Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flatscreen TV with built-in DVD *RECORDER* or HDD, etc

• 15-12-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there one and all and welcome to my first ever thread!

I am trying to find out if it's possible to buy a flatscreen TV (small; e.g. around 20" would be fine) with not just the typical built-in DVD player that is relatively common in the market but also a recording device.

It doesn't matter whether the recording method is by DVD-/+R or onto an internal HDD or even if it just allows you to connect a USB stick to record to - all I want to know is if such a TV is available anywhere.

Basically, I want to replace an old 16" TV that had a built-in VHS recorder!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ntbrenna

According to a guy in a D.I.D. store I was in earlier this week, there's no such thing as a new/flatscreen TV with a built-in recorder, regardless of format. :mad:

The only solutions that seem to be available are as follows:
    • a separate DVD recorder (with or without built-in Hard Disk Drive)
    • a Saorview decoder box with recording capabilities - i.e. can record to a USB flash drive
    • a multimedia device (such as an Archos or similar) capable of connecting to a digital TV and recording from it

I think those are the only options available on the market at this time.

If anyone knows of any other solutions, please update this thread and let the rest of us know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well you can record to a USB storage device on Panasonic flatscreens, but the recording s are encrypted and the device has to be formatted with a proprietary scheme and can't be used for anything else. Also, the sets are twice the size and more than what you are after, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ntbrenna

cnocbui wrote: »
    Well you can record to a USB storage device on Panasonic flatscreens, but the recording s are encrypted and the device has to be formatted with a proprietary scheme and can't be used for anything else. Also, the sets are twice the size and more than what you are after, AFAIK.

Thanks for your response cnocbui; it's a pity there doesn't seem to be a modern equivalent to the old Tv-VHS combi though - a giant Panasonic is a bit too much for my sister's bedroom!

Advertisement