Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop Eircom for O2 mobile BB

• 15-12-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭

Eirom package is costing me €50/month which is almost always broadband usage (rarely use the landline). 3mb broadband but in reality I get 100kb/sec download and upload is worse.

Had an O2 mobile trial and got speeds of 2.7mb download and 1.6 upload (via speedtest.net). Pages were faster and overall much faster in general. All for €20/month. 15Gig download limit but can't check my eircom usage as there is a conflict with account numbers (they are working on it).

Is this a no brainer or am I missing something?

Anyone done something similiar?

In small village in north Cork so wondering if O2 coverage was good on one day but poor overall.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You need to trial for a week to be sure ...before you jump. Then make sure you dont tell the neighbours or the mobile BB will assuredly go to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this a no brainer or am I missing something?

eircom DSL is broadband, O2 mobile is not. That's a serious difference.

The speed you get today is not necessarily the speed you get tomorrow, or even in an hours time. Congestion on mobile networks is a serious problem. Ping is a killer for gaming and often for VOIP and video chat. Charges for over cap usage are extremely high. The cap is strictly enforced.

Mobile Internet is for mobile use, not as an alternative to fixed line broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

jor el wrote: »
    eircom DSL is broadband, O2 mobile is not. That's a serious difference.

The speed you get today is not necessarily the speed you get tomorrow, or even in an hours time. Congestion on mobile networks is a serious problem. Ping is a killer for gaming and often for VOIP and video chat. Charges for over cap usage are extremely high. The cap is strictly enforced.

Mobile Internet is for mobile use, not as an alternative to fixed line broadband.

Thanks for this detailed but simple explanation.
    Precisly the info I was looking to get before/if I deciede to change. Won't be doing gaming or doing VOIP. Just general browsing/emails/shopping. When it was fast, it was brilliant, but then slow othertimes (now I know why).

May have to stick with slow dependable BB for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It's sh*t. I'm stuck using it, it works, it doesn't work, it works...........:(:( and this is at night, forget about it during the day. It use to be OK but:mad:

Trial it anyway as spongy said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

15Gig download limit but can't check my eircom usage as there is a conflict with account numbers (they are working on it).

Eircom have come back with the usage issue, aapparently that couldn't see my router as the username and password was for another provider (perlico). So set the username to eircom and the password to broadband1. And all is well. I have a download limit of 10Gig which I will monitor of a month.

I can't see me moving for the time being, slow but dependable eircom will have to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement