Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All year round herbs

Options
  • 15-12-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what herbs one can grow year round on a kitchen windowsill in Ireland during the winter months. I have some parsely that id taken in and see new shoots on it already, any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Parsley can be grown all year once the winter isn't too harsh. Flat leaf Parsley is a little more tricky to overwinter. Sage, thyme and Rosemary will survive indoors during Winter. The problem with windowsill is that the plant on a really cold night can catch a nip of frost then the damage is increased when the windowsill quickly heats up during the day. Just take the plants off the windowsill on very cold nights. Basil and coriander in my experience are unsuitable for over wintering on the windowsill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nathalie lighting

biennial or perennial herb??
    cabbage and Brassica oleracea var.botrytis is nice ~

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Nathalie, are you on drugs? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I grow Rosemary and Sage and both survived last winters snow no problem.

Advertisement