Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco christmas hours and 26th is down as Boxing Day

Options
  • 15-12-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is right place to have this.

Walking by a Tesco's this morning and notice a sign up for opening hours over Christmas

They had 26th December was down as Boxing Day.

I know they like to put Irish profits under the one umbrella but this is taking the ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

British company, and they probably get hundreds of those signs printed, for use in the UK and Ireland.

You're surprised because????? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

You should shop somewhere else on Boxing Day then, go to Dunnes it'll be Stephens day there... Hopefully I'll not need to shop on Boxing day so I'll not go to Tesco.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

polls_73a8b8bf19616a1c53285ec930bd4dee_poll_xlarge.jpeg:rolleyes:
    Paulw wrote: »
    British company, and they probably get hundreds of those signs printed, for use in the UK and Ireland.
    +1, I'm pleased to see this, I similarly like to see dual sterling/euro pricing. Having specific signs and price tags would result in a higher price of their product to me.

I do not want to pay extra to keep the over-reacting PC warriors happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

rubadub wrote: »
    polls_73a8b8bf19616a1c53285ec930bd4dee_poll_xlarge.jpeg:rolleyes:

+1, I'm pleased to see this, I similarly like to see dual sterling/euro pricing. Having specific signs and price tags would result in a higher price of their product to me.

I do not want to pay extra to keep the over-reacting PC warriors happy.
    So, you'll be encouraging Tesco to stop advertising their Irish prices on TV then; that should make a good saving on advertising costs. That's assuming of course that such a cost saving will result in a saving at the till rather than a fatter dividend for share holders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Typical really of an English company thinking they can do whatever they like and the poor auld paddies wont kick up a fuss especially now they we are broke,English companies have been treating Irish consumer as second class for such a long time that a lot of irish people have taken it as being the norm and will believe what tesco next carphonewarehouse etc tell them even if it is contrary to Irish consumer law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Trampas wrote: »

Walking by a Tesco's this morning and notice a sign up for opening hours over Christmas

I know they like to put Irish profits under the one umbrella but this is taking the ....

Outrage fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Typical really of an English company thinking they can do whatever they like and the poor auld paddies wont kick up a fuss especially now they we are broke,English companies have been treating Irish consumer as second class for such a long time that a lot of irish people have taken it as being the norm and will believe what tesco next carphonewarehouse etc tell them even if it is contrary to Irish consumer law.

Calm down. Using Boxing Day on a poster instead of St Stephen's Day isn't treating Irish people as second class.

I trust you'll be going to mass to celebrate the feast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Down with this German festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Trampas wrote: »

You seriously care about something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

happy St Stephen's day to all at Tesco

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This may not be a big deal but its funny how sensitive we are about our UK cousins. Its kinda culturally ingrained in us or something. For instance I sell clothing and sometimes one particular brand comes with a union jack label sewn on. That little label actually hurts the sales of the item. Any time Ive heard someone from the UK refer to it as 'the mainland' it goes down like a lead balloon. So the op has a point. Stuff like this bothers some people here, and even though it might be inexplicable, a little bit of sensitivity to that might not go astray. Like the way ya dont go mentioning the war or depilatory products to the germans. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Wren's Day has been sullied for me. I'll never shop there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

why can't people just hang out at home with family etc on Stephens Day like we all used to before? Don't think there is any need for a shop to be open on Stephens Day if planned right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I say Boxing Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some people really do go out of their way to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

And Xmas, to make it complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Some people really do go out of their way to be offended.

Yup, pretty pathetic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Oryx wrote: »
    This may not be a big deal but its funny how sensitive we are about our UK cousins. Its kinda culturally ingrained in us or something. For instance I sell clothing and sometimes one particular brand comes with a union jack label sewn on. That little label actually hurts the sales of the item. Any time Ive heard someone from the UK refer to it as 'the mainland' it goes down like a lead balloon. So the op has a point. Stuff like this bothers some people here, and even though it might be inexplicable, a little bit of sensitivity to that might not go astray. Like the way ya dont go mentioning the war or depilatory products to the germans. ;)

I have to hold my hand up to this. I've liked the look of several pairs of Karrimor boots over the years but never buy them because of the union jack logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dunnes is closed on Stephen's Day
    Tesco is open on boxing day.
    Everyone's a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The signs say St. Stephen's day in my local Tesco, that shop must have put up the wrong sign. Anyway, I'd suffer hunger pangs before I'd go shopping on St. Stephen's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The opening poster makes a very valid point - there is nothing pathetic or to be dismissed about this matter.

In contrast, it is pretty pathetic to feel the need to dismiss this matter or to brush it off as 'we're bigger than that'. I find such an attitude troubling and would indicate a lack of national or cultural self-confidence among some people here.

Tesco are, as we all know, a large, successful and highly profitable organisation that purposefully branded themselves 'Tesco Ireland' when entering the Irish market. They are well aware how important it is in marketing terms to 'think global, act local' when in Rome and all of that.

The 26th December is commonly known as St. Stephen's Day in this country, it is an oversight of Tesco to not account for this - if they haven't - and I am sure the company's managing directors would also see thing as an oversight and mistake on their behalf. They are in the business of making money, not culturally colonising countries.

Yes, it may not be the end of the World and yes there are more important thinsg to be concerned about, but don't be ashamed to assert our national and cultural identity - it took many years and many lost lives to have the freedom to do so, don't take that for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can we call it freedom day then? Appropriately enough it's the 26th!!!
    (There isn't a 32nd)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

To sum up and give some perspective- we have had one reported case of a sign saying 'Boxing Day' and one reported sign saying 'St. Stephens Day'. Hardly a national outrage?

Maybe the store used, or were given, the wrong sign? OP- did you pop in and notify them of their error?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

From now on the IMF will decide what it's called.

snow ghost wrote: »
    The opening poster makes a very valid point - there is nothing pathetic or to be dismissed about this matter.

In contrast, it is pretty pathetic to feel the need to dismiss this matter or to brush it off as 'we're bigger than that'. I find such an attitude troubling and would indicate a lack of national or cultural self-confidence among some people here.

Tesco are, as we all know, a large, successful and highly profitable organisation that purposefully branded themselves 'Tesco Ireland' when entering the Irish market. They are well aware how important it is in marketing terms to 'think global, act local' when in Rome and all of that.

The 26th December is commonly known as St. Stephen's Day in this country, it is an oversight of Tesco to not account for this - if they haven't - and I am sure the company's managing directors would also see thing as an oversight and mistake on their behalf. They are in the business of making money, not culturally colonising countries.

Yes, it may not be the end of the World and yes there are more important thinsg to be concerned about, but don't be ashamed to assert our national and cultural identity - it took many years and many lost lives to have the freedom to do so, don't take that for granted.

You say that, but all I hear is "WAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

snow ghost wrote: »

No one died for the name St Stephens Day, get a grip. Most of Europe uses the name, in Ireland Wrens Day should be used really.

St Stephen probably did. Think he would have died anyway mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

St Stephen probably did. Think he would have died anyway mind you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Stephen

Why did'nt St. stephen go Shopping in Tesco on Boxing Day?
    Because he was Stoned :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

You say that, but all I hear is "WAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

I typed it and what you can hear is of no interest to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement