Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grape vine

Options
  • 15-12-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

I'd like to start a grape vine in the tunnel. I have a large pot (18 inches wide and deep). Any suggestions on how to make up a good planting mixture?
    Ideally I'd like a green seedless dessert grape. Any recommendations?
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

No answers for you redser but here's some random info.

We have a vine back at home which was planted outside and trained to grow in the greenhouse. Apparently it's better to plant outside and grow it inside. No idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I've never grown grapes but I have seen them in friends greenhouses and I am always suprised at how much they yield, It looks very impressive and apparently they taste good.

As far as I know they are not that picky with soils but they don't like to be over fed, waterlogged or bone dry.

Also, they have a number of ways to prune for best yield but I don't know them well enough to say.

I think as well they have quite stong tendrils so I would say to make sure they have good wire to grow on so they don't go after your polytunnel.

It will be great to see how you get on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

We get a huge crop every year and they taste great. No idea on the variety at this stage, although they are black grapes too. Lovely and sweet and juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Great, thanks a lot.
    Local nursery has a black grape she swears will do well in a pot in the tunnel. Says February will be time enough to start it off so I'll give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

redser7 wrote: »
    Great, thanks a lot.
    Local nursery has a black grape she swears will do well in a pot in the tunnel. Says February will be time enough to start it off so I'll give it a go.

I've a book somewhere, I'm not at home at the moment but will be tomorrow, like said about it also advises to plant the vine outdoors and train it to come inside. It COULD be a specific polytunnel book but I can't say that 100% until I find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks. I've read that. It helps with watering and their roots are kept cool apparently.
    But I've also read that pot grown can be very successful too as you can move them around to suit certain conditions (light, heat, humidity levels etc). I'll think anon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nathalie lighting

You need to pay attention to insects,

Grape is easy to be damaged by insects. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Vines require a well drained soil and should be planted outside for best results. Stick the plant in a bucket of gravel outside and train it inside, this is the way many are grown in glasshouses/conservatories.

Advertisement