Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Redwater

• 15-12-2011 11:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I am hearing there is a lot of redwater about(west of ireland). What are your preferred treatments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

restive wrote: »
    I am hearing there is a lot of redwater about(west of ireland). What are your preferred treatments?

Redwater in winter? We have never had it in these parts at this time of year.
    Best treatment is Imizol which is POM from your Vet. Also give lots of treacle and salt. If a lot of blood is lost, then the animal may need a transfusion.

There are plenty of preventative things out there that people use:

- wash underbellies of cattle to kill ticks
    - pour ons for treatment of ticks. (Bayticol)
    - build up an immunity by keeping your own replacements and not buying in cattle.
    - rejouvenate your old pastures, reseed etc - ticks are more commonly found in old pasture.
    - Drain your land.

Hope that helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

reilig wrote: »

Redwater in winter? We have never had it in these parts at this time of year.
    Best treatment is Imizol which is POM from your Vet. Also give lots of treacle and salt. If a lot of blood is lost, then the animal may need a transfusion.

There are plenty of preventative things out there that people use:

- wash underbellies of cattle to kill ticks
    - pour ons for treatment of ticks. (Bayticol)
    - build up an immunity by keeping your own replacements and not buying in cattle.
    - rejouvenate your old pastures, reseed etc - ticks are more commonly found in old pasture.
    - Drain your land.

Hope that helps

I know one guy around athlone who had a heifer with it and another from sligo who lost a two year old bullock with it n the last week. i will b using bayticol this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

are you sure its redwater - seems unlikely at this time of the year
    i would of thought it was a kidney infection instead

flatout11 wrote: »

are you sure its redwater - seems unlikely at this time of the year
    i would of thought it was a kidney infection instead

They had the vet and he confirmed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

bayticol......... is the job!!!!!! works very well i find! expensive though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Father in law lost a cow 6 weeks ago, vet down twice got loads of fluids, never went down with it, got plenty treacle and brown sugar, and whatever remedies the vet left him, still no good and he noticed her very early as she had white legs, redwater can be hard overcome
    We find up our way it can normally show up on bought in stock, the home reared stoc seem to have an immunity from the localised ticks,
    We always found that animals bought from more favourable land and ground conditions were particularily susceptible
    I always vac each animal bought in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I know one guy around athlone who had a heifer with it and another from sligo who lost a two year old bullock with it n the last week. i will b using bayticol this weekend.

Same as above. It's not something I associate with this time of the year.
    What I wanted to say though was you aren't confined to just using Bayticol.There are several pour on treatments that will do the same job.

Is it safe to assume that these cattle are out wintered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

any pour on that will deter the tick from biting will help im told.

i get the vaccine imizol from the vet and advise the neighbours the same if they buy in an animal from outside the area, its a small cost for piece of mind.

i lost a springer in 09, she got redwater previous summer and i gave her all the treatment but she never really recovered from it

Bizzum wrote: »

Same as above. It's not something I associate with this time of the year.
    What I wanted to say though was you aren't confined to just using Bayticol.There are several pour on treatments that will do the same job.

Is it safe to assume that these cattle are out wintered?

Yes the cattle are outwintered.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

hi,

what else works other than bayticol?

• Advertisement
Advertisement