Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The VGC 2012 Thread (Dates inside)

• 15-12-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Just out now are the dates for next year's VGC, and here they are thankfully we got more than two weeks notice this time:
    Here are the Pokemon Video Game National Championships European dates:

Source

UK
    Date: Saturday 3rd March

Germany
    Date: Saturday 10th March

France
    Date: Saturday 17th March

Spain
    Date: Saturday 24th March

Italy
    Date: Sunday 1st April

So how's planning on coming this time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Jaysus, it's really bloody early this year... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

This is early, thats less then nine months after the last one. I don't know if I'll be able to go this time, it's right in the middle of my college year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Wobbuffet wrote: »
    This is early, thats less then nine months after the last one. I don't know if I'll be able to go this time, it's right in the middle of my college year.
    Isn't March better than during exam time in June-July time?

Anyways, here's some rules if anyone is interested in coming:

Source: POKÉMON VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT FORMATS p12-13
    5. Standard Format Style
    All sanctioned Pokémon video game tournaments require players to assemble a team of Pokémon, with items,
    prior to the start of the event. The standard format style for all PLAY! Pokémon tournaments is Double Battle.

5.1. Double Battle
    In Double Battles, each player selects four Pokémon from his or her party of six to battle with. At the
    start of the battle, players send out the first two Pokémon in their party, making a total of four Pokémon
    on the battlefield. Game play continues until a player knocks out all four of his or her opponent’s
    Pokémon.

6. Standard Team Construction Rules
    When building a team for a PLAY! Pokémon tournament, all players must adhere to these standard construction
    rules.

A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number
    Each Pokémon on a player’s team can hold an item, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item
    A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same nickname
    A player’s team cannot contain a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon (for example,
    an Unfezant named “Pidove”)
    Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:

o By leveling up
    o By TM or HM
    o As an Egg move, through breeding
    o From a character in the game
    o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion

7. Sanctioned Format
    Pokémon Organized Play supports one format for sanctioned play: Modified. Sanctioned events are listed on the
    POP website, and the results are reported to POP after the event concludes.

7.1. Modified Format
    The Modified format is the standard tournament format for PLAY! Pokémon video game events. This
    format will be used at all premier events unless specified otherwise. The Modified format for the 2011–
    2012 season will use the following restrictions:

• Only Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Game Cards are permitted for use.
    • Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–646, that are caught in the
    • game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
    • The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:

o 150 – Mewtwo
    o 151 – Mew
    o 249 – Lugia
    o 250 – Ho‐Oh
    o 251 – Celebi
    o 382 – Kyogre
    o 383 – Groudon
    o 384 – Rayquaza
    o 385 – Jirachi
    o 386 – Deoxys
    o 483 – Dialga
    o 484 – Palkia
    o 487 – Giratina
    o 489 – Phione
    o 490 – Manaphy
    o 491 – Darkrai
    o 492 – Shaymin
    o 493 – Arceus
    o 494 – Victini
    o 643 – Reshiram
    o 644 – Zekrom
    o 646 – Kyurem

• Pokémon must be placed in the Battle Box.
    • Pokémon above level 50 are permitted, but they are auto‐leveled down to 50 for the duration of battle.
    • Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released via Pokémon
    • Black Version and Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or
    • promotion.
    • Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
    • The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.

On a side note the registration for Masters opens at 8am for 30 minutes, because obviously Play Pokémon! hates everyone ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rocket Butch

I'll go to Birmingham, I imagine. Kinda sucks that it starts so early and forces you to stay over the night before. On the other hand, the Hilton Birmingham Metropole has some good rates.

I got to the 2nd round last year. I'd probably have made the 3rd round if I hadn't bottled my Trick Room team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'd like to go but it depends how I'm fixed for money, etc.
    I presume there won't be a new game out before this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

CianRyan wrote: »

Not even announced yet, I'd say you're right.

I'd love to go, as usual. But my final year project will be ongoing, and frankly I'm not that good at my course. It'll depend on how well I work in February, I guess.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'd like to go but it depends how I'm fixed for money, etc.
    I imagine not if they're saying people compete using B/W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

New game artwork's been released! :D
    I'm on my phone now so I can't post the pic, anyone else see it?

Edit: not a competition game. :/ Could still be cool though.
    link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Definitely want to make it this year!

