Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words fail me...

• 15-12-2011 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen this happen before when I worked in a petrol station.... But looking at a photo of it, just..... makes the mind boggle

GolrZ.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

One spark and no more Twilight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

brain dead bitch hopefully the next time she gets her come-uppence!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

you're a very brave photographer, or have a great zoom
    some people will never think outside their bubble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why did you have to use a picture from America? I have never seen it happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its actually not that easy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/feb/27/smoking.film/print

It is pretty stupid though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

you're a very brave photographer, or have a great zoom
    some people will never think outside their bubble
    You would want a great zoom to take a picture in America from Ireland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Darwin in action :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Reminds me of the petrol fight in Zoolander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wonder what the real chances of ignition are. I've certainly seen it done lots, and yet i've never heard of an explosion. Might it be one of those things that looks a lot more dangerous than it is?

Its actually not that easy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/feb/27/smoking.film/print

It is pretty stupid though.

Did they test how hard or easy it is to ignite petrol fumes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wonder what the real chances of ignition are. I've certainly seen it done lots, and yet i've never heard of an explosion. Might it be one of those things that looks a lot more dangerous than it is?

From keithclancy's link:
    "On the face of it it's a pretty simple problem," said Richard Tontarski, an expert in forensic fire at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms research laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland. Cigarettes burn at around 700C (1,292F) and the ignition temperature of petrol is 246C. "But it just isn't that simple," he said.
    He began looking into the problem because arson suspects frequently claim a petrol fire was started by accident. "The person claims, 'I accidentally threw gasoline on my girlfriend, she was smoking and she burst into flames'," he said.
    To find out whether this was possible, he and colleagues experimented. They dropped burning cigarettes into trays of petrol. They sprayed a fine mist of petrol at a lighted cigarette. They even used a vacuum device to produce the higher temperature (900-950C) of a cigarette being sucked. In more than 2,000 attempts the petrol did not ignite.
    Dr Tontarski can only speculate why. The layer of ash on the tobacco, perhaps, or the petrol vapour convected away from the hottest part of the cigarette.
    So is he in touch with Hollywood to demand it drops the explosive movie cliche? "Actually they are pretty well aware of it. They don't care."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its pretty difficult as Cigarettes aren't a Naked flame even though they can burn much hotter than one at their core.

There was a mythbusters episode on it as well :)
    Also i've tried it myself, the Die Hard style flick and run doesn't work :D

Electrostatic Discharge is more likely to ignite Petrol Vapour:

If your filling a metal Jerry Can make sure the nozzle is touching the lip :)

And check out this video from 1948:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I managed to miss keithclancy's post altogether when writing mine. I wonder is it statistically safer than, say, 60km/h in a residential area? Or driving after a few pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

this happens here all the time. i am surprised we haven't seen someone hurt because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yer one looks like the nutter from Teen Mom, not that I watch that sort of thang.

Advertisement