Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory Donnelly

• 15-12-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

19 year old Cliftonville stiker who has been banging them in up north and has a whole host of English Premier League and Championship clubs fighting to get him! Swansea and Everton have both had bids accepted for the lad in the last day or two and Cliftonville are expecting a few more bids from others in the coming days!

Judging only on a few articles I've read this morning, this kid could be top class. Anyone know much about him? Especially, does anyone know if he has intentions of declaring for the Republic?

A snippet of some of his goals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15899775

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Some class goals there. Possibly looks a little light. Always hard to know if an Irish league player can make the transition to top class football.

As for declaring for the republic, one can only hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool will sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

I think he'll choose Liverpool but Everton would be a better move IMO. The step up alone will be tough, but getting into a team with Bellamy, Suarez and even Carroll ahead of him would be a huge challenge. Plus Everton are desperate for a striker and have a manager with a good track record of making lower league players into premier league standard. Still not a bad predicament to be in for 19 year old lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think he'll choose Liverpool but Everton would be a better move IMO. The step up alone will be tough, but getting into a team with Bellamy, Suarez and even Carroll ahead of him would be a huge challenge. Plus Everton are desperate for a striker and have a manager with a good track record of making lower league players into premier league standard. Still not a bad predicament to be in for 19 year old lad.

Ya Everton would be the wiser choice alright.

My work colleague who Cliftonville fan has not shut up about him all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If he is good enough he will have no problem breaking into the first-team squad. Since Kenny took over he promoted alot of reserve team players & given them a chance so I can't see this being any different

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Praetorian wrote: »
    Possibly looks a little light.

He's no small 19 year old, he's well over 6 foot and he looks quite broad, he will fill out as well. He looks pretty big beside the Irish League lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I know Cliftonville are traditionally a Nationalist club, but anyone know if you'd have Loyalists playing for them? The only reason I ask is the only way he'd be declaring for the the Republic is if he's a Nationalist, and even then there's no guarantee he would, while if he's a Loyalist, there's not a chance he'll be declaring for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He reminds me of a young Chris Sutton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I know Cliftonville are traditionally a Nationalist club, but anyone know if you'd have Loyalists playing for them? The only reason I ask is the only way he'd be declaring for the the Republic is if he's a Nationalist, and even then there's no guarantee he would, while if he's a Loyalist, there's not a chance he'll be declaring for us?

Doubtful enough that you would have Loyalists playing for C'ville afaik.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Doubtful enough that you would have Loyalists playing for C'ville afaik.

Hopefully Trap gives him a call so, as there's a decent chance he'd be interested in declaring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool will sign him.

They're the 'biggest' club in for him from what's known, but that could work against Liverpool tbh.

I'd imagine he'd go out on loan straight away if they signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

tommyhaas wrote: »

Why use "loyalist" could have used Protestant, sure Linfield have a number of Catholics in its team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest if he want's to play the best football and have a better chance of getting some game time, Swansea should be his decision.

Why use "loyalist" could have used Protestant, sure Linfield have a number of Catholics in its team.

Because its to do with national identity rather then religion. Loyalists/Unionists by their definition see themselves as British. Not all Protestants necessarily see themselves as British. I don't give a fook what his religion is, but I do care what his political persuasion only because if he's a Nationalist, there's at least a chance he'd be willing to declare for the Republic

Corholio wrote: »
    To be honest if he want's to play the best football and have a better chance of getting some game time, Swansea should be his decision.

I'd say he'd get plenty of opportunities at Everton, they're in dire need of a striker and Moyes is a Manager willing to give youth a chance. He'd also be playing for a bigger club, have a far greater chance of staying in the Premier League and the chance of challenging for European football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

all hype imo, what ever happened to the glentoran(i think) striker who signed for schalke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

No matter who the lad signs for he wouldn't be going straight into the first team. The gulf in class between the IFA league and Premiership is immense. He'll have his work cut out to slot into the reserves for most premiership teams. The speed of the game, physicality and psychological pressure will take some getting used to. If he joins Liverpool, a year in the academy/reserves then maybe a half season loan to a league 1 / champs side would be great for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I am pie wrote: »
    No matter who the lad signs for he wouldn't be going straight into the first team. The gulf in class between the IFA league and Premiership is immense. He'll have his work cut out to slot into the reserves for most premiership teams. The speed of the game, physicality and psychological pressure will take some getting used to. If he joins Liverpool, a year in the academy/reserves then maybe a half season loan to a league 1 / champs side would be great for the lad.

Moyes done this with Coleman. Sent him out to Blackpool for a season, Moyes had previously done the same with Leon Osman when he was sent on loan to Derby. Done both player the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Some great finishes in that video.

Last I heard Sunderland were inquiring about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Doocey wrote: »
    Some great finishes in that video.

Last I heard Sunderland were inquiring about him?