[MAD IDEA]Once we know how many can make it why don't we cosplay as a villainous team/Pokémon trio/chain evolution/version mascots/anime characters etc?[/MAD IDEA]

• Advertisement

I may have to attend just for the mad idea, despite not having any intentions to participate in the main event :P

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I may have to attend just for the mad idea, despite not having any intentions to participate in the main event :P
    Unless you can RNG or breed a perfect 31 IVs team, there isn't much point in playing IMO. Don't get me wrong I love a good battle, but unless your team is flawless you'll go out in round 1 (2 if you're lucky) and the battle comes down to uncontrollable things like random flinch, misses, sleep counter. :/

Unless you can RNG or breed a perfect 31 IVs team, there isn't much point in playing IMO. Don't get me wrong I love a good battle, but unless your team is flawless you'll go out in round 1 (2 if you're lucky) and the battle comes down to uncontrollable things like random flinch, misses, sleep counter. :/
    That's very pessimistic of you. My problem used to be people playing Smeargles with Dark Void, but that's banned.

Trick Room is still a good strategy. It's better than No Guard plus Dynamicpunch anyway :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Layman's question: Why're Dark Void and Sky Drop banned?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Layman's question: Why're Dark Void and Sky Drop banned?

Dark Void because it's OP; Sky Drop because it's glitchable.

January reminder time:
    Who's coming other than myself and Rocket Butch? Might just turn this year's VGC in the Great Boards.ie and *insert other Pokemon forum name here* Meet Up. Cosplay is welcome too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bump again! I'll see if I can book the weekend off work today or tomorrow

Bump my brain.
    I need to build teams, I've fallen behind myself this year :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

Just out of curiosity is there a Pokémon being given away this year?

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    Same as last year, the mysterious Pokemon "Can'tBeArsedToDoAnEventPokemon". It comes at Lv50, shiny, Pokerus, 31 IVs in all stats and 255 EVs in all stats :P

For anyone keeping track - I still have to build teams!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

SamIAmNot wrote: »

Yeah it was announced a short time ago that there will be a Shiny Larvitar with Superpower and holding a Chople Berry. Not that special as Larvitar can already learn Superpower. Still no harm in getting it. The World Championship Pokemon still hasn't said what Pokemon they will have.

If anyone wants me to get them the VGC Larvitar, send me a PM and I'll PM you my address to send your cart to, I'll collect it on the day and post it back to you shortly after the event. Or indeed if there is a meet up before then, give your cart to a competing Boards.ie :)

give your cart to a competing Boards.ie :)
    ...if there are any!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

Best of luck to everyone competing tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

And by way of reporting back, I went out first round (to a JustiKion) and Buzzthebatgirl shortly afterwards in round two. That is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Out of interest, what were your teams?

Denny M wrote: »
    Out of interest, what were your teams?
    Hastily assembled "give me weather and I will work with it" teams with added Imprison/Transform combo. Quick run down off the top of my head:

Both Teams ran the following Pokemon each:
    Smeargle; Moody @ Focus Sash: Protect/Imprison/Trick Room/Transform
    Togekiss; Serene Grace @ Leftovers: Follow Me/Airslash one with Secret Power/Grass Knot the other with Psyshock/forgot the attack :P
    Froslass; Snow Cloak @ Brightpower/Choice Scarf: Thunder/Blizzard/Weather Ball/Shadow Ball

The run down of the other Pokemon are
    Metagross forgot item (Rock Polish/Earthquake/Bullet Punch/forgot :P)
    Event Raikou @ Air Balloon (Thunder/Extreme Speed/Weather Ball/Aura Sphere)
    Scrafty forgot item (Fake Out/Ice Punch/Drain Punch/Crunch)

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf (thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Tri Attack/Trick)
    I forgot the other two - sorry

That Spanish chap who won the regional (again) disqualified for (literally!) throwing shít?!?!?!

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/UK_Video_Game_Championships_qualifier_winner_disqualified
    http://www.digitalspy.ie/odd/news/a369483/pokemon-tournament-marred-by-poo-fight.html

You're all going to kill me for this now:

070802.jpg
    070524.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's... that's certainly one way to distract the opponent..

• Advertisement

Ruben used Gunk Shot! :P

Advertisement