Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to donegal

Options
  • 15-12-2011 6:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

I'll be moving up at the end of january to do a fas course in Gweedore so some questions.
    What are the decent area's to live in/around gweedore within walking cycling distance?

Is there any jiu jitsu/mma and soccer clubs?

Any other fun stuff to do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

is walking/cycling your only mode of transport OP? choices are gonna be very limited if so

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Gweedore is not a massive place so a bike will be handy enough to get around if you just intend staying in the Gweedore area. The local football team is Gweedore Celtic

http://www.gweedoreceltic.com/

The nearest reputable MMA club is the Rillion Gracie club in Letterkenny, which you can get to by bus if you can work a schedule around their class times.They were crowned the mma league club winners this year

http://www.riliongracieireland.com/

Gweedore is a beautiful area as is the surrounding towns and villages that make up the Rosses, so hope you enjoy your time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What are the decent area's to live in/around gweedore within walking cycling distance?

there's no real 'bad' area in gweedore, its not really a town, more a badly planned village. If you're walking/cycling, prob better to live bunbeg/middletown, as its not too far from the fas centre & close to shops, pubs etc.

Would be much handier with a car though, only a 40min drive to letterkenny then with much more amenities available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

retalivity wrote: »
    there's no real 'bad' area in gweedore, its not really a town, more a badly planned village. If you're walking/cycling, prob better to live bunbeg/middletown, as its not too far from the fas centre & close to shops, pubs etc.

Would be much handier with a car though, only a 40min drive to letterkenny then with much more amenities available

Its not really a village either, its more a geographic area, similiar to The Rosses or Fanad etc.
    Anyway, Gweedore is a beautiful peaceful scenic place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

yourpics wrote: »
    Its not really a village either, its more a geographic area, similiar to The Rosses or Fanad etc.
    Anyway, Gweedore is a beautiful peaceful scenic place to live.

Was going to post the same myself, its more a region rather than a town / village. There's no real town called Gweedore.

I assume your moving to Bunbeg or Derrybeg OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was going to post the same myself, its more a region rather than a town / village. There's no real town called Gweedore.

It more of a very widespread rural area with clusters of houses built randomly along the side of the road (and no trees) than a region.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm sayin nottin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Here's a thread where someone was looking for the same type of info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69365365

There isn't any bad areas in Gweedore, you would be wanting to stay in Bunbeg Derrybeg area not much point going further than that, if you contact FAS Derrybeg they would have an idea of people who offer digs for people doing courses otherwise Daft would sort you out if your looking to rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Yeah I know nothing bout the place only been to donegal 3 times and only for a day each time.

Thanks for the advice folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I'd recommend teach campbell for accommodation its only about 5 mins walk from the Fas centre and is more of a guest house than B&B and i'm sure u'd get a good weekly rate there http://www.teac-campbell.com/

Here's a link to google st view here you will see teach campbell's and if you take the factory road on the right it will take you up to the fas centre http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=55.071027,-8.297218&spn=0.00047,0.00327&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=55.071027,-8.297729&panoid=H6UlpygkQYbVgHAJLN5XXA&cbp=12,294.87,,0,12.04

Also as far a jiu jitsu/mma soccer there will be something happening somewhere just not sure where or time u'd prob be best to find that out when your there but i know Gweedore celtic have an astro pitch which is located pretty much behind the Fas centre

Advertisement