Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Bounce Rate on Checkout page

• 15-12-2011 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Ok, so looked at analytics for my site and nearly spluttered out my tea - 96% bounce rate on the checkout page. Any idea what the hell might be the cause? Its bog standard one page WP e-commerce.
    No Paypal option but using Realex.
    Seems freakishly high. Not a tweaking issue, any ideas on the commonest mistakes at checkout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

You could get a book written on the mistakes you could make but it'd be much easier to show us your site.

Do you show shipping costs without having to go to the final checkout page? Sometimes people go through the checkout process because they can't see the shipping costs until they get to the end.

Do you have trust created with the site? An image of yourself, contact details clear, business address clear, testimonials, really good product images, really good detailed spec of the product they are buying, returns details clear, do you even accept returns...etc.

Have a browse here to see how some simple changes can have big impacts on conversion rates. Sometimes it's a case of doing some A/B testing to see what you're doing wrong - that said I'd consider putting your site on the Website Reviews forum here on Boards.ie and you might get some help.

Try here too for A/B test examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Got a screenshot of your page so we can take a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Kumejima wrote: »
    Ok, so looked at analytics for my site and nearly spluttered out my tea - 96% bounce rate on the checkout page. Any idea what the hell might be the cause? Its bog standard one page WP e-commerce.
    No Paypal option but using Realex.
    Seems freakishly high. Not a tweaking issue, any ideas on the commonest mistakes at checkout?

Do customers need to register to make a purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

p wrote: »
    Got a screenshot of your page so we can take a look?

Best to just give the site for a proper diagnosis. Without that (or a ss) it's just guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well theres something burning people up when they get to that page..

1. As mentioned, as me to register to purchase something its like going in for a ****ing donut in the local cafe and asked to fill out a marketing survey first it will only take 1 minute of your time.. Newsflash.. your making it hard to sell to people
    2. Hidden p+p.. A lot of times i purchase but it doesnt state where and when it delivers to, or in fact its a us site that doesnt have geo ip with the euro changover etc.. Usually i go as far as the checkout to see REALLY how much an item costs, if its too much i wont purchase.
    3.Amazons business Model, 4-5 Clicks to purchase.. Never any more. If your site is one of these Similar to godaddy that spams a consumer with upsell after upsell it gets bloody annoying. Im one of those guys that goes that far and gets pissed off easily about giving someone my hard earned gold coins.. Hence the bounce. I usually scream "apes" and move on swiftly.
    4. You answered your question buddy.. Wtf is realex. Im a Active global buyer/consumer for over 15 Years and nothing pisses me off more than a site not taking paypal.. (we can debate paypal over realex.. the bounce rate tips the scales on my side)
    ^^ Paypal is a boom boom purchase with no account.. I for one didnt and havent used realex in years because they werent this type of payment system.. Sign up login and then purchase.. How about "bounce" .. Log out.. Close window.. its prob the fact that paypal is global and easy with 150+ million users and its familer and secure.. ??

I hope you can see one of the above that can solve your problem .. Cheers buddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement