Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard Recommendation

Options
  • 15-12-2011 4:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

So yeah, I've had bad luck with two motherboards. Gave up on the Gigabyte one and its infinite boot loop and got the Asus board working but after a few hours I lost the second set of SATA 6GBs ports and had to move the SSD to a 3GBs port (this apparently is a problem with the Controllers on Asus boards at the moment). Am I on borrowed time with the Asus board and will the 3GBs ports go next? (Some have reported this *not* happening and having stable systems etc). Or should I look at getting a new motherboard? Or should I get a third party SATA 6GBs card and use that for my SSD?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Which Asus was it? :eek:
    I'm thinking of getting this one next month. http://ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Which Asus was it? :eek:
    I'm thinking of getting this one next month. http://ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/

It was that board but this a problem with the Intel and Marvel 6GBs SATA controllers not the board itself. This problem is manufacturer agnostic as far as I can make out. I've read about a lot of problems with both controllers across a range of boards, it's definitely not just an Asus problem. The SATA II ports are working grand. It's just the SATA III ports that are acting up for me.

And the whine continues:

USB 3.0 chipset borked. Causing serious DPC Latency when driver was installed, BSOD if attempt remove driver or disable device was attempted. So another Windows reinstall (didn't mind this). Acceptable DPC now but still higher than I like. Oh and the temperature sensors like to tell me the Northbridge is at 127 degrees while the machine is idling and get stuck at that level.

This board is most certainly a lemon on multiple levels. My luck with hardware is amusing me of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

RMARMARMAFTW

Could get a €50 1155 board to tide you over while the RMA goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Send it back. They may be a widespread issues across manufacturers but don't put up with that crap.

If you want to go with a different manufacturer and have the option, MSI's boards are very solid lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

AFAIK, the reason he hasn't is that he doesn't want to be without a motherboard for two weeks. (which is fair enough, especially if you don't have a secondary machine)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I thought that Gigabyte one was sent back and the Asus was the brother's one who would be getting the replacement for the gigabyte?
    Another one could be bought and maybe get a refund for the dodgy one or maybe sell the replacement? :confused::eek:

Monotype wrote: »
    I thought that Gigabyte one was sent back and the Asus was the brother's one who would be getting the replacement for the gigabyte?
    Another one could be bought and maybe get a refund for the dodgy one or maybe sell the replacement? :confused::eek:

No, the Gigabyte one gave me trouble from as soon as it went in so I held onto the Asus board in case I could get it working in case the Gigabyte went ape**** on me. Which it did, which is why I was very glad of when the Gigabyte went into a boot loop that clearing the CMOS wouldn't fix.

Another one can be bought and the replacement put aside for upgrading the server when I feel the need for a lower power consumption machine. Having a spare board is a bit like a comfort blanket for me anyway, a bad habit I picked up many years ago when I went through a string of board failures similar to this.

There's also a perverse pleasure in getting a lemon to work enough to make a usable machine out of it. :)

It is really not good for one's heart to swap in a new motherboard, reassemble the PC and then instead of being greeted by a boot screen to be greeted by a flashing cursor...

It on the other hand is an extremely great relief when you try in desperation unplugging your mouse since it's got a history of screwing with BIOSes and the machine boots up perfectly.

Some scare though, "I've bent CPU socket pins...", "I've damaged the memory", "This is 3 bad boards in a row" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They really advertise that mouse in bios, but most of the time it brings more problems then good.

Same as I had problems with installing windows if any USB device plugged in.

So this mobo is working so far? Some really bad luck m8.

• Advertisement

They really advertise that mouse in bios, but most of the time it brings more problems then good.

Same as I had problems with installing windows if any USB device plugged in.

So this mobo is working so far? Some really bad luck m8.

Everything is working fine. Shiny new mobo and all, no broken ports or driver problems etc. Only time will tell if the SATA ports are stable or not but if everything else worked I could get over being stuck on SATA II.

It's a lovely (if pricey) mouse. It's a real shame it has such problems with BIOSs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    Everything is working fine. Shiny new mobo and all, no broken ports or driver problems etc. Only time will tell if the SATA ports are stable or not but if everything else worked I could get over being stuck on SATA II.

It's a lovely (if pricey) mouse. It's a real shame it has such problems with BIOSs.

My gaming mouse is acting out in bios too. It's really pissing me off too:

2 USB ports in the back if I got them connected the way I got it now: windows load up, but no mouse in bios.
    Se ports, but keyboard and mouse swapped places: bios has mouse, but it won't load up windows...

Fuuuuuuuuuu :D

My gaming mouse is acting out in bios too. It's really pissing me off too:

2 USB ports in the back if I got them connected the way I got it now: windows load up, but no mouse in bios.
    Se ports, but keyboard and mouse swapped places: bios has mouse, but it won't load up windows...

Fuuuuuuuuuu :D

I had no keyboard in Windows when I booted up but had it in BIOS, was very odd. Fortunately the keyboard is PS/2 and the mobo has such a port on it (quite unusual these days) so working perfectly now. :D

Advertisement