no way I'd trust a job like this to these monkies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

What worries me is that people with get anyone to "service" their car if their price is cheap. The price is cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I used a particular branch of Advance for a 4 wheel alignment. The car was returned to me pulling to the right with the steering wheel turned about 15degrees to the left. Put it back, refund, out the door.
    I wouldn't let that shower change a bulb on my Christmas tree, never mind a timing belt.

unkel wrote: »
    They'd have to take on whatever job you want them to take on. I'd suspect they could be creative coming up with the price of a TB kit though :D

Well for the KV6 is my car the timing equipment required costs a few hundred as well as the belts and pump etc. Now, instead of refusing to take it on they might propose that the customer pays for that as well as for the belts and pumps.

Example of kit.......
    http://www.bennetts.com/rover-timing-tools/laser-tools-4577-2048587-82425-627870.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Some shower this lot, a mate of mine rang me recently to have a look at his wifes motor 07 Focus, she had been to Advance Pitstop for a pre Nct (ride) check and they had quoted her €580 for a service, brake pads, track rod ends, 1 tyre and a rear wiper, I brought the car for a bit of a spin replaced the brake pads and did a standard service the next day and the car flew the Nct.

Lesson chicks in short skirts beware..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Apologies for resurrecting this zombie thread but has anyone else experienced this offer being pitched door to door.
    A sales rep called to the door at home this evening plugging this offer as a "unique once-off" an saying it was only available if 15 houses in the estate signed up.
    My wife had answers the door and said she wasn't interested a few times.
    Mr Persistency ignored her until I when out and asked who he was selling for.
    Once he said Advance, I laughed and said "you've got to be joking. Not a chance in hell" and bade him farewell.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Another resurrection. Got talked into this once-off unique VIP deal yesterday by Advance Pitstop rep. And from what I can see in here it was not a good decision. Does the 1 week cancellation because it was done at my home apply here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Whether or not it's a good deal depends on how many of the services on the card you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

God no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scooter8

I wouldn't touch Advance Pitstop again. I made the error of buying one of those €99 VIP vouchers. Put it in for 4 tyres and a pre-NCT.
    780 euro later with the most expensive tyres and about 60 euro to change a couple of light bulbs.
    Sure they did the job but I got screwed by being given the most expensive options available.

I priced the same job at Fast Fit and they said they could have given me cheaper tyres at 96 euro each instead of 190.

They are a bunch of scam artists, I originally bought the voucher to have the timing belt done, but no way is this going to happen now - so have thrown away 99 euro.
    Bad luck to them!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Scooter8 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch Advance Pitstop again. I made the error of buying one of those €99 VIP vouchers. Put it in for 4 tyres and a pre-NCT.
    780 euro later with the most expensive tyres and about 60 euro to change a couple of light bulbs.
    Sure they did the job but I got screwed by being given the most expensive options available.

I priced the same job at Fast Fit and they said they could have given me cheaper tyres at 96 euro each instead of 190.

They are a bunch of scam artists, I originally bought the voucher to have the timing belt done, but no way is this going to happen now - so have thrown away 99 euro.
    Bad luck to them!!

€879, surely? :)

I also wonder why when the customer is winning big(say getting a TB on the cheap), that's grand, but if the company is winning, they're "scam artists.."

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scooter8

€879, surely? :)

I also wonder why when the customer is winning big(say getting a TB on the cheap), that's grand, but if the company is winning, they're "scam artists.."

I don't understand Desolation of Smug, €879 , where did you get that.

I was conned into buying the voucher, I was stupid to fall for it yes definitely. My thinking at the time was that I would get a good price for a few tyres and then get a new timing belt.
    Looking for fair play not a rip off.

I was conned into buying the voucher, I was stupid to fall for it yes definitely. My thinking at the time was that I would get a good price for a few tyres and then get a new timing belt.

€780 plus the €99... you'd have got better value for money just buying what you wanted from an Indy. Vouchers are universally shyte IMO, you turn money you can spend anywhere into money you can only spend in one place, under their terms. I wasn't really having a go, I just hate vouchers...

What tyres are they? If they are good premium tyres it could save your ass one day. Still very expensive mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Bad luck to them!!

I sent my last car into them for the "free nct pretest" that they were doing.They told me it would need about €600 spent on it (mainly suspension components) to pass.The car had 65k miles on it.

I stuck it in for the nct and it passed without a bother.

Total cowboys.All these chains are the same.You just cant beat a decent indy mechanic.

magentis wrote: »
    I sent my last car into them for the "free nct pretest" that they were doing.They told me it would need about €600 spent on it (mainly suspension components) to pass.The car had 65k miles on it.

Total cowboys.All these chains are the same.You just cant beat a decent indy mechanic.

