Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a TV

Options
  • 15-12-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,
    Don’t worry I am not going to ask about brands as I am sure there are a million different opinions (though any tips welcomed gladly!!)!

I was just wondering where in Galway may be a good place to buy a new TV.

Also, am I mad to get one pre Christmas or do the electric shops have good New Year sales?
    Thanks a mill.
    :)
    Ps. one last question…Has anyone bought anything from the pre loved appliances place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I'd say your best bet is decide on what tv you want (brand, size, features), then ring around (or go online) and go with the best value - these would be the usuals I expect:

Currys in Terryland
    DID in Briarhill
    Argos in Terryland

...there is also Cunniffe Electrical in Terryland, tho I've never bought anything beyond kettle's and toasters in there :)

Hope that helps,
    lamps

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Thanks!

Sure does as help as I can at least begin the google, calling, browsing process!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I got one during the week in Peter Murphys in Westside, having looked in Currys and Argos.

lampsie wrote: »
    ...there is also Cunniffe Electrical in Terryland, tho I've never bought anything beyond kettle's and toasters in there :)
    There is another bigger Cunniffe's on the Tuam road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start on adverts.ie if you don't mind second hand stuff.
    www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_tv/county-Galway/sortby_best_match-desc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Have to put in a good word for Cunniffes too.Found myself in urgent need of a fridge this week, rang them after looking at prices on DID and Currys and they offered me the fridge cheaper than anywhere else,took payment over the phone so I didn't need to go out and gave me free delivery next day.

I prefer buy from a local business if the price is right. Beware Curries are notorious for poor after sales service. DID are easier to deal with for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sales start in 2 weeks, you are mad to buy now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Have to put in a good word for Cunniffes too.Found myself in urgent need of a fridge this week
    Urgent? Could have just left your food out the back, it's probably colder than in a fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Urgent? Could have just left your food out the back, it's probably colder than in a fridge!

It was in the boot of the car, which also wont start, for the last few days. Then we got a hamper and had too much that would go off if it wasnt refridgerated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dont go to currys - I was willing to spend 5,000 grand there one day, and I came to a certain applicance that I wanted. they did not have it but had one in a different colour for twenty euro more. I asked them could i have the d20 euro off if I took it, and the said no. needless to say I walked out with my 5,000 intact. Went to another place who took 35 off and also offered me a protective covering for nothing.

curry's idiotic way of doing business don't do them any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Make sure you check prices pre xmas before the sales as a lot of the big chains such as Currys will be no cheaper, even though they will claim a large sales discount due to a high price being shown on goods in a shop in the middle of nowhere. Currys after sales is terrible as well.Could not careless once they have your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I was willing to spend 5,000 grand there one day
    I don't sell TV's, but if you are willing to hand over five million, I'm your man. For that sort of money I'll even *get one past security in CES 2012, home on the plane, fit it in your living room and put on the kettle.
    and and...I'll give you €20 off, but only because it's you and I'm in a good mood. If it was anyone else, they wouldn't get it.

Deal?

* I do not endorse theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Cunniffe Electrical aftersale service is top class or try LTV in Gort,great artersales and ask Martin and he will match price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Cunniffe electric , I would also reccomend

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

DID electric, will match any price from elsewhere, even if that price was one that was just floating around in your head !!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

DID electric, will match any price from elsewhere, even if that price was one that was just floating around in your head !!!!! ;)
    Well, they were €20 dearer than Cunniffes when I was buying my tv and wouldn't budge on their price. On top of that I found their staff ignorant to deal with and not very knowledgeable on their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Thanks a mill for all of those.

I will deffo check out Cunniffe's; it is great to see a local store getting such support. I think the sales timing may be an aspect but I think I will go in next week and ask when the sales start and see if we can work out a pre Christmas deal. They may like a pre Christmas cash sale; you never know! No harm in asking I guess.

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MR Brown

Went today to Curry's in Terryland to buy a new TV, looking at a 37 to 42 inch, more than likely a 42 inch LED TV.

Got a sales rep who stepped through the difference between a LCD, Plasma and LED TV. We told him we were probable looking at a 42 inch LG or Samsung, but he was only interested in selling a Sony Smart TV.

In the middle of the discussion my recently turned daughter of three who has just been potty trained turned around to us and said Mammy I need a wee wee.

Needless to say I thought Oh no. So I asked the sales rep where were the customer toilets to which he replied that there were no toilets and that I had to go to either Woodies or Mc Donalds.

Any parent who has had a toddler recently potty trained will understand that going half way across a shopping center is not practical.

So I tried again, and asked is there any chance that she could use the staff toilets to which he replied " THAT HE DIDN'T USE THEM AND DIDN'T KNOW WHERE THEY WHERE".

I mean what does this fellow think, that I came down in the last shower and arrived in a big yellow banana boat.

Needless to say I left with my three year old and headed to Woodies who where more than helpful with my €799 odd in my back pocket.

As your one in the Pretty Woman film.....BIG MISTAKE!!

BUY BUY COMMISSION;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

MR Brown wrote: »
    Went today to Curry's in Terryland to buy a new TV, looking at a 37 to 42 inch, more than likely a 42 inch LED TV.

Got a sales rep who stepped through the difference between a LCD, Plasma and LED TV. We told him we were probable looking at a 42 inch LG or Samsung, but he was only interested in selling a Sony Smart TV.

In the middle of the discussion my recently turned daughter of three who has just been potty trained turned around to us and said Mammy I need a wee wee.

Needless to say I thought Oh no. So I asked the sales rep where were the customer toilets to which he replied that there were no toilets and that I had to go to either Woodies or Mc Donalds.

Any parent who has had a toddler recently potty trained will understand that going half way across a shopping center is not practical.

So I tried again, and asked is there any chance that she could use the staff toilets to which he replied " THAT HE DIDN'T USE THEM AND DIDN'T KNOW WHERE THEY WHERE".

I mean what does this fellow think, that I came down in the last shower and arrived in a big yellow banana boat.

Needless to say I left with my three year old and headed to Woodies who where more than helpful with my €799 odd in my back pocket.

As your one in the Pretty Woman film.....BIG MISTAKE!!

BUY BUY COMMISSION;)
    If their policy is not letting people use the STAFF toilets then thats their policy, hes not obliged to break it. Plus there are health and safety/insurance issues involved in having customers off the sales floor in areas which are less 'customer friendly'. Dont see why you got so anal about it really. Also if she made it to Woodies then logically she could have made McDonalds just as easily especially if you had stopped the convo at 'there are no toilets'. And to top it why would an electric retailer have toilets anyway?? If i was the sales advisor id happily have watched you walk out the door along with your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see an issue here. The shop didn't have a customer toilet and you left for another shop.

This has nothing to do with the original thread so I'm closing this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement