Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day Dessert Ideas

Options
  • 15-12-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

So, I am having 8 people to my house for Christmas dinner including two teenagers, I am looking for ideas for an impressive dessert that I can prepare on Christmas Eve. The kids have a chocolate addiction so it has to be really chocolatey. :D
    Made chocolate fondants last year so not into doing them again and not sure I have the nerve for them this year either, hoping to be able to enjoy a glass of vino at that stage and just plate up a dessert.

Any ideas welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

So, I am having 8 people to my house for Christmas dinner including two teenagers, I am looking for ideas for an inpressive dessert that I can prepare on Christmas Eve. The kids have a chocolate addiction so it has to be really chocolatey. :D
    Made chocolate fondants last year so not into doing them again and not sure I have the nerve for them this year either, hoping to be able to enjoy a glass of vino at that stage and just plate up a dessert.

Any ideas welcome!

How about Mississippi Mud Pie? I have a very easy and delicious recipe at home. I'll post it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

trackguy wrote: »
    How about Mississippi Mud Pie? I have a very easy and delicious recipe at home. I'll post it later.

Yep I reckon they would like the sound of that if you could post the recipe that'd be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

This is devine a Chocolate Marquise with After Eights... alot of bowls used and washing up too

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4806/chocolate-marquise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Mississippi Mud Pie was what I was going to suggest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Mississippi Mud Pie - the hardest thing about this recipe is spelling it right!

Biscuit base
    225g digestive biscuits
    60g unsalted butter
    60g chopped dark chocolate

Chocolate filling
    180g dark chocolate, chopped
    180g unsalted butter, cubed
    4 large eggs, beaten
    90g light muscovado sugar
    90g dark muscovado sugar
    180ml double cream

A 23cm diameter cake tin (springform or removable base).

For the base, melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl set over simmering water. Blitz the digestive biscuits in a food processor and mix with the melted chocolate and butter.

Mix well and transfer to your tin. Using a spoon, press into the base of the tin and about half way up the sides. Leave to chill in the fridge.

Preheat your oven to 180. For the filling, melt the chocolate with the butter over a gentle heat, as you did with the ingredients for the base. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and foamy. Whisk in the cream, followed by the cooled chocolate mixture. Pour this mixture into the cake tin.

Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until just firm. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin.

Serve at room temp with some cream/ice cream.

Recipe is from Cakes and Bakes from my Mothers Kitchen, ed. Linda Collister

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mud pie has a chocolate pastry base, let me know if you want the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Thanks all, Acoshla would love your recipe too, I will make a pastry base once I have enough time on Christmas Eve.

Lucylu I made that chocolate Marquise before, it is really, really good but some of the family don't like mint so it's a non-runner unfortunately....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Chocolate Pudding i'm making this year. :) Or Baileys Cheesecake for the adults of course. My family usually make a few different deserts to suit everyone each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cream pie

Edit: Sorry, thought this was after hours! Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

cheesecake.jpg

Ingredients for a 9-inch cheesecake:

100g/3½oz unsalted butter
    250g/8¾oz biscuits such as Digestives, Hobnobs, Oaties. Crushed.
    450g/1lb Cream cheese such as Philadelphia
    1 slug of Baileys Irish cream
    100ml/3½oz icing sugar
    200ml/10½oz double cream
    60g/2oz chocolate (dairy or plain, as you prefer)

Method:

Gently melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the crushed biscuits and mix until the butter has been absorbed. Remove from the heat.

While it's still warm, press the mixture (using the back of a spoon) into the bottom of a lined 23cm/9inch springform or flan tin. Leave to set for one hour in the fridge.

While it is chilling, grate the chocolate. Set aside in the fridge if your kitchen is warm.

In a bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.

In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is soft. Beat in the icing sugar and a shot of Baileys. Fold in the whipped cream and three-quarters of the chocolate. When the mixture is smooth, smooth it evenly onto the biscuit base.

Refridgerate and allow to set for at least two hours. If you can bear to leave it overnight, so much the better.

To serve, remove from the tin and decorate. You can either sprinkle the remaining grated chocolate over the top for a simple finish, or add some individual chocolates and flakes for a more elegant and ceremonial dressing.

Some people serve individual portions with additional cream, poured over or whipped into a peak. Personally, I don't think this is necessary as this Baileys Irish cream cheesecake is already fabulously rich.

• Advertisement
Advertisement