Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader or Partnership?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

When starting a business with my wife, should we register as a Partnership or Sole Trader?

We'd prefer that each of us would maintain on-going records with Revenue for Stamp 4 considerations.
    I don't want her out of the tax system which might impair later citizenship application.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

jman0war wrote: »
    When starting a business with my wife, should we register as a Partnership or Sole Trader?

We'd prefer that each of us would maintain on-going records with Revenue for Stamp 4 considerations.
    I don't want her out of the tax system which might impair later citizenship application.

You have to be very careful with partnerships as every person in partnership is responsible for all the debts of all members.

You can employ people as Sole Trader, so if you want you can just put your wife on the payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

You have to be very careful with partnerships as every person in partnership is responsible for all the debts of all members.

You can employ people as Sole Trader, so if you want you can just put your wife on the payroll.
    Wouldn't that entail loads more bureaucracy?
    I'm trying to keep things simple.
    There will be no debt as we won't be accessing credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

jman0war wrote: »
    Wouldn't that entail loads more bureaucracy?

Not really. Having your wife as an employee increases paperwork for you but reduces it for her. Should fairly balance out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

The employment of one spouse by the other is not an insurable employment. So the "employee" will not be paying PRSI, and will break his or her contribution record.

Partnership means that they will both make self-employed contributions - and is, for that reason, much the better option.

Advertisement