Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Paypal payment option for an e-commerce site?

Options
  • 15-12-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

My friend has a small website that she uses to sell a specific product.

She uses Paypal to receive payments, but she mentioned that quite a few people email her saying that the don't have Paypal and they don't want to use it.

In relation to her own site, could anyone recommend a reputable third party payment option/company that she could use by having a 'Buy Now' button on the site and have the users just entering credit card information.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 _underscore

If your customers don't want to use Paypal or any other third party sites that require registration you'll probably have to go with something like SagePay or Realex.

I think both of those sites have a service where they act as a gateway like Paypal. This means all data is inputted straight into their site in a secure fashion.

This means very little work for your site with respect to security etc. The main concerns you will have is the CMS/Commerce suite you are using and getting a plugin to implement these payment providers.

I remember researching the two sites above and the rates aren't too bad for small businesses.

Also note: I think paypal have a number of ways of implementing payment processing for customers.

Can you post a link to your site and i'll see if there's another way with Paypal?

UPDATE:

Looks like your friend has the "express checkout" where a PayPal account is required. You should look at the "Website payments standards" product which doesn't require an account. I think that's the one lynchie is referring to.

More info here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

You can use credit cards with paypal without having a paypal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Many thanks - I had a look at a few sagepay type options, but they all require a monthly sub - the volume of business my friend is doing wouldn't even warrant that.

I'll tell her to check out the PayPal option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Have you looked at 2checkout.com or clickbank.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Amazon Payments and Google Checkout are two more options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

As lynchie said you dont need to sign up to paypal to pay by credit card,

She just needs to inform the customer before they make payment to click the link saying " I don't have a paypal account" or something to that effect. It's on the same screen they would use to check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nochexman

My friend has a small website that she uses to sell a specific product.

She uses Paypal to receive payments, but she mentioned that quite a few people email her saying that the don't have Paypal and they don't want to use it.

In relation to her own site, could anyone recommend a reputable third party payment option/company that she could use by having a 'Buy Now' button on the site and have the users just entering credit card information.

Thanks.

Many thanks - I had a look at a few sagepay type options, but they all require a monthly sub - the volume of business my friend is doing wouldn't even warrant that. I'll tell her to check out the PayPal option.

Hi DublinWriter.

If your friend does not already have a business bank account then she would need an all-in-one merchant account + payment gateway package. The three main providers are PayPal, Worldpay and Nochex. If she does not want to pay a monthly subscription then the only remaining option is Nochex. If she is based in Ireland, however, she will need a bank account that is on the UK BACs system.

Hope this is of help to you and your friend!

Seasons greetings,
    - Peter (I work for Nochex)

Advertisement