Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weightlifting shoes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    Anybody ever use the crossfit style shoes?
    For the people who aren't sure what they are;
    Similar shape to oly shoes, but light weight. So sacrificing some of the solidness of the base, to be less of a burden in other exercises. The heel wouldn't be as big either.
    Obviously they won't be of use to pure oly lifters. But i'm thinking they might be suitable for more general stuff (obviously good for DF too)

Here's the two I've came accross

Adidas Power Lift Training Shoe
    (Powerlift is a bit of a misnomer obviously)
    G45630_02?wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=92,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1.1,0.5,1,0

Reebok Crossfit Oly Lifter
    cfm2b_08c_rccrfr_1.jpg

Don't get it at all.

Want a shoe to lift in? Buy a lifting shoe. Simples.

Unles you're doing box jumps or plyos or something similar you can just keep the oly shoe on for the rest of the workout. If its that big of a deal just change shoes mid workout to something more comfortable.

...instead of dropping a load of cash on a pair of shoes that basically aren't good at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the Adidas are aimed at beginners to get used to the lift in the heel. But CFers have adopted them.

The reeboks were designed to be proper ply shoes, but from light materials. Carbon fibre type stuff. For the reasons you mentioned, a time based WOD that combines lifting with jumps, pull/muscle ups or running.

I think the Adidas are aimed at beginners to get used to the lift in the heel. But CFers have adopted them.

If true, that's BS. They're a pair of bloody shoes. You don't need to "learn" them. Wow. Everyone's so obsessed with how complicated and superawesome the most mundane things are. I really hope it's not true!!
    The reeboks were designed to be proper ply shoes, but from light materials. Carbon fibre type stuff. For the reasons you mentioned, a time based WOD that combines lifting with jumps, pull/muscle ups or running.

So they're a compromise then? And not a dedicated oly shoe? Again I say - waste of time!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Hanley wrote: »
    Want a shoe to lift in? Buy a lifting shoe. Simples.

I agree. Buy a proper lifting shoe. If you are doing some metcon that has a mix of stuff like running and lifting where you can't wear a lifting shoe just get a decent pair of flats that are ok for running and lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Anybody ever use the crossfit style shoes?
    For the people who aren't sure what they are;
    Similar shape to oly shoes, but light weight. So sacrificing some of the solidness of the base, to be less of a burden in other exercises. The heel wouldn't be as big either.
    Obviously they won't be of use to pure oly lifters. But i'm thinking they might be suitable for more general stuff (obviously good for DF too)

The first ones aren't "Crossfit" shoes, they are basically the same idea as the Rogue Rips.
    It isn't a misnomer. It is intended to be a general shoe for raw powerlifters. Its got a lower heel lift than an olympic lifting shoe. They would be quite solid in the sole if they are the same idea (and I believe they are)

Oly shoes are probably better for squatting in though.
    And flatfoot is probably better for deadlifting.

I have a pair of the rogue rips and I use them for cleans or log stuff.
    That's about all, I used to squat in and they were better than chucks.

I know nothing of those other monstrosities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

From reading a couple of articles about the Adidas ones, yeah, they are aimed at raw PL as well as Crossfit type training.

However, I would say that it has been mentioned that heel can compress under heavier loads meaning they mightn't be much use at all to a strong, raw power lifter.

Solution: buy the proper lifting shoes.
    Buy nice, don't buy twice & all that.

Hanley wrote: »
    If true, that's BS. They're a pair of bloody shoes. You don't need to "learn" them. Wow. Everyone's so obsessed with how complicated and superawesome the most mundane things are. I really hope it's not true!!
    That something that i got from a footnote on a page of CF recomendations. I very may have taken a mis-interpeted idea and further skewed it.
    So they're a compromise then? And not a dedicated oly shoe? Again I say - waste of time!! :)
    I'm honestly not sure.

If the marketing BS is to be believed, they're as strong as oly shoes, but lighter. The drop is something like .75"
    d'Oracle wrote: »
    The first ones aren't "Crossfit" shoes, they are basically the same idea as the Rogue Rips.
    It isn't a misnomer. It is intended to be a general shoe for raw powerlifters. Its got a lower heel lift than an olympic lifting shoe. They would be quite solid in the sole if they are the same idea (and I believe they are)
    TY
    As I said, I came accross them from a CF article, so my source was obvious off.

I currently use flat puma trainers. The ones with the v.low profile sole. These are used for most lifting stuff. I'm looking for something to replace these soon.
    I don't think i'll be getting proper oly shoes. I can't be bother with the hassle of changing shoes for different exercises. Obviously the two above aren't going to be as good as Adistars for oly lifting. But if they offered any advantage over flat in squats and cleans, and could still be worn for everything else I'd consider them. The only awkward exercise on those days is depth jumps/box jumps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

But if they offered any advantage over flat in squats and cleans, and could still be worn for everything else I'd consider them. The only awkward exercise on those days is depth jumps/box jumps

Again I can't say for the reeboks but the power lifts will offer an advantage for squats and cleans, but will be inferior to proper oly shoes in that regard.

