Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever had the mart sell your cattle for you?

• 15-12-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi all

I've cattle to go next week and due to work I can't make the mart on Tuesday ( Athenry). I heard before that the mart offer to sell them on your behalf. I am loathe to go down this route having always done it myself.

Has anyone any experience of seeing this in action?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi all

I've cattle to go next week and due to work I can't make the mart on Tuesday ( Athenry). I heard before that the mart offer to sell them on your behalf. I am loathe to go down this route having always done it myself.

You would be effectively be selling them subject. What if you don't like the price. Would you give them a minimum price for you?

Might be money in your pocket to give €20 to a family member or to another local farmer to sell for you. Cattle sold subject to your approval often make less than those where the seller is by the auctioneer's side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Never heard of this. Would they not be more in favour of the dealer?

It's a tricky situation to be in. I know you said you can't, be if it was at all possible to take a few hours off, I would.

Failing that your back to getting a lad to haul and sell them for you or trying to find a mart that sells on a saturday, and they are few and far between for store cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Never heard of this. Would they not be more in favour of the dealer?

It's a tricky situation to be in. I know you said you can't, be if it was at all possible to take a few hours off, I would.

Failing that your back to getting a lad to haul and sell them for you or trying to find a mart that sells on a saturday, and they are few and far between for store cattle.

Loughrea sells stores on a saturday. Its not too far away from athenry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Who is bringing them to the mart for you? Could they not sell them? Nothing to it these days anyway. They nearly sell themselves.

Funnily enough I was at the mart recently where the bullock being sold was doing very well and the auctioneer without asking the seller said "on the market" only to be told in no uncertain terms by the seller that it was him and him only that would put them on the market. After about a minute of calming him down the auctioneer started again but the momentum was gone and the animal sold for a good bit less than he could have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hi all

Yeah, I've seen it a good bit in Athenry (and other places) but it usually happens that the man selling them knows the owner. They're sold subject and the mart rings the owner pretty soonish to establish if he agrees to the sale price. The prospective buyers don't take much notice of who is in the box and if they're good cattle they should fetch their price anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Thanks all for the replies, the fella who hauls them for me could sell them but I'm wary of him ( he could end up buying them himself! )

I just can't make the mart as I'm travelling with work ( the joys of part time farming! )

I think Loughrea on a Saturday sounds like an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I didn't know that Loughrea ran on a Saturday. That's good to know ;)
    Ballinasloe on a Wed is the mart we've used for years for selling. Might change though if I'm stuck like Millertime

Advertisement