As an example, my eldest lad bunged in an A4 diesel - "it needs pads and discs - in the region of €500.00"...After I finished laughing that he had ignored the fact we have a lift and fix cars at work...I ordered a set of pads and discs for it to fit them for him...€79.00 trade....popped it onto the lift and took off the wheels....and admired the fresh, barely worn in brake set-up, a good 7-8 mm on the pads and nice, shiny fresh discs...I sent back the pads/discs and got my €79.00 creditted back and asked him would he like me to change his spark plugs while I was at it...I'd do him a good price.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Passing the NCT doesnt mean the suspension is all hunkey dorey. Having both shocks bollocksed can show as no imbalance for instance. It's also a person looking around underneath so theres no guarentee he wont miss things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Passing the NCT doesnt mean the suspension is all hunkey dorey. Having both shocks bollocksed can show as no imbalance for instance. It's also a person looking around underneath so theres no guarentee he wont miss things.

The suspension was perfect.
    65k miles on it,90% dual carriageway.
    I had it for another 20k miles after that and it felt as tight as it did when i bought it.Infact i met the guy that bought it a few years later and it went through the next nct without any suspension components.

Most of the guys working in these chains are low paid,inexperienced,have no motivation and do not know their ar$e from their elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Most of the guys working in these chains are low paid,inexperienced,have no motivation and do not know their ar$e from their elbow.

The biggest issue is that they are all on sales commission and are encouraged to up sell. Main dealer service staff are also pushing sales like this nowadays but perhaps in a more reasonable manner so if told you need something at the main dealer, you can at least expect the part to have been checked and be in semi poor condition.
    At some of these chain stores, everyone seems to be recommended new discs, pads and a shock or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I met a guy in Santry Omni shopping centre that was selling these.

He was a really pushy seller,

He wanted me to sign up there and then and he had no leaflets to take away or anything regarding the offer, only what he had in front of him, which I couldn't take. And he was there just for the day.

I asked a couple of questions regarding service centres and it had to be the same service centre and all jobs recommended by Advanced Pitshop should be carried out and parts bought from them.

I said to him, I'll think about it.
    He replied "I don't understand why you don't want it"

I gave him a puzzled look and walked away

I thought he was fair rude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the nct pre tests are absolute total BS! what authority do Advanced Pitstop have? Also in terms of vested interests it is laughable, you could probably bring a 151 car in and they would tell you it needs work! My car failed the nct on some suspension work, I was out of the country for nearly two weeks, got back and just about managed to book a retest for the last possible day i.e. the deadline, decided to cancel it and just to full test again, wouldnt be surprised if it fails on different stuff now. I decided against putting it through the retest, as to do so I would have been done on the parts and labour, compared to what I can get them for if I have a few days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the nct pre tests are absolute total BS! what authority do Advanced Pitstop have?..

What authority are they claiming:confused: What authority does any mechanic have to tell you whats wrong with your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

€879 for 4 tyres and some bulbs is chronic. What tyres did you get for €190 each?
    Those Advance knobs sold someone I know a "premium" tyre, which was actually a shítty Champiro piece of muck, for the price as a real premium tyre. Could have gotten a decent enough Uniroyal or something for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Dia1988 wrote: »
    I met a guy in Santry Omni shopping centre that was selling these.

He was a really pushy seller,

He wanted me to sign up there and then and he had no leaflets to take away or anything regarding the offer, only what he had in front of him, which I couldn't take. And he was there just for the day.

They were there again today, looking for easy pickings !!

As mentioned, best to stick to a good indy, who actually have a clue !!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frogone

Cold calling in the Dun Laoghaire area. I politely told them I had a mechanic and I wasn't interested and actually my car was (and is) in a garage. Oh what are you getting done, how much is it costing.....I'm not interested thanks and on it went. Full of salesman guff and would only leave when I told him I wasn't interested period. Don't get bullied by the sales pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GoogleFanatic

They will have write ups on parts, probably 30% or more right up on plugs, filters etc. Never heard of a deal like that before regarding labour.

They are trying to use market penetration to earn more customers. That is all! Offer cheap deals to get new customers who they hope will stay. It is a tactic used by plenty of businesses. No catches, just good business methods.

They are trying to use market penetration to earn more customers. That is all! Offer cheap deals to get new customers who they hope will stay. It is a tactic used by plenty of businesses. No catches, just good business methods.

Do you work for advance Googlefanatic?

I have been told you can use it at any store and you can also share your discounts with your neighbours or family members. Advance pitstop are offering this deal to get people in the door and see their promised 'quality service'!

Do you work for advance, Googlefanatic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

see their promised 'quality service'!
    'Advanced Sh!tstop'

• Advertisement
Advertisement