Way I see it, squats and cleans are serious business. Buy the right shoes for the job and change for other exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

2004 adistars going cheap on nerlinger.com if you happen to be a size 4 or 12.5 :p

61ecebc2c7c34758d4800622960a3a66.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blakeholder

The Reebok olys are actually very good shoes. They're made of real leather and sturdy as hell. We have a guy in our guy that squats 220kg wearing them so I have no concerns about their ability to support heavy lifts. I've yet to see how they hold up over time with repeated Oly lifts like a split jerk, which is hell on a pair of shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ironside are getting more Adidas in for 100e at end of March. See Facebook for details. Not sure if it's open to non members

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Sangre wrote: »
    Ironside are getting more Adidas in for 100e at end of March. See Facebook for details. Not sure if it's open to non members

Yep its open to non members alright. We should have a permanent stock soon of a range of stuff thats difficult to get in Ireland at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

cc87 wrote: »

Was set on the Adistars until I read this article! Says that they don't suit wide feet. I'm a size 9, but my feet are quite wide. Anyone with wide feet have any issue with the adistars?

Also anyone any views on the legitimacy of this website for buying them: http://www.trainersadidas.co.uk/sale/561107-adidas-Sport-Weightlifting-adiStar-Weightlifting-Shoes-1170.html?cur=EUR

Decent price which includes shipping, but don't think it's an official adidas vendor/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

looks dodgy, their contact page is a gmail address:
    http://www.trainersadidas.co.uk/Contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

Yeah, also a google search revealed a multitude of bad reports. AVOID!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blakeholder

Going to that site immediately threw a red flag with Mal-Ware Bytes. Not a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Looking for some advice about weightlifting shoes, please!

I'm starting to learn the Olympic lifts and wondering if I should start as I mean to go on, and get a pair of weightlifting shoes, or am I being a gear-obsessed newbie? I do powerlifting-style training at the moment, so I'm guessing I would also get wear out of them for squats (not deadlifts, obviously)?

Any advice on where to buy? This Austrian site seems to have ok prices (and delivery is free) http://www.nerlinger.com/
    Does anyone have any experience buying from them?

Are the Adipowers any better than the Power Perfect II, or is it just extra expense for teh seksee Dorothy-red-shoes new model?

Lots of questions, I'd be grateful for any direction, thanks!

If you're sticking long term, get them. You'll have to get em eventually sure.

Both shoes are good, I love my red ones so much.

I had the 2004 model Adistars that I got in 2006, and could still 100% use them now if I wanted. But I like shiny things, so go the new model. Treat the shoe well and they'll last a lifetime. Great investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Thanks for your help, Hanley.:)

Just ordered the Adipowers from the Nerlinger website. I expect to turn into Dmitry Klokov any day now. *books week off work for self-perving*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Thought I'd give this a bump.

New colour adipowers out sometime this year.

http://gaponez.com/index.php?productID=12424&ukey=product&did=34

Adidas_Weightlifting_Shoes_AdiPower_M25733_1_enl.jpg

Want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

They are sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

They are sexy.

Aren't they? I'd say they'll be an absolute pain in the arse to keep clean :D

Look like they'll be out in June

https://twitter.com/irenzR/status/421389198466088960/photo/1

BdkTPjSCYAAllM6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Has anyone ever tried any of the Do-Win shoes?

DylanJM wrote: »
    Aren't they? I'd say they'll be an absolute pain in the arse to keep clean :D

Why do you think they'd be hard to keep clean?
    The gym isn't really a mucky environment. I'd say my lifting shoes are my only footwear that don;t get destroyed my rain, dirt and people standing on them.

Ah ****ing jaysus. Looks like I'll be buying another new pair of lifting shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Yellow Power Perfect 2.0's are nice looking too

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-training-powerlift-20-shoes/AU517

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Has anyone ever tried any of the Do-Win shoes?

Never worn them but what do you want to know? They're usually wider and higher than Adidas or Nike. If they've a wooden heel they'll be heavier too.

Those white adipowers are beautiful. There may be a black version too. Thank ****, I hate the red ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Never worn them but what do you want to know? They're usually wider and higher than Adidas or Nike. If they've a wooden heel they'll be heavier too.

The main thing I was wondering was are they reasonably well made? I'd only be squatting once maybe twice a week (no oly lifting) and wouldn't mind a sub 100 quid pair of shoes if they're something that will last a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

The main thing I was wondering was are they reasonably well made? I'd only be squatting once maybe twice a week (no oly lifting) and wouldn't mind a sub 100 quid pair of shoes if they're something that will last a couple of years.

People I know have worn them for weightlifting and they hold up fine. I'm sure they'd be grand for squats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Will they be priced the same as the red ones? Recently got perfect power 2's but they're too beautiful to resist:pac:

Advertisement