As has been said he wouldn't be near Premiership standard at this stage. Sure even the £10m Conor Wickham didnt make a PL start until 22 October for Sunderland and he had been tearing it up in the Championship previously.

• Advertisement

EdenHazard wrote: »
    all hype imo

Any particular reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

all hype imo, what ever happened to the glentoran(i think) striker who signed for schalke.
    Just because one player didn't make it doesn't mean another won't. Have you actually seen Donnelly play?

Plenty of former LOI players doing well in England, though admittedly the Irish League is not quite as strong.

VW 1 wrote: »
    As has been said he wouldn't be near Premiership standard at this stage. Sure even the £10m Conor Wickham didnt make a PL start until 22 October for Sunderland and he had been tearing it up in the Championship previously.

Who said Sunderland were Premier League standard? :confused:

Who said Sunderland were Premier League standard? :confused:

Judging by the fact that Sunderland are, and have been, competing in the premier league for many years, I would argue that qualifies them as premier league standard. I can't see why you would be confused by that.

Judging by the fact that Sunderland are, and have been, competing in the premier league for many years, I would argue that qualifies them as premier league standard. I can't see why you would be confused by that.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Really failing to see the point you are making with the roll eyes.

Why not try responding to the reply I gave you.

Does being in the premiership since 1999 not make a club "premiership standard"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Doocey is a Newcastle fan... He made a joke about Sunderland not being EPL standard as they are bitter rivals... I think that's what he was getting at anyway

Maybe I'm too uptight on Tuesday afternoon, but a simple one liner explaining that rather than a condescending roll eyes seems a more logical way of ironing out a misunderstanding on my part.

edit: have my viewing of sigs turned off while in work hence not knowing he is a NCFC fan

Really failing to see the point you are making with the roll eyes.

Why not try responding to the reply I gave you.

Does being in the premiership since 1999 not make a club "premiership standard"?

It was a joke mate, dunno whether you didn't get it, or opted no to - either way..

They haven't really been a Premier League team since 1999 either, been up and down like a yo-yo until recently.

Being in the Premier League since 1999 would be someone like Everton..

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Just because one player didn't make it doesn't mean another won't. Have you actually seen Donnelly play?

Plenty of former LOI players doing well in England, though admittedly the Irish League is not quite as strong.

The LOI to the irish league would be like la lig. la or the prem to the russian league. league of ireland is competive with quality players, your man whose scoring goals is doing it at a level below conference in england, league of ireland teams at their best(drogheda(2008) bohs(fenlon) rovers, cork city, pat's all in the last 5 years had quality teams and would be competitive in league one. i think the bohs team of 2008 would have a chance been a promotion chasing league one side

The LOI to the irish league would be like la lig. la or the prem to the russian league. league of ireland is competive with quality players, your man whose scoring goals is doing it at a level below conference in england, league of ireland teams at their best(drogheda(2008) bohs(fenlon) rovers, cork city, pat's all in the last 5 years had quality teams and would be competitive in league one. i think the bohs team of 2008 would have a chance been a promotion chasing league one side

You still haven't answered why you don't think Donnelly will make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

baz2009 wrote: »
    You still haven't answered why you don't think Donnelly will make it.

Think the argument is that he's coming from a weaker league.
    And yeah, I know.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And yeah, I know.

:D

because irish league isn't a good enough league to say the lad will make it in the premier league especially for liverpool, if it was him going to celtic i wouldn't say this, altho having said that conor sammon plays in the epl so anything is possible

because irish league isn't a good enough league to say the lad will make it in the premier league especially for liverpool, if it was him going to celtic i wouldn't say this, altho having said that conor sammon plays in the epl so anything is possible

Have you ever watched him play?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Doesn't matter what league he's coming from theres always a chance he won't make it.

But this kid clearly has potential. If the scouts that are paid to find good players (and its not just one club after him) can see this potential I'll trust them before I trust you!

when you put it like that ha your right

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

who are the catholics in the linfield team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Couple lovely goals, hard to tell this soon into his career how good he'll be though. I surely wouldn't be urging Trap to give him a call though, without doubt the FAI should be keeping tabs on him and maybe bringing him into an u19 or u21 set up first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

He should move to Swansea. The manager is from Northern Ireland, they play very good football for the level they are at, could give him a chance to get chances to score goals and will improve his game. 3-4 years at Swansea and then look to move up to a higher level.

• Advertisement

Looks like Swansea have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

nordydan wrote: »

From the link
    while the international intentions of former Cliftonville forward Donnelly are unclear.
    "He hasn't ruled anything out in the future and certainly hasn't closed the door on playing for Northern Ireland," said Donnelly's agent Gerry Carlisle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The way things are going for Northern Ireland,the Linfield team will have to throw on the green jersey one of these days to represent them.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So seems Rory is waiting to see if he can get called up by us and if not he'll go Northern Ireland. 21 now has he played at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What is it with Rorys and declaring!?!??!

Advertisement