Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weightlifting shoes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Will they be priced the same as the red ones? Recently got perfect power 2's but they're too beautiful to resist:pac:

I'd say so. Adidas usually come out around 160 or so. They're the same shoe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The main thing I was wondering was are they reasonably well made? I'd only be squatting once maybe twice a week (no oly lifting) and wouldn't mind a sub 100 quid pair of shoes if they're something that will last a couple of years.

Get the power perfect 2.0s.
    They last forever & can be got for $90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

granted i skipped a lot of this discussion but I want to point out that a lot of guys who squat heavy etc. do it in their socks.
    are weightlifting shoes a gimmick?

genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They're not a gimmick but not everyone will need them and some, e.g. kevpants, find them counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

saucers82 wrote: »
    granted i skipped a lot of this discussion but I want to point out that a lot of guys who squat heavy etc. do it in their socks.

genuine question

Who the f*ck squats in their socks?

I use metal squats shoes, flat, grippy and the best shoe to wear IMO.

KevPants would prob find them good actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

The hole sock thing could potentially end in disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Da Za wrote: »
    Who the f*ck squats in socks

Anyone who knows what they're doing and doesn't own weightlifting shoes. Squatting in socks is the best alternative. I recently stopped squatting in socks but only because I bought a pair of power perfects.

Also in response to RidleyRider I'm not sure how you think squatting in socks is going to have disastrous consequences. It's certainly a lot better than squatting in running shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Anyone who knows what they're doing and doesn't own weightlifting shoes. Squatting in socks is the best alternative. I recently stopped squatting in socks but only because I bought a pair of power perfects.

Also in response to RidleyRider I'm not sure how you think squatting in socks is going to have disastrous consequences. It's certainly a lot better than squatting in running shoes.

Because if the floor is anyway slippy or you have sweaty feet see how it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Yeah I'd be worried about slipping if I squatted in socks.

I wear simple old converse, nice and flat. I'd be afraid to invest in lifting shoes incase I found that like KevPants I wasn't comfortable lifting in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My knock-off 'Cons' from Penneys do me just fine.

Yeah I'd be worried about slipping if I squatted in socks.

I wear simple old converse, nice and flat. I'd be afraid to invest in lifting shoes incase I found that like KevPants I wasn't comfortable lifting in them.

stop living in fear :)

saucers82 wrote: »

genuine question

They're not a gimmick, they're weightlifting shoes for weightlifting, as in the snatch and clean and jerk.

You don't need them to squat, especially powerlifting style squatting but they can help. They've a raised heel and more support around the ankle.

This is a pretty good video on the topic I think. I'd agree with most of what was said.

I wear Reezigs

You really shouldn't squat in running shoes at all. They don't provide a solid foundation for your feet while squatting. You'd be far better off going barefoot or using flat-soled shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I use metal squats shoes, flat, grippy and the best shoe to wear IMO.

KevPants would prob find them good actually.

What's wrong with socks? I train at home on a rough concrete floor so i don't have to worry about other peoples opinion of my smelly feet or slipping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Anyone who knows what they're doing

you obviously don't know what you are doing Da Za

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

This is a pretty good video on the topic I think. I'd agree with most of what was said.

He also advocates going high bar if you're wearing Oly shoes. Calls it a "hybrid stance". At first I balked at the fact that he's a child and he's not astronomically strong but I have to say he has some good insights and is prepared to change/admit when he's wrong.

After all these years I'm realising squat positioning is a lot more complicated than low bar + oly shoes = success.

kevpants wrote: »
    At first I balked at the fact that he's a child and he's not astronomically strong

We must have different ideas of what constitutes strong so. I think this guy is crazy strong!

Here he is squatting 225kg for 4 reps at just over 80kg bodyweight.

And here he is doing a 275kg deadlift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Thud wrote: »
    you obviously don't know what you are doing Da Za

F*ck, I guess I don't........I better sort **** out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

We must have different ideas of what constitutes strong so. I think this guy is crazy strong!

When he first started giving out training advice he had a 180kg max, most of his advice pre-dates those lifts. He's come on a lot and yeah he is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Hi all,

looking at getting a pair of weight lifting shoes and leaning towards the nike romaleos 2, as they seem to be the ones for wider feet.. Anyway found loads online but just wondering if there is anywhere in limerick area that does them? With the price of them id prefer to be able to try them on and get the sizing right.

thanks for any input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Picked up a pair of Power Perfect II's today , Can't wait to try em out! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

DylanJM wrote: »
    Aren't they? I'd say they'll be an absolute pain in the arse to keep clean :D

Look like they'll be out in June

https://twitter.com/irenzR/status/421389198466088960/photo/1

BdkTPjSCYAAllM6.jpg

Noice, they're very like the old Ironworks III.

098486.jpg

The worst thing about the Adipowers is cleaning the little chambers along the heel, they get so dusty. I use a small paintbrush to dust them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Is there a strength standard you should aim for before buying lifting shoes or are you better off starting out squatting etc with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

will56 wrote: »
    Is there a strength standard you should aim for before buying lifting shoes or are you better off starting out squatting etc with them ?

If you're serious about weight lifting , I'd get them , they don't magically make you any stronger. But they feel much more solid to lift in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Another new colour for the Adipower.

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/training-adipower-weightlifting-shoes/DA847?cid=V24382

M21865_01?wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=92,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1.1,0.5,1,0

Not sure if I like that. The white looks better.

There's a Romaleo 3 on the way as well apparently.

I've noticed when watching oly lifting competitions on youtube that very few lifters opt for adipowers with a much higher proportion going for the power perfects or do wins etc. Is there a reason for this, or are my observations just a bit off?

• Advertisement

I've noticed when watching oly lifting competitions on youtube that very few lifters opt for adipowers with a much higher proportion going for the power perfects or do wins etc. Is there a reason for this, or are my observations just a bit off?

Perfects came out first. There's a fairly even split between perfects, powers and nike but most top guys seem to go for the powers if they have adidas. I'd say more will be using powers as time goes on.

Anyone I know who's changed from perfects to powers thinks the powers are better. I'll be sure to let everyone know when I buy my own.

I like the whites but those black ones are seriously nice too.

Advertisement