Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone living in Gladstone?

• 15-12-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Moving to Gladstone with my family in March on a 457 visa. Don't know much about the area other than what I find on the web. I need to get my kids into a state high school. Ayone have any knowledge of the area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

aspro1 wrote: »
    Moving to Gladstone with my family in March on a 457 visa. Don't know much about the area other than what I find on the web. I need to get my kids into a state high school. Ayone have any knowledge of the area?
    Don't really know much about the area but drove through it a few years ago and it seems like a reasonably sized town. I would imagine it has everything you'd need including schools. Are you going to work on the lng project? If so just be aware that there is a bit of opposition to 457's among aussies on projects like this so don't expect to be welcomed by everyone. Some of the guys on these projects are hardcore union members who will think you are coming over to steal their jobs. Hope it works out for you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I lived there for a few weeks when training for my current job. You might have trouble getting accommodation, it's pretty expensive and in high demand.

Not the most exciting place I've ever been to, but I imagine it's different for families.

If you like fishing or sailing, it's a great place for that.

I imagine you won't have any problem regarding getting a school for your kids. It's not like Ireland in that regard, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I was watching the news the other night. I saw a place called Mandurah a mining town that for a three bed rent was 1800 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Zambia wrote: »
    I was watching the news the other night. I saw a place called Mandurah a mining town that for a three bed rent was 1800 a week.
    I think you are mixing mandurah up with somewhere else. I live in bunbury which is about an hour from mandurah. It is not a mining town as there are no mines anywhere near it. People commute to perth everyday from mandurah as it takes under an hour on the train (its only 60kms). You can easily get a 3 bed house there for $300 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I could well be if its not a Mining town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I spent a week up there in November for work, its not a bad little town, quiet enough though, big construction boom there with the new gas terminal and the expansion in the port, it has led to a total lack of temproary accomodation, and a leap in the price of longer term stuff. There was a few of us in the crew that went up there, we ended up camping for a week a there was only 1 room available in the entire town, and that was something like $200 bucks a night. A caravan might be a serious consideration here if your gonna be in the town for a few months but less than a year, otherwise try and get a reasonable place to lease for your stay. Its a tricky one, but even the campsite was full of construction workers, so I'm pretty sure its fullish most of the year round. Definitely start trying to book something ASAP.

Advertisement