Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDF recruitment 2012 ?

• 15-12-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if there will be a new recruitment campaign for the PDF in 2012? the reason I ask is that I dont have a panel number as I was unable to try out last time. Would love to try out for it. I hear rumors of recruitment for 2012 anyone in the PDF hear anything ? and is it still mandatory to serve overseas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

A.G.S wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know if there will be a new recruitment campaign for the PDF in 2012? the reason I ask is that I dont have a panel number as I was unable to try out last time. Would love to try out for it. I hear rumours of recruitment for 2012 anyone in the PDF hear anything ?

The current recruit panel expires on the 1st of January. From what I've heard they may be planning on extended that deadline by 6 months because of the cost of running another recruit competition, which would make a competition unlikely.

If there was a recruitment competition in 2012 it would most likely be in September-October, judging by previous intakes.

If there is another competition then you can expect at least 2,000 applicants per brigade, with only 40 or so spaces. So competition will be very, very strong.
    A.G.S wrote: »
    and is it still mandatory to serve overseas?

Yes. Oversea's duty is a very important aspect of being in the DF. If you do not want to serve overseas don't bother applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

amurph0 wrote: »
    The current recruit panel expires on the 1st of January. From what I've heard they may be planning on extended that deadline by 6 months because of the cost of running another recruit competition, which would make a competition unlikely.

So does that mean people on the this years panel would be called up again?? Has this been done before or is this all speculation?

Recruitment sticky????

BigDuffman wrote: »

So does that mean people on the this years panel would be called up again?? Has this been done before or is this all speculation?

Recruitment sticky????

Like i said, its only something i heard. The fella in the manpower office told me that this is something that "might" happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Glimmer of hope for people on the panel from last time! It would also make sense financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Any idea's and what the situation might with cadetship recruitment in 2012? I don't mean will they recruit, I mean how many cadetship places will be up for grabs in each branch? Keeping in mind the situation with the proposed 2012 reorg.

• Advertisement

Any idea's and what the situation might with cadetship recruitment in 2012? I don't mean will they recruit, I mean how many cadetship places will be up for grabs in each branch? Keeping in mind the situation with the proposed 2012 reorg.

Judging by the fact that the DF has taken on a Cadet class every single year since the moratorium was implemented I'd say it's likely that they will take on a class.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the new re-org will keep mostly the same number of officers within the organisation, so I assume it won't have that much of an effect on the size of the classes being taken on.

Plus, from my understanding of the syllabus they must have at least a platoon sized class for training purposes.

Also, the Defence Forces was officially exempted from the public recruitment moratorium earlier in the year. But the reason that they are currently not taking applications is because they currently have a huge backlog of candidates on the panel already.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1107/1224307168306.html
    The Irish Times understands Mr Shatter has secured an exemption from the moratorium by arguing if numbers fell any lower, the Defence Forces would not be able to meet overseas peacekeeping duties and domestic obligations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Judging by the fact that the DF has taken on a Cadet class every single year since the moratorium was implemented I'd say it's likely that they will take on a class.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the new re-org will keep mostly the same number of officers within the organisation, so I assume it won't have that much of an effect on the size of the classes being taken on.

Plus, from my understanding of the syllabus they must have at least a platoon sized class for training purposes.

Unlikely top be a platoon sized class. Realistically, your looking 20 places if current trends are anything to go by, and maybe,10 naval service. There will be a reduction in appointments during this reorg, be it officer or nco, no later what anyone says

A platoon sized class over all. There being a full sized platoon class for the first 3 months is necessary, but not a full sized platoon class for the ARMY. The past few classes have had 21 or so ARMY cadets in them. What I'm wondering is, will the re-org mean a full platoon of ARMY cadets being taken in, plus the aircorps and naval service cadets on top of that, or will it be another platoon split up between the 3 branches again like usual?

Some people have suggested that the officer numbers in the army will be cut hugely with the re-org, and others have suggested the opposite, and some have suggested it will stay the same.

Does anyone know what will ACTUALLY happen?

Everything (including what i posted) is mostly speculation. The re-org was only announced by the minister recently. Plans for the re-org or what it will consist of haven't even been drawn up yet.

It is unreasonable to expect someone to actually know what is going to happen when even those at the top are still discussing it.

The ONLY thing you can do is play the waiting game and see what actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

A platoon sized class over all. There being a full sized platoon class for the first 3 months is necessary, but not a full sized platoon class for the ARMY. The past few classes have had 21 or so ARMY cadets in them. What I'm wondering is, will the re-org mean a full platoon of ARMY cadets being taken in, plus the aircorps and naval service cadets on top of that, or will it be another platoon split up between the 3 branches again like usual?

Some people have suggested that the officer numbers in the army will be cut hugely with the re-org, and others have suggested the opposite, and some have suggested it will stay the same.

The naval cadets haven't been in the curragh for the initial three months for the past two or three years now and army/aircorps have trained with numbers in the mid to low twenties and the sky hasn't fallen in. It should be pointed out that some smaller armed forces train their officer cadets in sub platoon sized classes.

Nobody knows what will happen. Cadetship competitions and their award are powers that belong to the minister of defence, who of course has to get sanction from the minister of finance.

• Advertisement

neilled wrote: »
    The naval cadets haven't been in the curragh for the initial three months for the past two or three years now and army/aircorps have trained with numbers in the mid to low twenties and the sky hasn't fallen in. It should be pointed out that some smaller armed forces train their officer cadets in sub platoon sized classes.

Nobody knows what will happen. Cadetship competitions and their award are powers that belong to the minister of defence, who of course has to get sanction from the minister of finance.

The most recently taken in class does have NS cadets with it for the first 3 months. But fair points.

Anyway, thanks for the replies lads. If anyone hears or reads of any updates on the re-org be sure to post them here. That would be much appreciated. In the mean time, I guess all we can do is keep an eye on the DoD websites press release section. Should be chatting ye all when more info arises.
    Take it handy :)

Advertisement