Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening ideas?

• 15-12-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any suggestions where to have a christening. I'm not big into huge christening parties but I really would like to avoid having it in the house, we haven't the room and it's too cold to chuck the cousins out into the garden and although it worked with the first lad, I really don't want to get into all that cleaning again:o. And restaurants and pubs are definitely out.

Has anyone hired a function room in a hotel or anything? Or done something a little different? It's not really appropriate to go bowling afterwards or something is it? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I know you say pubs are out but we got the use of a large lounge in a local pub on a saturday afternoon. We organised grub from a good takeaway who made lovely sambos also, the publican supplied tea FOC and the food cost us 90 euros to feed roughly 25 people.

We had a fantastic cheap day out and everybody loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

GAA club??? not a pub but does serve booze but I do know where your coming from had my lads naming ceremony and didnt want pubs at all not appropriate so we ended up taking the kids to advertureland after and adults just had to grin and bare it we had sambos and tea and it was great

or you could look at hotels see what they do but if you have a lot of kids going to take into account ways for them to be entertained too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

For our first daughter we had a party at home, too much work...
    For our second we had a party in the function room of a pub, cost too much money (600 euro!)
    For our third, we'll be going out for a meal with our parents and the babies god parents and whoever else wants to come can pay for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The reason I say pubs are out Corkie, is because there will be kids there from 8 down to 2 and I anticipate controlling them will be a bit difficult. Did you have other kids at yours? How did they get on?

Ellie, you see, I like the idea of an Adventureland type place where the kids can run around. A function room would be ideal, I might have a look at a few and see about prices.

Yikes at E600 January! :eek: For the first we had it at home too and the work was far too much. But 600 is a non runner. We'd never get away with just the grandparents and godparents. Though it would strictly be family only, so it wouldn't be too big, but would end up way to expensive for a meal I'd say.

The reason I say pubs are out Corkie, is because there will be kids there from 8 down to 2 and I anticipate controlling them will be a bit difficult. Did you have other kids at yours? How did they get on?

Ellie, you see, I like the idea of an Adventureland type place where the kids can run around. A function room would be ideal, I might have a look at a few and see about prices.

Yikes at E600 January! :eek: For the first we had it at home too and the work was far too much. But 600 is a non runner. We'd never get away with just the grandparents and godparents. Though it would strictly be family only, so it wouldn't be too big, but would end up way to expensive for a meal I'd say.

The same place is offering the same deal, plus DJ for €299 this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hannibal would you consider somewhere like fitzone or a similar play centre? Most of them have seperate function rooms where they do the food & cake for kids parties, it might be worth looking into as you said there will be kids of varying ages attending :)

Really January? Is it in Dublin?

i love the idea of fitzone Lola!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Big pot of curry, lots of salad, bread and home-made cakes and done at home for all of mine.. we've got big families so its not a runner to take them out.. there was 37 here for the last christening.. lidl is great for parties :D we don;t make the time often enough to get together so its a good excuse.. ;)

Really January? Is it in Dublin?

i love the idea of fitzone Lola!

Yeah it's in Dublin 15. If you want details I can PM you?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

We had our christening at the end of november. We had it in a pub, but because it was on a sunday we got the room upstairs in the pub. It was brilliant. My partner doesn't drink and wasn't into a big messy party or anything and it couldn't have been better. There was a fireplace in the middle which made it quite homely. I put an area for the kids with games, colouring books and crayons. They had a great time.

The room was free, the food platters where the usual, cocktail sausages, wedges etc and they where 25euro a platter. They did bout 6 people per platter. They also did sandwich platters that had all the carvery meat in them. They where so nice!!! They where only 30euro a platter and they did 10 people.

It was a great day, very happy with the place and had loads of great feedback from guests. It is in Glasnevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Has anyone got any suggestions where to have a christening.......:D
    May I suggest a church!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

January wrote: »
    Yeah it's in Dublin 15. If you want details I can PM you?

Where is that January? Im looking for somewhere for my sons christening in February. Im in mulhuddart and want somewhere in dublin 15. Had my daughters in the Bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭claire983

Have you tried your local GAA club, they usually have a Juvenile room that does not be used on a Sunday afternoon free of charge.
    Bring your own food and music wont cost much and if you want, get someone to do a few games with the kids
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

May I suggest a church!
    The sacrament carried out in most Christian churches in Ireland is referred to as baptism. Christening may or may not be part of baptism but is not a ceremony in its own right.

As a general rule, excluding OP's requirements, the christening usually refers to the drink-fuelled nonsense involving adults which has no connection with the infant being baptised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

mathepac wrote: »
    The sacrament carried out in most Christian churches in Ireland is referred to as baptism. Christening may or may not be part of baptism but is not a ceremony in its own right.

As a general rule, excluding OP's requirements, the christening usually refers to the drink-fuelled nonsense involving adults which has no connection with the infant being baptised.

Never heard that before, and honestly I would be hesitant to believe that. My husband's family (staunchly Protestant) would never call that sacrament baptism. Being from a Catholic (and American) background, I have no idea if my married family's way is generalised or not throughout the denominations in Ireland, but it is very much the way within my extended family here. The "after" party is usually called that - a party (and there's little if any drink consumed).

OP - IMO, I think anywhere that the kids can be kids and let the adults enjoy some conversations on their own is ideal. I would vote for the funland type places and if a guest doesn't like it then they don't have to attend.

Ayla wrote: »
    OP - IMO, I think anywhere that the kids can be kids and let the adults enjoy some conversations on their own is ideal. I would vote for the funland type places and if a guest doesn't like it then they don't have to attend.

Yeah, that's what we're going with too. It would be ideal if the weather was good and the children could play outside, but unless we wait for a miracle that's not going to happen :D

We're D24 January with most family D4 and D16, so there's no way we'll get them over to D15, but thanks any way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fairymonica

You can have it in Dublin Zoo :)
    not sure what or how much money your willing to spend ???? I got married there and it was a great day. if you have other kids going the room is over the museum next to the farm so the kids can run around have fun,not like in a pub. you get your own catering in so you pick the food to suit your guests, plus no clean up for you . Im going to look into it for my baby's christening :p

Advertisement