Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco christmas hours and 26th is down as Boxing Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

mike65 wrote: »
    No one died for the name St Stephens Day, get a grip. Most of Europe uses the name, in Ireland Wrens Day should be used really.

"get a grip" on what exactly?

I made a balanced post highlighting that a multinational like Tesco probably wouldn't themselves - in marketing terms - want to ignore a country's name for certain days. If you are unable to understand that then perhaps you should take your own advice to 'get a grip'.

Most of Europe uses 'Boxing Day'? I somehow doubt that very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

snow ghost wrote: »

I made a balanced post highlighting that a multinational like Tesco probably wouldn't themselves - in marketing terms - want to ignore a country's name for certain days. If you are unable to understand that then perhaps you should take your own advice to 'get a grip'.

What is nationaly or culturaly significant about St. Stephess day in Ireland?

It is certanly not celabrated as a saints day by the vast majority.
    The Wern tradition is a pagan one. Everyone is aware when Boxing Day is.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Next year all supermarkets will have it as Zweiter Weihnachtsfeiertag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most of Europe uses St Stephens Day is what I said, ie its not special to Ireland and 800 years bla-de-da.

Twin-go wrote: »
    What is nationaly or culturaly significant about St. Stephess day in Ireland?

It is certanly not celabrated as a saints day by the vast majority.
    The Wern tradition is a pagan one. Everyone is aware when Boxing Day is.
    Get over it.

'Get over it' Get over what exactly?

I'm not going to educate you on St Stephen's Day in Ireland nor the national or cultural traditions surrounding it. Perhaps you should take a visit to the Museum of Country Life.

This is a thread about Tesco and how they refered to the said day and I have commented on that topic.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Most of Europe uses St Stephens Day is what I said, ie its not special to Ireland and 800 years bla-de-da.

Fair enough if that is what you meant.

Nobody said it was special to Ireland or anything about 800 years so I don't see what point you are making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

'Get over it' Get over what exactly?

I'm not going to educate you on St Stephen's Day in Ireland nor the national or cultural traditions surrounding it. Perhaps you should take a visit to the Museum of Country Life.

This is a thread about Tesco and how they refered to the said day and I have commented on that topic.

It's a National Holiday. The only cultural significance is the Wren day aspect of it (Which is a Celtic Tradition). The vast majority of people don't care what people/business call it.

Twin-go wrote: »
    The only cultural significance is the Wren day aspect of it (Which is a Celtic Tradition). The vast majority of people don't care what people/business call it.

Your own personal opinion and not based on fact nor qualified research.

So considering that what is your point exactly?

As I stated earlier Tesco are a large multinational well able to understand the importance of adapting their marketing communications to local customs and culture. For example, they branded themselves as 'Tesco Ireland' in this state.

If this isn't a one off sign, as it may well be, then calling what is commonly known as St Stephen's Day by what it is called in Britain Boxing Day is a marketing oversight on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

slimjimmc wrote: »
    So, you'll be encouraging Tesco to stop advertising their Irish prices on TV then; that should make a good saving on advertising costs.
    :confused: dunno where you came up with this. If you follow my logic I would say tesco should advertise both sterling and Irish prices in their ads, if the ad is likely to be viewed in both countries, it could primarily promote the UK price if on UK TV with a smaller indication of euro pricing. I see quite a few TV ads with just sterling prices and think to myself that its a missed opportunity.

Of course you will get a minority of ignorant whingers who can't grasp baisc economics and think prices should be identical to todays currency rate, but I think/hope the majority are not that stupid and would not be upset by dual pricing in ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Consumer Issue. I'd move it to After Hours, except for the fact that it would probably descend quite quickly.

Thread closed

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement